Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 21-10-2002, 01:02 PM

CourtneyLondon is on a distinguished road
Talking horse stables in lae

Gosh it has absolutely been a while since i thought of Papua New Guinea...Ive been researching about PNg all night...im just trying to learn about where PNG is at nowadays..My father lives there, but he doesnt report back nice news, lol its all guns and break ins...
like, is there a SOCIAL LIFE in png these days?!
i used to ride in the stables in LAE when i was younger, yea i even grew up there til i was about 9..i have a good memory of it tho...
does anyone know MDC?

drop me a line, i'd love to hear from a papua new guinean, or anyone whos been there before?

take care all

courtney

analyzerinlondon@aol.com

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 21-10-2002, 01:37 PM

Scott Martin is on a distinguished road
When were you in Lae, where did you go to school, where did you live???????

I don't wish to pry but this information is invaluable to readers who perhaps knew you, or knew someone that may remember you or your family. Lets face it, Lae is/wasn't a very big place.
Old 21-10-2002, 01:41 PM

lae...

well...BULAE was the name of the school...i know it was quite big...my father owns the chain of the MDC (spare parts) stores..so i dunno..someone MIGHT remember me, i was just a kid tho...we moved in 1991 i believe....!!!

i remember LAE LODGE as well...haha those were the days, barymonday by the pool....

do u know what im talking about?
Old 21-10-2002, 01:48 PM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
Hi Courtney if you check out the Port Moresby forum you'll see some pics of the night life in pom.... we're going to post some pics from Planet Rock which is in Lae.... was it there when you were in Lae?

Welcome on board
Old 21-10-2002, 01:51 PM

nah, it wasnt there...not that i could remember...there was no nightlife or anything like that to my knowledge...just a nice place, but full of betelnut hahaha....
my mum used to be jehovahs witness...they have a church kind of thing there...do you know it?
this is bringing so much to mind of my childhood...it is very vivid...actually, not far from the stables is my father's shop of MDC...maybe someone here knows Jim Tobago? a close family friend of ours?
Old 21-10-2002, 02:07 PM

Have sent you a private message but it appears that you lived in Lae well after my family and I had departed.
I hope you enjoy looking at the old and new photos of Lae, as well as the Bulae threads.
Old 23-10-2002, 01:00 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
I guess the stables should still be there because there were horses in the Lae / Morobe Show held last weekend 18 & 19th October, 2002.

My daughter used to own a horse and yes, we were the parents paying for the up keep...haha Her name was Cheree and she went finish from Lae in 1986.

But it did keep my daughter happy and gave her something to do after school and out of mischief.

I had two of our staff in Lae to take pictures of the show and they did a drive around so look for some more photos in the near future of how Lae is today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horses.jpg (25.8 KB, 933 views)
Old 23-10-2002, 01:03 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Does anyone remember the lake adjacent to the Lae Showgrounds ?

I can remember vividly driving around this part of town after many a ball and seeing numerous cars in the big wide drains that did not quite make it home from a heavy night on the booze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake-outside-showgrounds.jpg (23.3 KB, 943 views)
Old 23-10-2002, 04:47 AM

awwww.thanks aussie..you ever think of returning? do you ever visit png?

haha....geez I am still here....arrived in 1972...had only two years on the Gold Coast and lived in PNG ever since !

Lived in Hagen in 1972 - Lae 1973 - 1986 - Port Moresby from 1990 - 1993 and the remainder here in Port Moresby

Old 23-10-2002, 09:40 AM

When I was growing up in Lae there were two distinct lakes, seperated by a narrow channel, across the road from the showgrounds. They were commonly referred to as the "Roundwater". During the period 1969 to 1974 (when I was 11 to 16 years of age) my family lived on the other side of the lakes at the end of Cassia Crescent. Back then the area was a tropical jungle with numerous walking tracks throughout. A large freshwater spring was in the middle that formed a small pond that then flowed into the lakes. The council later cleared the area so that the lakes were visible from our front stairs.
Word was that the lakes were old quarries used to source material when the original airstrip in the middle of town was built during the war.
As kids we practically lived at the "Roundwater"; swimming, fishing, diving for clams, hunting ducks and jumping of a cliff face into one of the lakes.
Before I left Lae in 1974 the lakes had become totally overgrown with a water weed and were no fun to swim in. Dangerous too no doubt.
I later heard that the lakes had been filled in. It appears that was not the case.

Last edited by Scott Martin; 23-10-2002 at 03:15 PM.