Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Photos and Scenery of Papua New Guinea

Photos and Scenery of Papua New Guinea We welcome your photos of Papua New Guinea in here. This is an exclusively photo only area. Comments or questions should go into the Tourism Discussion area.

Old 10-02-2002, 01:33 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Golden nuggets

A Pacific Helicopter with gold as its cargo !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold---pacific-helicopter.jpg (53.8 KB, 565 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 01:34 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Golden Nuggets

Gold nugget !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold---wide-nugget.jpg (25.5 KB, 524 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 01:37 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Metals Refinery

Metals Refinery:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold---metals-refining.jpg (28.0 KB, 516 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 01:38 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Jewellery

Kara Jewellery:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jewellery-kara.jpg (90.8 KB, 534 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 01:42 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Kara Jewellers

Pearl necklace & earrings:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pendant & earrings.jpg (18.9 KB, 515 views)
Old 10-02-2002, 10:05 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Golden nuggets

Metals Refining:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-refinery.jpg (58.7 KB, 486 views)
Old 23-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Before the Gold Rush

Before the gold rush

A story of David Akori of Komoko village Pujero, Tari, Southern Highlands Province, who is the first local landowner to find gold at Mt. Kare before the gold rush:

Story by Henry Palena:

DAVID Akori was a pupil at Loka Community School when he travelled to Porgera to visit relatives for school holidays in 1986.

He took the bush tracks which is a traditional route used by the people of Huli and Porgera/Paiela to travel either way - enroute the Mt. Kare mountains and the following story is based on events that took place during this journey.

PERSONAL ENCOUNTER WITH "TAYUNDIKA"

It is a myth that Yundika is a living spirit in the form of a lake. It is believed that it talks and goes out hunting but is rarely seen. Before the colonial period, men from Pujero and Huli paid homage and killed pigs to feed the lake by way of traditional rituals.

David was at a point known as "Tawini Kamenda', whichis along a strip of grassland called "Piagonda" when this special encounter took place. Piagonda is traditionally known as the place, where Lae Yundika goes out for hunting and is also a resting place. the encounter described is as follows:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-nuggets-found-at-mt.-k.jpg (31.2 KB, 497 views)
Old 23-02-2002, 04:26 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Before the gold rush

"I was walking through the grassland at about 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I was only a boy about 15 years old and I was feeling tired and hungry.

the weather was fine and dry with a cool breeze blowing. I could feel something strange - a presence of someone around me. I looked ahead just as I was about to step onto the grassland where, Lae Yundika rests. Ahead of me, I saw a greenish, yellowish-coloured thing going around in a circular fasion at the edges of the small field. Whatever I saw like rainbow disappeared with a slight breeze.

i was frightenend and breathing fast and taking a couple of steps back, I fainted. I recovered five minutes later and hurriedly proceeded on with the journey through the small grass field.

I saw no further signs. There were no leaves, no birds or anything to witness the scene where Lake Yundika circled around showing its colours.

Then I found some intestines of a 'kapul' (cuscus) on the track with no signs or footprints of human activity. I thought that Lake Yunkida was the one who had killed the cuscus and that I had seen it when it came out of its resting-place to look for food.

I left Piagonda and walked further on to Kulanda where I spent the night in a small hut as I was tired and it was also getting dark.

I had a restless night thinking what would have happened to me if what I saw did something drastic to me... and I was alone and there was no human settlement nearby".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boy-panning-for-gold.jpg (29.5 KB, 485 views)
Old 23-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Before the gold rush

David awoke the next morning and continued on to Komoko, where he told parents of his experience. Amazed at David's story, they told David that he had an ecnounter with Lake Yandika. David's father, akori said no one had ever seen Lake Yundika for generations and that he was the only person who actually saw Lake yundika moving around.

It has been told over the generations that Heli Puluma men slaughter pigs and feed them to Lake Yundika at two special areas. David's father told him that he was the 14th generation, which in the dialect is Tene Tepa' which translates for 'Te' 'the eye'.

Sitting around the fire Akori told more stories to his son and warned David not to tell anyone about what he had seen.

David was told that Puluma and Heli clansmen had been visiting the site and feeding the Lake Yundika for generations and it was essential that there were two parties for the ritual, a male representative by the Helis and a female representative by the Pulumas.

When both parties are together at same time the rituals take place at the Mountain Kare itself. However, when they go at different times, the Puluma clan carrie dout their ceremony (feeding of roasted pig to the lake) at Hiwagoli and the Heli clan at Helianda.

during these activities no one ever saw Lake Yundika. The last known ceremony took place in 1961. just as the Europeans were coming into the Huli area.

The last unknown persons to be involved were Timbi of Angolobe and his young uncle Hogogo Minabe, representing Puluma and Malingi Tagoli and Tirepuli Pono's grandfathers, the Heli clan.

Akori told his son that the legend holdds that anyone who sees Lake Yundika would receive a special gift.

A view of the camp site:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-washing.jpg (32.0 KB, 487 views)
Old 23-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Before the Gold Rush

DAVID HAD A DREAM

On the second week during his stay at Komoko, David had a dream. In the dream 'Lake Yundika' told David that what he saw at Mt. Kare had happened for a special purpose. He was told to go to Mt. Kare, where the creeks Ktia and Hibita met, and that it was here that he would find gold.

The next morning, without telling anyone about the dream, he headed for Mt. Kare with a bag of kaukau.

By midday he arrived, set up camp and by afternoon he went straight to the location indicated in his dream and started digging for gold. He used the primitive gold panning technique, which he learnt while at Porgera as a child and by using an old rice plate, he collected 30 grams of gold in an hour.

David stayed on, panning for gold for two and a half days before heading back to Komoko, as he was running out of kaukau. He had collected 200 grams of gold, in small nuggets, which he packed in a plastic bag.

After a day at Komoko, David made a second trip, which he believes was a success as he collected more and more gold than the last time. He returned for more food supply. He went back for the third time, got more gold and went home after three days. He needed a proper gold dish as he was collection small amounts o fnuggest using the rice plate.

Upon his return to the village his parents were suspicious of his disappearance and asked where he had been. He told them that he had been to Tari, as he did not want his parents to find out what he was up to. By that time, he had made up a plan to steal a gold panning dish from a clansman, Malingi Kuluku. But whilst he was attempting to steal the dish, Malingi's dog named Laki bi thim on the leg. This set him back four days.

On the fift day, David secretly told Malingi's son Piwa to steal the dish from his father's house. David told him that they would go to a place and look for gold and that he was not to tell anyone.

The boys left the next morning with two bags of kaukau and trekked into Mt. Kare to camp at the small hut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camp-site.jpg (48.0 KB, 453 views)