Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 22-10-2010, 03:31 AM

angelfish is on a distinguished road
Tok Pisin - Help with university study!

Dear members of the PNG forum,
we visited your beautiful country and found only friendly and helpful people there, so I'm very optimistic, that some people here in the forum will help me with the following problem.

I study English at Graz University (Austria, Europe ) and at the moment I'm doing a seminar on how people express emotions in different languages.
As Tok Pisin has a rather small vocabulary many of my colleagues think that it's hard to express real joy, anger, etc. in such a "limited" language.
Please help me prove they're wrong!

My presentation will certainly be a success, because I'll show some pictures of PNG and tell the people what a wonderful countries it is to visit. But it will be a lot better, if you send me your contributions!!

I would like you to imagine what you would say in Tok Pisin in the following situations and write to me what you'd say either in this thread or in a private message. It's very important that you do not write polite formulations like in a letter. You should just write down what you really would say in Tok Pisin if...

1) you had just won a million dollars.

2) you made/bought a beautiful cake for the birthday of your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend and now you discover your little brother/sister/kid has just finished eating half of it and made a mess of the rest.

3) your best friend told you that his/her brother had a car accident and is now badly hurt lying in hospital.

Yu ken rait dispela, plis? Mi mas painim help. Tenkyu tru!

Birgit

Last edited by angelfish; 22-10-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 PM

Hi,
I really just need a few phrases, not much effort involved. I'm sure that some people here can speak Tok Pisin. Please write!
Kind regards,
Birgit
Old 13-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Hi again,
I haven't received any answers yet and I've only got 3 weeks left until I've got to do my presentation. If you speak Tok Pisin, please send me a few phrases. Neither the phrases nor your name will be published in written form, I will only use the examples in a presentation in a seminar at university to reinforce my argumentation that Tok Pisin is a medium just like other languages to express emotions.
Tenky tru!
Birgit
Old 26-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Hi,
I no longer need any comments (got them somewhere else).
Birgit
Old 04-01-2011, 08:16 PM

melanesianway is on a distinguished road
Arrow Tok Pisin - Melanesian

Birgit,

I guess it was a short notice to leave your message on this forum. In terms of someone responding to your message, I can vividly see that timing was a factor - meaning not many people who could be able to speak both English and Tok Pisin could read you post.

Well, I am satisfied that you have at least on responded to you somewhere.

Here, I would like to ask if you can read this, please contact our melanesian youths who would want to help many students, researchers, tourists and travellers. These youths have formed a group known as The Melanesian Way Inc. Papua New Guinea and one way they are looking at is to help record the dying languages of PNG including Tok Pisin.

I suggest you keep in touch with them so that you get seek such help in the future very easily.

You can read what these young people are doing on this blog: http://melanesianway.blogspot.com/

Keep in touch!

Melanesian Way Admin -2011
Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Hi,
thanks a lot for the link! The page looks really interesting and I'll certainly get in touch with them.
Tenkyu!
Birgit
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM

melanesianway is on a distinguished road
thanks

Thanks we keep in touch.

http://melanesianway.blogspot.com

Mel Admin 2011.