Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 23-05-2009, 10:10 AM

jaydee57 is on a distinguished road
It is very good to hear that dual citizenship is now officially mentioned in the PNG National Parliament and the Honourable Minister for Foreign Affairs said that it would require the Ministerial Committee to engage views from all parts of the country before a decision is made.

Dual citizenship will be very beneficial for everyone including the Govt and PNG. The rest of the world is moving ahead with dual citizenship because of mixed marriages, economic benefits, health benefits, investment opportunities, reciprocal trade and tax treaties, employment, education and vocational training, skills and knowledge sharing, security, religious, cultural, ethnic and human rights reasons etc.

This is a positive indication from the Honourable Minister for Foreign Affairs that dual citizenship for those 30,000 to 60,000 or more mixed marriage and mixed parentage Papua New Guineans scattered all over the world (including Australia, NZ, UK, USA) will definitely be dealt with so that they can be welcome rather than be alienated for ever.

We should all contact the Dept of Foreign Affairs PNG to get an email or postal address of the Ministerial Commitee and let us all respond with good thoughts and views so that a positive outcome is achieved.

After all, the real reason why we seek dual citizenship is because we love PNG and are part of PNG because of our bloodlines that flow from the Highlands and from the coast lands and from the many islands of PNG.
Old 24-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Solox is on a distinguished road
if people in the government etc wouldn't be so damn selfish and allow dual citizenship only proves that png is very jealous of australia....i still know 2day people who are 25 plus who still hold both png and australian citizenships... people say that if png doesn't know your australian aswell it's all good and Australia is not fussed about the dual thing.....i don't even know why png went independent in the first place, don't you think png would be better off taken care by rudd and the family..????Imagine we would have less crime, corruption, scandals, etc don't get me started....
Old 29-05-2009, 10:41 AM

toksy is on a distinguished road
No disrespect, but I don't think the Rudd government would know how to govern our country. They would probably end up sucking all the money out from our country and exploiting our nation's resources. Our culture would go out the door as we become merged and assimilated with Australia and as for crime - I think Australia has enough of its own probems to worry about. I agree there is a lot of corruption happening in our country but I don't think giving ourselves over to Australia is going to change that. We have lots of potential in PNG. I believe we have some of the brightest people in the world. Its a matter of working together to solve our problems.
Old 29-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Solox is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

no disrespect taken.......hell yeah we do have potential but hello who the hell is using it? sorry but i didn't mean that png should give themselves to australia tasol i'm just saying that people who live in australia have a way better form of life in the way that our government looks after us...i do have heaps of family in png and i know it is very difficult to live in the conditions at times and that people sweat their arses off to make a lousy wage to try support their family.....i think people are into crime back home because they need money or need something.....yeah we have heaps of resources in png but in the end money made from this resourses go straight into the pockets of crooket politians and the rest of poor png has to suffer still. i love png but the way the country is being runned in not in my favour one bit....dual citizen ship should be allowed other countries have it what makes png so special.....plus if you think australia will suck png dry of its resourses its too late because the asians, philipinos etc are already doing that.....look at rd tuna in madang.........no fish, bosses drive flash cars, workers get paid $100 etc a fortnite......we all have our own opinions and yes i respect yours i'm just so sad that our country is so corrupted........
Old 19-11-2009, 01:54 AM

possum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by toksy View Post
No disrespect, but I don't think the Rudd government would know how to govern our country. They would probably end up sucking all the money out from our country and exploiting our nation's resources. Our culture would go out the door as we become merged and assimilated with Australia and as for crime - I think Australia has enough of its own probems to worry about. I agree there is a lot of corruption happening in our country but I don't think giving ourselves over to Australia is going to change that. We have lots of potential in PNG. I believe we have some of the brightest people in the world. Its a matter of working together to solve our problems.
The question of dual citizenship allows for the free passage of citizens between both countries and they have the same rights and priveleges afforded to persons born in that particular country.

I believe that predominantly those applying for dual citizenship will be those of us who have a close affiliation with PNG who have something to give to the nation in terms of development both intellectually and economically.

On the world stage PNG soes not compare favourably in terms of development and livability and so there is a gradual flux of its more educated/wealthy members out of the country to greener pastures.

More significantly these individuals go on to become citizens of their adopted country and subsequently revoke their PNG citizenship because of the fact that dual citizenship is not allowed.

This is despite the deep affinity that PNGeans have for their country.

Dual citizenship would prevent this from happening.

For individuals seeking to migrate to PNG there should be appropriate scrutiny and examination so that the integrity of PNG is maintained and the individuals seeking citizenship contribute to the development of the nation.

The point of PNGs money being sucked out and the nations resources being pillaged is moot in that this is already happening and it is occuring at the hands of natural born PNGean leaders who have sold out to overseas influence and not from naturalised PNGeans.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM

lyndon84 is on a distinguished road
i was wonderin my daughter was born in png and lives there with her mother who is png. she is 2 years old has a png passport but recently i got her an australian passport because i am her father and i am australian. she coming with her mother to visit me soon. i am confused that if she has dual citizenship which passport does she use.is she allowed to have and produce two passports. how does it work?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 PM

possum is on a distinguished road
I believe your daughter can use both passports until she is of an age where she can decide which country she wishes to affiliate with.

My understanding is that this is 18 years of age.

This is probably the one circumstance where a person may hold a PNG passport as well as that of another country.

I am happy to be corrected on this point and welcome any clarification regarding the above statements.

Cheers.
Old 20-10-2010, 01:49 AM

davidwillson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keren View Post
Hey. I would also like to know more about 'dual citizenship' for people who live abroad, but are pngean (born or bred in png) and/or due to one or both parents. I was just searching on-line for more info but I could only find information on permanant residency. I have heard that the laws are now allowing dual citizenship for particular cases but I would like to know how to find out more information about it.... anyone??
See my earlier post. Papua New Guinea does not recognise dual citizenship. Other Countries do, including Australia.
Old 20-10-2010, 03:33 PM

DavidWillson,
I suggest you go to website: www.immigration.gov.pg
They had recently separated from Dept of Foreign Affairs and may be able to assist you.
Kind regards,
Old 20-10-2010, 03:44 PM

lyndon84,

I think info from possum is correct. I suggest you go to website: www.immigration.gov.pg

It might be of help to you.

Kind regards,