Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Career and Jobs in Papua New Guinea > General Job Discussion

General Job Discussion Discuss any issues, tips or tricks to having jobs in Papua New Guinea

Old 04-02-2002, 03:20 AM

Location: I live in central British Columbia, Canada - but I work in the high arctic only 900 miles from the North Pole
sunshinemeadow is on a distinguished road
Question Tech Job Frequency?

Hi, this is my first visit to this forum and I'm struck by the number of analytical (environment / assay) and IT jobs recently posted by the PNG mining industry. Is this frequency typical of employee turnover in these areas or did I just hit it lucky?

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 04-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Just the Norm

Hello there,

There are lots of gold/oil/gas mines here in PNG and yes the turnover is quite high.

Not everyone enjoys being so isolated in mine camp where you fly in and fly out. No driving on weekends to visit the folks etc.

They usually PAY extremely WELL and you can save ALL you earn coz there is NOTHING to spend it on.

In mine sites to the best of my ability, everything is provided...housing; food is LAID ON, as much as you can eat; and they pretty much take care of everything else in your life.

The only drawback is that you are usually based offshore, ie Cairns in Austraia, you fly in for your tour break, work 7 days per week then back to OZ and earn heaps doing it.

With regards to other areas of PNG ie the average private sector, well the turnover of staff is usually quite high as well. Some staff arrive and leave immediately in the first month coz it just doesnt suit their lifestyle.

As for me, well I have been here since 1972 and for my current position, been in it around 6 years. I have lost count of the number of people who I have said goodbye to over the years....sorta comes with the place !

Most people come here on a two or three year contract/work permit visa, and more than half of them do not last the distance, ie see out their contracts.

This is usually an issue in itself.....why....coz its hard to find staff to come here to work; its also a very costly exercise, like huge bucks to the recruitment agencies....shipping of goods etc. and then they get to know their job....then hand in their resignation....fight with the companies for their entitlements coz they broke their contracts and the search goes on again for new staff.

A long winded reply, but thats PNG. You like it and stay forever, or you dont and move ON.

If you like a good social life with lots of beer, go diving, sailing or whatever....pick up a chic whenever you so desire coz they like men no matter the age....then you had better get out of the freezing cold and come to warm Papua New Guinea.