Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Sepik River

Sepik River Adventures along the sepik river in Papua New Guinea

Old 16-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
The Sepik is a mighty piece of nature and you don't realise its enormity and power until you plough its waterways.

It's an amazing part of PNG's natural attractions and, as much as its is awesome in terms of the amount of water that flows through it, it is the source of life and livelihood for some of PNG's best-known tribes.

Apart from its importance as a life source for its people, the Sepik River has given PNG some unique arts forms that are expressed in primitive woodcarvings and pottery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sepik-art-forms-+-japs.jpg (29.9 KB, 270 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Perhaps the most creative among that wealth of Sepik ceramic creativity is the pottery of Aibom Village, a quiet, peaceful and lively river community tucked away behind Chambri Lakes.

Aibom was the reason for our journey with this group of Japanese friends over thousands of air, road and river kilometres.

The bio-diversity of the Sepik River is equally exciting and enthralling. There are numerous species of water birds and fishes that provide the riverpeople with the main source of protein. Among them are carp, phaku, and Tilapia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sepik-river.jpg (114.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

But it is the crocodile that rules supreme in these waterways, a predator that is seen differently by the river inhabitants, not as an enemy but as a friend and a source of inspiration for the numerous creative artistic expressions in face and body paintings, skin cutting ceremonies, intricate wood carvings that carry deep ritualistic meaning and designs on pottery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sepik-village.jpg (54.0 KB, 258 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:39 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Our hosts at Aibom Village were the school headmaster Aiwo and his nephew Jerry, who prepared a new house for us.

The only additions to the basic comfort of the house were mosquito nets that I brought from Port Moresby, four cartons of bottled water and the numerous cans of insect repellent that the Japanese visitors packed as vital ammunition against malaria.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pottery-making.jpg (30.6 KB, 270 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:41 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The program at Aibom included a village visit where the visitors mingled with the locals to learn about their traditional lifestyles, a visit to the local school where the visitors spent an hour teaching Aibom children.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg young-boy.jpg (23.1 KB, 244 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:45 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

A pottery demonstration was organised, which included pottery-making participation by the group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg making-pottery.jpg (25.4 KB, 262 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:47 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Even with the bad experience on the road, the trip to Aibom was a memorable experience for our visitors. Not only did they come to visit the site of the famous art of the Sepik potters; there was also an exchange of values and cultures through the teaching session at the local school.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-men-with-pottery-they-mad.jpg (22.3 KB, 260 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

A tea ceremony was held in the village to mark the formal end of foods and dishes such as sago, taro, sweet pawpaw and bananas, and to cap it all off, 'mumu kakaruk' a special PNG dish that the Windjammer Beach Motel is known for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tea-drinking-ceremony.jpg (24.4 KB, 257 views)
Old 16-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

For the visitors, they came, they saw and they left... and they say they will return again one day for this unique PNG experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady-kneeling-with-pottery.jpg (22.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 19-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The Sepik region is a wonderland of islands, beautiful coastline, river systems and mountain ranges. It is the site of the Japanese surrender in September 1945, and a history rich in human endeavour. The Sepik people provide the mystery and exotic folklore of this fascinating area.

The lifeline to this area - the Sepik River - runs 1126 kilometres from its source in the central mountains to the sea. Local living is in stilt houses grouped into villages where usually the central focus is the Haus Tambaran (Spirit House). Visit villages rich in cultural and artistic tradition. For the 'adventure junkies' travel by dugout canoes or cruise in comfort aboard the boats that explore this area.

Source: Paradise Live - http://www.paradiselive.org.pg/overview.html