Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby > Long Term Accommodation

Long Term Accommodation Apartments and Houses for those who live and work in Papua New Guinea

Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM

whiteangel is on a distinguished road
Smile

[quote]Roboguy
Jus an advise from what i hav gathered( my frens whom had lived & stayed there for few years)- Robberies & Thief (at your house or anywhere) can't be avoided at POM.the robbers sneak in your house & demand for cash & rob your belongings -If u still wan ur life -u gotta give them anything. It really suckssss!! Not safe to go out at night too.
For any of the clubs is not safe to join too because there is too messy & u may get 'marked' by any of local rascal's & follow u home & gets rob. The best hint-i can provide to you is STAY AT HOME WHEN YOU NOT AT WORK,TATS ALL. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY THOUGHTS.
Hopes this helps & nice to know you too!!
Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 PM

There isn't any hobbies & gatherings tat seemed interesting at POM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM

shazza is on a distinguished road
roboguy and wife, my suggestion to you is to become familiar with Port Moresby as soon as you get there, take a drive around look at where the shops are; downtown Port Moresby is where most of the office, banks, commercial offices are located, there is a rather large supermarket called Andersons where alot of people do their shopping - Waigani is the political and diplomatic hub but it also has shops like Stop n Shop and the renowned Boroko Foodworld which is very popular as a supermarket and has a nice coffee shop - then you have Boroko where the major Post Office is allocated and a large open market where locals sell handicrafts and other products, you may also discover that there are several markets where the locals sell produce and other products (Gordons market, Koki market etc. but i suggest you visit them once you are comfortable and settled in, it would be a good idea to go there with a local friend or someone that knows the market scenario really well). There will be areas wher you do not feel comfortable with and so go with your instinct and try to avoid those places .....Ddriving in and around Pom is quite a challenge at times, there seems to be a strange logistic but expats get around quite easily!!

As far as being a target for criminals you will see and hear once you get there that the majority of people being attacked or mugged are actually the locals themselves...it is a very unfortunate situation that is common within major centers

Most of the 'old time' residents of pom have had at one stage or another a 'close encounter' with criminals including me- i was fortunate enough to be able to speak fluent pidgin and to communicate that << i was not going to give them the keys to my car and that they should bugger off >> you will find that when such an incident occurrs the more noise you make to attract attention from the people the more help you'll get
However, having said this if you should ever have an incident or accident happen to you or your wife while you are driving DO NOT stop, instead head to the nearest police station and report whatever has happened to you immediately

SO my honest opinion about safety issues in Pom are that to be vigilant, never complacent or distracted and always alert....the majority of expats live in compounds or large aprtment blocks so you will get used to this type of environment and feel comfortable in it -

try to be relaxed and enjoy the city - you must try to visit the other areas of PNG like the Highlands, the Islands which are spectacular and the people are amazing...so get ready to have a unique experience Living in Paradise!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:27 PM

surveyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza
As far as being a target for criminals you will see and hear once you get there that the majority of people being attacked or mugged are actually the locals themselves...it is a very unfortunate situation that is common within major centers
You name the country and its the same scenario. My home is Mangagoy on Mindanao, a place many avoid for the same reasons they might avoid PNG. Negative press. I had trouble once in 10 years and it cost me a pair of cowboy boots and a rather long motorcyle ride home barefooted.

Personally, I dont have any fears of the raskols in PNG. My fear is boredom. I havent been there yet but my feeling is that I wont need to fear either.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonester
What a LOAD OF CRAP !!!!!!
Tonester,

I'm jus telling from info which i hav gathered from few frens whom stay at POM for quite a few years.These situations are wat they really hav experienced & jus like to share with others. NO OFFENSE OK!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Tonester,

Good advise u had there~Cheers!!
Mayb u're right,my ex-pat fren staying there was jus 'sterotype' bcos ASIAN ppl's mind are conservative.Hopes tis make clear idea for u.
Since i'm totally unaware of this new 'strange' culture place~ tats the comment i had heard from them(they stayed at POM) which gave me the 1st impression (real bad).Instead i decided to voice out their comments at the thread here & find out if its really tat bad.
Almost 80% of ex-pats tells the same to me but i assume this is only their personel point of view-Let's jus take it an experience of wat we hav heard since i,myself had not been there too.

I see another diff world of PNG after i ve read your words,hopefully i really does enjoy stay at PNG.
Gets puzzled on wat u mean by 'give my child a valuable experience~' well,any suggestions of activities there? So far,i cannot get any good details on activities at wewak-not even s good pre school(it seem tat tis is an old fashioned/boring place)-hence,any idea?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM

sbort is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm sick and tired of these mis-conceptions. That make this great country look bad in the eyes of the world.

I can almost gaurantee that your "friend" is a stereoype (that I see very often), they usually:
Spend theire entire contract in their compound.
They are afraid of anyone that has a dark skin.
They think everyone is going to rob them.
They have leave their air-cnditioners running 24x7
They drive at 200km/hr evrywhere with an armed gaurd in tow.
Walk around looking at the ground.
Don't integrate with PNG Nationals.
Tell everyone they know, "how bad PNG is".
I also notice that you are looking at Wewak. I can safely say that Wewak will be a much safer, quieter and boring place than Moresby.

All you need to do is:
Take some time to talk to your House Meri or the gaurds at your compound. You will soon realise they are human too. Be friends with them, take them shopping, drop them home if the buses are not working, pay for their bus fares, give them meals(it wont cost you much, but it means the world to people whom live in a society that has no "social system")
Make as many friends with nationsals that you can. They are much nicer than most of the ex-pats

If you don't become a sterotype and take Shazza's & my advice, you will
make the most loyal and best friends you could ever make.
see what PNG is really like
have thest 3-4 years of your life
give your children a very valuable experience.
never go home.
Just my 2 toea worth

Tony
Beautifully said Tonestar.....
Either that or whiteangels friend does not want to share their fortune with a wantok......lol
Old 12-08-2008, 01:05 AM

Smile

Quote:
If you integrate you will have a great time !!

Wewak is like a little town, but very safe !

With the pre-school, look into www.iea.ac.pg and call them.

Regarding your children:
Going to an international school will allow your children to mix with other cultures. My childrens best friends are PNG National, Chinese, Malaysian, Indian, Australian, NZ and English,
They would never have had that oppurtunity in Australia.
An a true international eductation can be a very valuable asset in the future.

Tony

So far from wat i had gathered(not sure is the correct info) Wewak international school only hav local PNG national there-is a small town after all when compares to POM.
Will try to get a detailed by calling the school.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM

lochness is on a distinguished road
Tonster, if you dont mind me asking how old are your children?. My husband has begun negotioation towards a position, we have no details so far he is in the very early frows, although I do vaguely remember something about Port Moresby? we have one son who is about to turn 11 and I am simply wondering how your children find the area, culture etc. He is outgoing and open to change and this may be a great opportunity for us all. We realise life is what you make of it and previous posts both terrify and excite me. As you know yourself you would never endanger your childrens lives and I just want to find out more before my husband accepts anything. Cheers. lochness
Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Ian P is on a distinguished road
Hi Roboguy,
Have a look at www.skerah.com and in this site you can go to the Aviat club which seems like a good spot to start meeting people.
Cheers
Ian P