Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby > Long Term Accommodation

Long Term Accommodation Apartments and Houses for those who live and work in Papua New Guinea

Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM

lochness is on a distinguished road
Smile

Never fear my friend, Russ is in the irrigation and pumps industry and has been for over 20 years, so I cant see him changing tact now.

I have been net hopping most of the day gathering further information about Port Moresby and have found conflicting information on varying subjects. Thank heaven we are a rather optimistic bunch.

So long as Lochy is safe then the rest should happily fall into place. He will be pleased about the soccer.

They are talking about his package including salary, accommodation, car and further negotioable expat benefits. After some searching I have a preliminary list of furnished home, removal expenses, annual leave, super, medical, school, possible Yacht club membership (apparently this is the one to be a member of -I am sure you can advise of this) and now your 'look see', which I would have insisted upon anyhow, I need to truly know what we are getting into, mind you my parents worked for Qantas for 25 years and we were dragged all over the planet and we survived .

Are there any preferences with regard to living areas? Better or worse, close to school, Yacht club (Russ is a mad keen deep sea angler in his off time), expat families, etc?

Thank you for replying so promptly to me, cheers Tony

Ness
Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonester
Lochness,

Seems like everyone is applying for jobs on PNG at the moment.

Tony
Hope not, that just makes our chances slimmer, well global roaming is the flavour of the moment
Old 15-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Hi again Tonester

Is this true

Quote "Make you emplyer quote your pay in Net AUD dollars.

The KIna is volatile.

There is GST on all goods.

There is income tax at 47% top rate. And it comes in at threshold around 40,000. So average tax on an expat salary is around 44%. And that tax goes to pay for the MP goons.

To be worth going you need to be on AUD 130,000+ and a house and car. You need to be in a compund too - else the kids have nowhere to go." end quote

I am curious about the income tax, that's a lot of tax, isnt it? Or is that normal. i dont earn $120,000.00 AUS dollars per year so am unsure of tax amounts, but gosh thats seems to be alot, even too naieve little old me

Thanks Tony

Ness
Old 15-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Ian P is on a distinguished road
Hi, we are due to arrive at the end of September, we are just going through the visa process, we have been told that we are likely to be housed in the Chesterfield apartments, does anyone by chance have any photos that they could show us or give us a description of the apartments, mainly so we know what to bring or not etc....
Cheers Ian P
Old 15-08-2008, 07:57 PM

shazza is on a distinguished road
ian p

the chesterfield apartments are located downtown Port Moresby where the majority of expats live - i beleive that there are photos of the aprtments through the living in port moresby thread look up 'aussie' as she is the brains behind this forum and posted alot fo infomration including photos of Moresby and its areas, shops, offices etc. you should be able to find photos there
as to what to bring i think the apartments are furnished - your employers should be able to give you this info too..
cheers and good luck!
Old 15-08-2008, 11:43 PM

Shazza, thanks for the heads up, we will check it out.

Cheers
Old 18-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Tony,

Thanks so much for taking the time to take some photos, much appreciated!

Cheers
Ian P
Old 18-08-2008, 04:16 PM

shazza is on a distinguished road
Tonester

i was in pom in july and saw some awesome apartments in town overlooking the harbour - they have a semi-circle shape and are on davetari dr just above the yachtie - do you know who they belong to? just seemed like incredible architecture compared to alot of apartemnt blocks in Pom
cheers
p.s. you are a real big help for all those overseas people looking at moving to pom
Old 13-04-2009, 06:32 PM

new kangaroo is on a distinguished road
Question Recreational activities

Shazzar or anyone,

I am coming to Port Moresby from Melbourne in a month's time on a 3 year contract. I like fishing, tennis, squash, badminton, movies and karaoke. I am sure there's plenty of these over there.

I will be on work visa/permit, what about my girl friend/ partner? we are not married yet?
Old 13-04-2009, 09:07 PM

new kangaroo is on a distinguished road
Wink Tonester speaks my language

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I owe you a beer, xxxx or Vic bitter?