Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 14-03-2006, 10:49 PM

ltcameron is on a distinguished road
'dual citizenship'

Can some one enlighten me on the question of dual citizenship concerning Papua New Guinean living abroad. Could they apply for PNG citizenship at the same time they might have obtained another citizenship from the country they now live for example, Australia or New Zealand.

Cheers, Lydia
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 18-03-2006, 07:58 AM

arjay is on a distinguished road
While many countries recognise dual citizenship for their citizens, Papua New Guinea does not. I believe that there has been considerable lobbying to have PNG recognise dual citizenship, particularly when we consider the number of mixed marriages involving family members etc., who must apply for visas each time they wish to visit relatives and friends back here.

The only legal exception in PNG is children, of mixed parentage who may hold dual citizenship until their 18th birthday, at which time we require that they choose which Nationality they want to follow.

It is a bit behind the times at present but I am sure that we will catch up given the development of the Country on the global scene.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:56 PM

keren is on a distinguished road
Red face dual citizenship

Hey. I would also like to know more about 'dual citizenship' for people who live abroad, but are pngean (born or bred in png) and/or due to one or both parents. I was just searching on-line for more info but I could only find information on permanant residency. I have heard that the laws are now allowing dual citizenship for particular cases but I would like to know how to find out more information about it.... anyone??
Old 06-07-2006, 09:21 PM

See my earlier post. Papua New Guinea does not recognise dual citizenship. Other Countries do, including Australia.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 AM

Alfie is on a distinguished road
Smile Dual citizenship

Hi Lydia,
I know that PNG doesnt allow you to have dual citizenship but if you have kids you can have two passports for them until they are 18yrs and then they get to choose which country they want to be citizens for.

Okay, have a lovely day.

Alfie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcameron
Can some one enlighten me on the question of dual citizenship concerning Papua New Guinean living abroad. Could they apply for PNG citizenship at the same time they might have obtained another citizenship from the country they now live for example, Australia or New Zealand.

Cheers, Lydia
Old 09-07-2006, 04:04 PM

keren is on a distinguished road
Talking ok

Yeah, i read your response a little late arjay, so i did eventually get the picture thnks. For some reason i thought the laws were changing in relation to Dual Citizenship - I wish they would. I don't think its fair to force a person to chose which passport to hold if their parents are from two different nationalities. Oh well, Rabi really needs to take a step out and do something about this.
Old 20-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Speaking to people from the Dept., I would suggest that while it is an item to be addressed, it will be some time before there is any light.
Old 21-01-2008, 11:35 AM

stevybr is on a distinguished road
Cool Residency

What are the arrangements for an Australian citizen to apply for permanment residency due to his marriage and children of a PNG citizen who wishes to live back in PNG.
Old 22-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Marriage to PNG, children, etc., really don't have much influence on the criteria.
Length of residency, business interests or ability to invest, or as many of our northern imports have found, straight out bribery works pretty well, despite any of the above.
Old 23-02-2008, 12:12 PM

mczoe is on a distinguished road
Arrow Dual Citizenship

What are the arrangements for a citizen of a Melanesian Spearhead Group country to apply for permanment residency due to her marriage and children of a PNG citizen who wishes to live back in PNG? Who are the right people to talk to for this?