Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Rabaul / Kokopo - East New Britain Province

Old 27-01-2004, 12:04 PM

gail is on a distinguished road
Greetings

How fascinating I found the pictures....and ashamed that I knew so little about the destruction caused. I will certainly be interested in reading more.
Gail

Last edited by gail; 17-03-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Do not wish to be contacted about message... thankyou
Old 27-01-2004, 04:42 PM

boosta is on a distinguished road
I saw a frangipani tree which had a purpley-blue flower, it was growing in Rabaul at the Orchard Park on Namanula Hill. Im not sure if it is still there.
I'll get back to you on this as i think theres a purpley-blue frangipani tree growing in my mothers village as well.
Old 27-01-2004, 05:36 PM

gail is on a distinguished road
Thankyou so very much Boost

Last edited by gail; 17-03-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Do not wish to be contacted about message....thankyou
Old 04-06-2005, 01:42 AM

sidieachic is on a distinguished road
Excellent shots, am curious, any shots of present day Rabaul?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 PM

john robert smi is on a distinguished road
Forever grateful...John Smith
Old 30-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Pacificblu_72 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Incredible Images

Excellent images of Rabaul!

Last edited by Pacificblu_72; 20-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Jackb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hi Mangi Sunam

Thanks for your magnificent commentary on the volanic eruption in Rabaul. I am a Tolai but was not there or in PNG but overseas and still am when it erupted and I understood exactly what you said. I miss the chance to see what happen but I love the photos even though sad to see the town in ruins. I was also wondering if I could ask you if possible that you might allow me to download some of your great pictures of the eruption for a blog that I am doing on Rabaul. Please let me know here if that is possible. Many Thanks.
Regards
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todez55 View Post
Rabaul is the only urban settlement in the world built inside an active volcanoe caldera making it the most picturesque town in Papua New Guinea and giving the town one of the best all-weather harbours in the world.

The caldera is the home of a number of dormant and actice volcanoes and the Tolai people who live near these have a saying " Tikana pakana takaum kilala na nilaun - una gire ra kaia na vuvuai" - " Once in your lifetime you will experience a volcanic eruption." This was proved once again in the early hours of the morning of Sunday, 18 September 1994, as subterranean volcanic activity began violently shaking the Gazelle Peninsula, heralding the coming events.

At 6:00am on Monday, 19 September, Tavurvur volcano commenced destroying Rabaul town and the surrounding villages of Talwat, Nordup, Matalau, Rabuana, Korere, Rapolo and Matupit. This was followed about one hour later on the other side of Simpson Harbour when another volcano, Vulcan (Kalamanagunan), vented itself upon the villages Raluan, Valaur, Tavana, Latlat, Rapolo, Karavia and Malaguna, burying them with Tephra and destroying the property and livelihood of thousands of people.

This pictorial will give future Generations some idea of the tragedy and devastation that commenced in Rabaul and its environment on that fateful day in 1994.
Old 28-10-2010, 08:28 PM

mariaclarie is on a distinguished road
Steam rises from the waters surrounding nearby Rabaul volcano, in Rabaul, Papua New Guinea on Sunday, April 13, 2008.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volc14.jpg (124.4 KB, 16 views)