Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 24-02-2008, 04:59 AM

Erave Nongo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcameron
Can some one enlighten me on the question of dual citizenship concerning Papua New Guinean living abroad. Could they apply for PNG citizenship at the same time they might have obtained another citizenship from the country they now live for example, Australia or New Zealand.

Cheers, Lydia
Call the Dept of Foreign Affairs in Pom and they'll tell you. I dont think PNG at the mean time allow dual citizenship.
Ta.
Old 18-03-2008, 01:17 PM

kenitasaro is on a distinguished road
The impression i got recently from the PNG High Commission in London is that a foreigner can live in PNG if married to a National and stays as their 'dependant' even if their partner does not live in PNG alsoHowever as yet dual citizenship is frowned on by the PNG Government. A somewhat archaic attitude in light of most other Commonwealth countries that allow it.Why force your citizens to make a choice?It seems to show lack of faith in their attitude to their own country.Still its what exists at the moment archaic or not and we all have to live with it.
Kenitasaro
Old 19-03-2008, 11:56 AM

stevybr is on a distinguished road
I beleive now that Kenitsaro has the right information, depending on how influential the citizen's family who live in PGN are and their contacts or wontoks, whether or not it will be frowned upon also depends on how generous the non citizens pocket is.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

xavier is on a distinguished road
I think it;s fair idea to go to the authorities, GOD WILL HELP YOU, WANTOK

TA: KEREMA MANGI
Old 19-05-2009, 02:15 PM

jaydee57 is on a distinguished road
It is the right time now for PNG authorities to seriously look at allowing dual citizenship. The rest of the world is moving ahead with dual citizenship because of mixed marriages, economic benefits, health benefits, investment opportunities, reciprocal trade and tax treaties, employment, education and vocational training, skills and knowledge sharing, security intelligence sharing, religious, cultural, ethnic and human rights reasons etc.

I have heard from reliable sources that Lady Carol Kidu, Honourable MP for Moresby South, and including other highly respected individuals in business, government and politics are working together to allow for dual citizenship and they may be interested to hear views from people from PNG and other countries such as Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, America, Pacific islands and elsewhere who have families overseas or are from mixed marriages.

Also it would be of great help if we write to the Post Courier or The National to drum up valuable support and discuss about various positive issues relating to the benefits of dual citizenship. The media is the best avenue to get things rolling i.e. newspaper, radio, television and the internet.

Lets all do our bit and get the ball rolling!
Old 21-05-2009, 05:34 PM

dual citizenship

I doubt the PNG Government is ever going to take action on this matter.Especially if pressured.Public opinion is the last thing that seems to influence them.Even from their own citizens!
It would need to be financially beneficial.Of course the probabilty is that this policy loses them money since a UK,USA or Australian Passport is far more useful and valuable than a PNG one to the holder.So if having to make a choice these will be chosen and the PNG one dropped.PNG will lose a small amount of income here.But also since renewing a PNG Passport can take years it is better to get one from an efficent and reliable source.
I think its a shame as I would like my chidren to find their PNG roots interesting and something to be proud of.As it is they find the whole issue too annoying and complicated and opt for the easier choice.Drop their PNG citizenship!
Old 22-05-2009, 12:38 AM

wiz310 is on a distinguished road
It is a terrible shame that the PNG government will not move with the rest of the world and allow dual citizenship. I would like to hold a PNG passport, as I work in PNG and spend more of the year in PNG than Australia. As a PNG taxpayer, it would be nice to be able to make use of some of the possible financial opportunity and business opportunity that from time to time presents its self. As a citizen I would invest into the country. As an expat, I am quite wary of doing so for obvious reasons.
I do not think writing to the "Pos Gurier" will help at all........ especially as it is currently giving Sir. Micheal a hard time over his new toy jet.
Old 22-05-2009, 02:55 PM

toksy is on a distinguished road
I believe that allowing dual citizenship in png will benefit the country's economy and quality of life. I know of many mix-race and PNGeans holding other country passports who would love to be able to return and work in PNG. If only the government would speed up the process and do something about it. Although there are many benefits to holding a passport from overseas I would love to own a PNG passport so that I can actually live, work and invest into PNG, not for personal gain but for the good of all (and there are many more like me out here). We just need that open door.
Old 22-05-2009, 03:16 PM

saina is on a distinguished road
The question was raised in Parlianment yesterday 20/05/09 during Question time. Hon Governor of NCD raised it as a number of Papua New Guineas have married and are overseas and would like to have PNG Citizenship. He asked the Foreign Affairs Minister if he can explain what his department is doing on that issue.

The Honourable Minister mentioned that the issue is currently being deliberated in his department and would require a Ministerial Committee to engage views from the Four Region of the country before any decision can be made. He did however, acknowledge the point Honourable Governor made concerning the Spouse and Children seeking Citizenship.
what i saw and heard him say during that time was that, if they open up a dual Citizenship to a particular country (and He made special mention to Australia due to Colonial and long relationship between the two countries), other countries citizen would like to be included in the system as well.

i thought, if that was the case then atleast they start somewhere. Australia would be fine. they can start of with Australia and move on to the next country.

well some news for you folks. Its now officially mentioned in the NAtional Parliament. Cross your fingers for something good to come out.

cheers

saina
Old 22-05-2009, 05:27 PM

dual citizenship

I wonder how many years they will argue and discuss this issue ? Decades probably!
I know of quite a few people in the UK who are pondering this issue for themselves...NOW and do not have too much time.They ultimately will choose the earier option of chosing the country where they live.Also not all of them have the luxury of lots of money enabling them to jet in and out of PNG whenever they want. The National Government needs to be swifter in their actions.Not something they are reknowned for!! Also to consider how their decisions affect ordinary people in PNG and abroad who have interest in PNG .Again not something they are reknowned for !!