Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:04 PM

kangarubicon is on a distinguished road
What to expect after 15 years

Hi guys I have been considering a return trip to PNG after 15 years.

I have some questions what would one expect and it the country as dangerous as people now say.

I would appreciate some feedback as I have told that PNG is no longer the paradise of yesteryear.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 20-02-2007, 10:50 AM

MountainManK92 is on a distinguished road
Kangarubicon

I've been in PNG off and on for the past 20 years. I guess the answer to your question is yes but some remote areas are the same as they were 15 years ago.

If you're into fishing/diving then Walindi, Nusa (in Kavieng) or Tufi would be good spots to visit as they are very tourist friendly places. Goroka is good but I would avoid Kainantu, Kunidawa, Mt Hagen, and points further west. Lae is not too bad but there's not a whole lot to do.

Any place in particular you were wanting to visit?

MountainManK92
Old 25-03-2007, 01:16 AM

ayla is on a distinguished road
Cool

All I can say is that I (40 yo woman) and a 60yo female friend travelled in the highlands in Sept 06 and had no problems, though of course we didn't venture out at night. We went by PMV from Goroka to Kundiawa without a guide, then with a guide from Kundiawa to Mt. Wilhelm, back to Kundiawa and on the Mt. Hagen. We organised some of the guides before we left, but others we organised through Niugini holidays before leaving.

We then went on the 'enga experience' for three nights. Our host family picked us up from Haus Poroman in Mt. Hagen and took us to Sari Village outside of Wabag. This was a wonderful experience, and we were looked after beautifully. There was no pressure to buy artifacts... no 'begging' ... only genuine, lovely people.

I couldn't fault the 'Enga Experience' families for a place to stay, though I wouldn't go back until the next election is over. Additionally, I'd check to see if that tribe is involved in any current, unsettled tribal wars before returning.

I wasn't as comfortable in the villages around Kumul Lodge , as they seemed jaded to tourists, and saw us very much as a potential source of income.

Also, Haus Poroman out of Mt. Hagen is top class with Bernadine doing a fantastic job. It is extremely clean, the staff are fantastic and the food is restaurant quality.

Last edited by ayla; 25-03-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Geenah-Bella is on a distinguished road
Hi kangarubicon, I am PNGean & in my opinion PNG is still the paradise of yesteryear! Only us, the people, have changed in the last 15 years (& continue to do so!) I would suggest you travel with a PNGean companion/friend & enjoy some local hospitality if you wish to do non-touristy stuff. When I was in boarding school two of my Australian teachers travelled to PNG & stayed with students' families all over the country. They had a great time & saved alot of money too (I think!)
Old 05-04-2007, 05:04 PM

PS Inc. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie
this is one of the reasons I created this website in the first place, enjoy!
Aussie, can you please check your email or Private messages