Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise

The Journey to Paradise Photos of great cultural and natural beauties of Papua New Guinea

Old 25-08-2003, 07:23 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Papua New Guinea Holiday - a visitor recalls her families visit to PNG!

We were invited by my cousin & her family to spend a holiday up in Kavieng, New Ireland. Both of them had been working up there for the last 3 yrs, he with the Fisheries, & her as a volunteer doctor. We had never heard too much about the area, except through them, & they had always raved about how beautiful it was. So we were pretty keen to go, as we love to visit "Off-the-Track" places, & what a perfect opportunity to go, having family up there to show us around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kavieng-beach-nice-pic.jpg (54.1 KB, 183 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 25-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

My husband was keen to call into Port Moresby, for a look, & see anything to do with the Kokoda Trail, seeing as it was close to the ANZAC time of year, that we would be travelling. However, the reports about Port Moresby were a bit frightening, & our most commonly asked question, when we told them we were going to PNG, was "Why?''

Having 2 young children, I must admit I was getting a little nervous at the idea of looking around a city that didn't seem to have a very good reputation for safety, or public transport. So I got onto the PNG Tourism & Business Directory website www.pngbd.com & enquired as to the situation of travelling with 2 children, around the area. We were very thankful to be very kindly looked after, by them during our stay at Amber's Inn.

Editors Note: I received an email from Sarah, who asked several questions in relation to their safety if they were to stay in Port Moresby for a few days on transit to Kavieng. They had planned to hire a car and drive around themselves.

Due to the location of their accommodation coupled with their lack of local knowledge of the area in which they would be staying, I did not recommend hiring a car. Instead I came up with various other options which enabled them to enjoy their stay in Port Moresby and to see what Port Moresby had to offer and at the same time keep them safe and out of harms way.

If you do not know your way around, you would be driving slow, stopping to check road maps etc which is not a good idea as you could then become a target. For oldtimers who know our city, no worries, or even for those who stick to our main highway into town, but some more out of the way places, you could put yourselves at risk due only to unfamiliarity of our city.

We want to keep you all safe during your visit to PNG so you put positive comments out in the marketplace just like this email I received and posted here for your enjoyment.....remember always a little bit of common sense goes a long way, dont be afraid to ask.

In any country, local knowledge plays a big part in keeping you safe and allows you to visit, enjoy and return hopefully another day.

Photograph: Richard and their children as seen here in the Botantical Gardens in Port Moresby. The children were really thrilled when this small bird came, stood in front of them and said HELLO!, HELLO! - I must say I too got a shock and found myself saying HELLO, HELLO right back to him !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richard-and-children-with-b.jpg (75.4 KB, 173 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Whilst there, we were shown around the Botanical Gardens, The National Museum, The Arts Trade Centre,where we bought some beautiful carvings, as well as taken to the ANZAC Memorial Cemetry, and the Start of the Kokoda Trail. These were all well worth seeing, and although, there were many things that were pretty scary, it was all very interesting to see, and learn a bit about what Port Moresby is like, & why it is.

Photograph - Anzac Day, Dawn Service - 2003 at the Boman War Cemetery:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gravesites-2.jpg (47.9 KB, 194 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:49 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

We then made our way to Kavieng, where life is very relaxed, & our first afternoon was spent on a Catamaran cruising around the islands, watching the sunset, & chilling out!

Next Day we headed off to a small village on the east side of New Ireland to stay for a couple of nights. On our way there, we stopped at a beautiful swimming hole, where the kids jumped off ropes into the water, amongst tall tropical trees, with the local kids. We also stopped at a couple of other villages, on the way, to say hello to the local families. Just driving through the country side was fun, with heaps to see, & people to wave to.

Swimming Hole, Kavieng, New Ireland Province:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterhole.jpg (56.4 KB, 184 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

The village was like a tropical paradise. We had a great time while staying with a very hospitable family, who were friends of my cousin. The beach was beautiful, just out of a picture post-card, with a lovely river running beside it, out of the hill-side. Our whole family had heaps of fun exploring the area, & we even took a dug-out canoe, out to see some dolphins. We didn't want to leave, but we still had lots of other places to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grassy-area.jpg (65.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Once back in Kavieng, we spent time out amongst the small islands surrounding Kavieng, fishing as we went. That area has some of the most spectacular diving in the world, & we went to various different spots & had a wonderful time snorkelling. We couldn't believe the variety and colour of the fish, & coral walls, it was just spectacular!

The kids had an absolute ball. We found the local people to be extremely warm, & friendly, & the children were a delight, & very inquisitive. We felt very priviledged to be able to see them go about their everyday business, such as fishing, preparing meals and even building a woven palm roof! They very kindly allowed us to use their dugouts on more than one occasion, so that we could reach more areas to snorkell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underwater-pic.jpg (63.0 KB, 196 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

The area around Kavieng also has alot of WW2 history. On the coral reef in front of my cousins house, there were the remains of 3 or 4 tanks that had been left to rot away. We also saw a plane wreckage, and an old Japanese bunker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kavieng-beach-2.jpg (71.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 25-08-2003, 07:57 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Overall, we had a wonderful time, with lovely people, in a devine setting....what more could you want?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kavieng-beach.jpg (43.6 KB, 182 views)