Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Photos and Scenery of Papua New Guinea

Photos and Scenery of Papua New Guinea We welcome your photos of Papua New Guinea in here. This is an exclusively photo only area. Comments or questions should go into the Tourism Discussion area.

Old 20-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Raluana Local Level Government

RALUANA LLG is short of land. Yet the issue has not hindered its inhabitants to economize and make use of little land and opportunity they have. In fact Raluana can rightly boast of being a leader in education and modernisation.

Their modern homes and general lifestyle is testimony to the scope of development in the LLG which consist of 21 wards and has a population figure of 13,105 people. A total of K52,617.16 under RAP fund was allocated to Raluana LLG for ward development projects.

The allocation was used to maintain and renovate existing infrastructure projects. More funding is required to fund and complete a number of community halls and water projects in the area. Of all projects, 60 per cent have been fully competed and another 40 per cent are still incomplete due to shortage of funds and materials.

A total of K5,000 was allocated to Vunapit Mong for a water supply project in 1997 and since then, actual implementation of the project is yet to eventuate. Allocation of RAP and SRDP funds for ward projects was distributed among the wards purposely for the maintenance and renovation of existing social infrastructures. Maintenance and renovations have also been completed on educational institutions and existing school facilities. Funding available to ward projects within the 21 wards was K50,617.16 under SRDP.

Due to land dispute in Barovon ward, the powerline project was not erected although funding was available.

Ninety per cent in this section have no developments although funds have been available but projects are still on hold due to land disputes.

Notable projects currently in progress are the Ravat-Malapau electrification project and Vunamurmur-Ralauna Roads.

The Raluana Community School.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ra;iama comm. school.gif (44.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 20-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Plan to improve delivery of goods, services

KOKOPO district has a four-year development plan in place.
The district has developed its plan as required by the new organic law on provincial and local level government.
The reform enabled wards, as the lowest political unit through the ward development committee to have an influence in the development of the ward and LLG through effective and fair representation.

The development plan arises from the need to accommodate the needs of the people of the district in the development process and to effectively mobilise available resources for productive use in line with the spirit of the OLP & LLG.Issues and needs were analysed as part of the "Bottom-Up Planning" approach which this plan prioritised into LLG level.

Out of these the District Strategic Objectives formulated include restoration and development consolidation, government reform implementation, effective land mobilisation, and integral human development.

According to Kokopo MP Sir Rabbie Namaliu, the planning process, if successfully adhered to will hopefully solve the developmental issues experienced in Kokopo district.

District annual works programs will contain identified annual projects in health, education, community development, lands, infrastructure (technical services), LLG, primary industry, commerce, industrial and tourism.

Sir Rabbie said he is pleased to have eventually seen the completion of the document which was devised through a comprehensive and consultative process.

He said: "I believe our priorities for the next five years (2000-2004) as identified in this document will be achieved through the improved delivery of goods and services.

"The district population deserves improved quality of government services and other development aspects.

"I also call upon my four LLG presidents and their respective executives to use this document as a tool in addressing the needs and concerns of their respective LLGs. There is a second part of the planning process which will guide in locating the district's scarce resources."

This, Sir Rababie said will therefore enable people to really see, feel and touch development in the four LLGs.

"Not only that we have a five-year Development Rolling Plan, but we are now able to know how to implement the Plan effectively.
"I am very pleased because apart from the plan, we also have the implementation strategies.

"Strategies are very important in planning. That is because a plan without implementation strategies is useless, because you wouldn't know how to put the plan into action and to review it.
"The commitment of my committee, the Kokopo JDP&BPC is to make available resources. I vision real development taking place in each of four LLG in the district for the next five years," said Sir Rabbie.
Old 20-04-2002, 02:34 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Transparency, accountability key to successful project implementation.

The expenditure of government and international donations in East New Britain but particularly in the Kokopo district has always been based on transparency and accountability. “If there are any delays encountered in regard to the implementation of some projects.

This was basically due to constant changes in the procedures and systems established by the National Government in remitting funds to the provinces and districts which are very slow and limited,” according Sir Rabbie Namaliu, who is also the chairman of the Kokopo Joint District Planning and Budget Priorities Committee.

This information has been extracted from the “Kokopo Open Electorate Rural Action Program, Social and Rural Development Program (SRDP) and District Support Grant (DSG) Projects Report – 1997-2000.”This expenditure paper of SRDP and DSG was presented to the Kokopo JDP&BPC, the PEC and the NEC in September, 2001 by sir Rabbie Namaliu. This report identifies the district projects within the four LLGs that have been implemented during the four-year period under the RAP, SRDP and DSG.

Kokopo District has succeeded in many initiatives and development strategies including its declaration as being the provincial headquarters. A great deal of emphasis is placed on the consolidation of development areas of health, education, agriculture, Law and Order and physical infrastructure development programs.

“My committee (JDP&PPC) is committed to making available logistics and resources to ensure that projects are implemented with careful planning and coordination to fulfill the needs and aspirations of the growing population. “What was provided has enabled us to establish those detailed projects specified in each of the four LLGs in the district as presented in this report.

“I congratulate the District Administration for the efforts rendered tirelessly in support and cooperation in putting together this project document. “I believe this is a way of being responsible in various areas that we serve by way of transparency and accountability that has been continuously emphasised by the government of the day,” said Sir Rabbie. Facts and Consideration

The Rural Action Program (RAP) is made up of two components namely; The District Support Grant (DSG) This is legally made available to all districts throughout the country. In its fiscal year, K500,000 is made available to its members. Fifty percent of this is controlled and directed by the Open Member and the other 50 percent is for members of JDP&BPC to recommend for projects.

Every member of the committee has a right to have a say over the allocation of this fund. Social and Rural Development Program The National Government in 1998 passed a Parliament Resolution to allocate one Million kina to each Open Member for Social and Rural Development Program.

This was to assist the 89 Open Electorate Members to support development programs in their respective areas on physical and social infrastructure and economic developments. Each of the four LLGs in the district were allocated K60,000.

The amount was reduced to K30,000 in 2000.Financial Application. Funds are made available to the district through the office of the Member of Parliament. It is the responsibility of the District Administration to guide and recommend proper use of both SRDP and DSG. District Support Grant total allocation in each fiscal year is K500,000. With this total amount, it is directed by the OLPGLLG to provide half of this which K250,000 is for members Discretionary Fund.

In 1997, each LLG was allocated K60,000 for projects. A total of K240,000 was spent on projects.In 1998, another K240,000 was used to fund projects and each LLG was allocated K60,000 while Kokopo/Vunamami Urban was allocated K116,000.

The estimate made was for K120,000 however only K45,000 was spent on projects. The break up are as follows; Kokopo/Vunamami Urban – K5000, Bitapaka – K30,000, Raluana – K5000 and Dkue of York – K5000.Social and Rural Development Program Following the resolution by the National Parliament in 1998, all Open Members are to be allocated one million kina.In 1999, a total of K1,053,628 was allocated to the district for development programs in areas like physical and social infrastructure and economic development.

The break up of K1,05,628 are as follows: Kokopo/Vunamami Urban – K342,701, Bitapaka – K393,556, Raluana – K181, 758, Duke of York – K115,613.The total K1,033,628 was actually spent out of K1,053,628. Social and Rural Development was given out only in 1999.Social Implication That consideration be given funding priority to areas like health, education, community development and Law and Order.

All four LLGs in the district were given equal share of the Kokopo District Electoral Fund. Economic Benefits The DSG fund encourages commercial benefits to the people of the district and to provide training for small businessmen and women, and also provide avenues for farmers and fishermen to earn small income to support their immediate needs.

Legal Implication The District Support Grant is legally made available annually to the districts as specified in Section 95A of the OLPGLLG. In the case of SRD Program, there is no provision in the law specifying the use of the fund however any expenditure be conform with the financial instruction and directly regulated by the Public Finance Management Act of. Political Implication The decisions to appropriate funds to any specific projects in the district is to be fully endorsed and recommended by the JDP&BPC.
Old 20-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Namaliu deals with major land issues

LAND is short", is a common lament. While the East New Britain provincial government is faced with the nightmare of trying to relocate Duke of York islanders to the mainland who are currently affected by rising sea levels, the Kokopo District administration has the recurring land disputes to solve.

According to Kokopo MP Sir Rabbie Namaliu, there is already a task force in place set up by the provincial government to resettle the islanders.

"We are trying our best to relocate them nearer to home at Kokopo, but we must bear in mind that the mainlanders are also experiencing land shortage ... and the only other option to resettle them somewhere else may have to be considered," said Sir Rabbie.

In the Kokopo District Development Plan (2000-2004), land, being part of social development profile is an important area that the district, through its priorities and objectives, is trying to address.

Land mobilisation

The main objective of land mobilisation of both customary and alienated land in the Kokopo district is to ensure that they attract development.
Issues involve; how much of the customary and alienated land is available today, how it is coping with the high population growth rate and what effect the cash economy is having on the land tenure system in general.

Customary Land

After colonisation and land alienation in the pre-independence era, only approximately 45 square kilometer of the district total land mass is customary land.

Within this area live 45,513 people altogether averaging at 1,332 people per square kilometer, making it the most densely populated district in the province.

Many land disputes today can be attributed to the population pressure on what little land that is available.
Where clan land was previously owned communally, that is now overtaken by an individualistic approach to use of clan land.

Land tenure system

Land tenure today can be defined as the way, in which people acquire, use and distribute rights in land.
This process has had a drastic change to its traditional set up over the years. Much of that change is due to the cash economy.
The people of Kokopo district generally show eagerness to participate in the new cash economy but due to land shortage they realise that the traditional system of land tenure is beginning to reach its limitation.

Land is now being perceived as not just a communal property but a commodity to be exchanged for money. Land disputes are increasing land disputes and land shortage are further aggravated by the fact that a large proportion of the land is alienated (over 50 per cent) of the best land; population increase (3.38 per cent) which is putting a lot of pressure on land; and people adopting the western concept of family unit rather than the traditional concept of sharing benefits.

This once long sandy beach at Urukuk village has been washed away. The tree stump which once provided beautiful shade on the beach is now standing in the sea.
Attached Images
File Type: gif land is short.gif (47.2 KB, 235 views)
Old 20-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Alienated Land

Kokopo district and indeed Kokopo town was both the administrative and commercial center in German occupation period. Over 50 per cent of the land mass is alienated and owned by foreign companies.

Under the Land Acquisition Scheme introduced in the 1970s some plantations like Tatavana, Malapau, Ulapapu, Bailu and Giregire were purchased and handed over to the people.

The exercise was a relief over population and its pressure on the already acute land shortage experienced in Kokopo.
Plantation land is currently being sub-divided and allocated to families to develop because managing them as a plantation was proving unworkable.

Urban land and rural centres

Apart from the plantations, about 3172-12 hectares is taken up by urban and semi-urban centers in the district. These are: Kokopo town (2118ha), Tokua airport (60ha), Ulaveu Industrial Centre (60ha), Takubar (20ha), Molot (1.83ha), Bitapaka (113.6ha) and Baliora (230.42ha).

Demand however is still very high hence there is need to expand the urban centers to accommodate the growing demand for land. Lack of action would be detrimental to the overall development in Kokopo.
The Kokopo MP and the Kokopo district office in consultation with the Lands Department has now started taking remedial steps. These include:
  • Coordination of customary and alienated land administration in Kokopo District. The program would involve assisting with customary land administration, through customary land data collection, land mediation at the LLG level and local land court and provide alienated land information to the public and where necessary mediate land disputes;
  • Establishing an effective land data base organisation and coordination of land dispute, mediation and local land court system in the district. This would involve effective implementation of customary land administration, customary land data collection and establishment of an effective local land court; and
  • Establishing and effective land administration in the district. This will involve the setting up of an alienated land database, assistance in carrying out land dispute mediation, transfer survey, design work and general administration.

Elcom erecting power poles at Ravat-Malapu road as part of the Kokopo district electrification program.
Attached Images
File Type: gif plantations.gif (52.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 22-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

If you have enjoyed your visit re 'Kokopo Seven Years On', why not check out the following page:

http://www.pngbd.com/forum/t2351s006...8b19e472f.html
Old 20-02-2009, 05:39 AM

Kokopo is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the update of Rabaul and Kokopo, it is the home town of lots of my relatives who were born there and are currently up there and I haven't been up home for 6 years now and this has given me an update on what it looks like. I have so many cousins to catch up with and my grandfather was once the President of the Ralum Clum and was brought up by Phoebe Parkinson.

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 PM

maxuechtritz is on a distinguished road
Phebe Parkinson

Hi. Interested in hearing about your grandfather raised by Phebe Parkinson. Phebe was my great grandmother and virtually raised my father.Be good to find out anything at all about your connection.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Kokopo is on a distinguished road
Smile Phebe Parkinson

Hi,
My grandfather was Joseph Adolf Schulz, and am told that Opa was brought up by Phebe Parkinson who lived next door to the Ralum Club which was Queen Emma's home and her sister, I too would also like to find out more about my Opa and his upbringing and relatives. I have a photo clip of my great, great, grandmother Malia Schulz, with her two sons, Hugo and Adolf Schulz in amongst friends and relations of Queen Emma and Parkinson's gathering in front of Queen Emma's shooting gallery (J.M.C. Clubhouse) at Gunantambu, about 1904. I don't know who my grandfather's father was, whether it be Hugo or Adolf, but am happy to have this clip showing some of our relatives back then. Thank you for your reply.

Kokopo
Old 13-07-2010, 12:20 AM

maxuechtritz is on a distinguished road
phebe parkinson

Thanks Kokopo. I have similiar if not same pictures. I was wondering about the spelling of your name. Old NG books I have refer to H.L. Shultze and I THINK Adolf Shultze. Is it posible you are from the same family but with different spellings handed down to writers? Maybe it's a different family altogether as of course there are a varietyn of such spellinmgs. This Adolf from memory was nicknamed "Bob" but I'll double check.