Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 21-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Jessie is on a distinguished road
Gordon's Market

Gordon's Market, is a place that most people fear to go and shop nowadays. I mean I don’t blame anyone to be afraid of this place; it was ok once, like years ago, but not so anymore. These days we have buai (betul-nut) sellers everywhere on the roads, markets, in front of shops and bus-stop. It’s just so over crowded with people and no longer safe!

It’s understandable that people are trying to find means and ways to earn a living and that’s ok. But for those unnecessary people standing around, blocking the way, sitting on the foot-paths, which drive other passing people to walk on the main road, it’s just not safe.

As I was passing through the market, I could see the dust, people and buses gathering in one corner, trying to find ways to drive out, it was so not nice at all.

What’s to be done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 053.jpg (137.5 KB, 716 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 25-12-2005, 05:57 PM

meriasples is on a distinguished road
This Gordons market area for buai sellers is a sight for sore eyes.Why can't the NCD authorities do something about this types of activities, get them to sell somewhere else out of the city centre. Clean up the place and make sure it stays cleaned up.
Some of us wonder what the authorities responsible for the city's cleanliness do, they dont seem to do anything at all.
Old 28-12-2005, 02:42 PM

sangumahorse is on a distinguished road
Get rid of Vigrants/Loafers

We need to get rid of the useless pests that roam the bus stops, market places, etc.
Most of them are from that certain region of the country that have all the rich mineral resourses, yet their people just flood aimlessly into the city. They sleep in public places, are filty and smelly, and go around defacing the city with buai spittle.

If you were to go to their province and do the same ..bai yu kisim.."number 7"
straight away.

With the new shipping service between Lae - POM now running, I would advise the small peaceful towns eg. Alotau to be very careful about letting this people in.

Their MPs must take some responsiblity in educating them to stay home and not roam into other places like wild PIGS.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:00 PM

mcdollar is on a distinguished road
I am a concerned citizen of Papua New Guinea myself and yes, i do second the concerns that are raised concerning the betelnut selling. If people are trying to make both ends meet by selling "Buais" especially, it is better to sell something that the people can enjoy instead of selling betelnuts that result in destroying public properties. There should be strict rules and regulation implemented to services like shipping and land transport regulation, becasue that is the only way people get access by bringing buai from from all over the province just to make a living.

Last edited by mcdollar; 07-01-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:18 PM

ILU is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with all your coments...i stopped going there many years ago...what you find is young able bodied men and women 19-35 age group doing nothing loafing around waiting for the next handout...These are the kind of people who are supposed to be tending to the coffee gardens at home, to support the governments green revolution thing...if you go back to the highlands provinses you will find only middle aged and school children....the rest are in moresby sucking on the already depleted NCD rescources(schools,health,hospitals ETC)..and they dont pay taxes...and they expect the government to provide and up keep facilities for their use....when will commonsence prevail..

Last edited by ILU; 10-01-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 27-08-2006, 01:55 AM

meriasples is on a distinguished road
Gordons Market...again

Well..and so it happened, yet again, another ethnic clash, and Gordons market was the site of the trouble...and now after lives have been lost, the authorities get off their high horses and do something at last...but one wonders if this new found peace will last in Gordons market and its surrounds...hmm...we'll see..if the authorities are truly serious.

Last edited by meriasples; 27-08-2006 at 01:59 AM. Reason: font
Old 27-09-2006, 03:34 PM

Cool_Guy1 is on a distinguished road
I read with interest all your comments, and it all sounds true, but, what do you think is the main cause of this problems in Port Moresby? It sounds good for us to say, that, sent the people back to their villages and erradicate the problem once and for all. But, where what will they get back in the village, where there is no government services etc..

This issue is not that simple, it is an issue that has been under the carpet for too long and when it is exposed fully, you will be surprised by the consequences of this.

The Government, and NCDC for that matter does not have any policy in place to curb issues relating to vagrancy. City planning is non existent, with approvals given on the basis of under the table deals. NCDC not taking control in the first place allowed people to take advantage of the situation and have ridden high on the ignorance. It is too late now for NCDC to put their feet down and make decisions for the betterment of rate payers in the city. Street roads have not been maintained for more than 10 years and are deteriorating. With all this things happenging NCDC seems to have no vision for the city, hence, squatters are mushrooming, declared park areas are taken over by so called churches.., reserved PNG business are taken over by chinese.. etc. So where is the planning?

On the National level, the government does not seem to care about bringing services to the rural areas, so the influx in the city to have access to Government services is a problem created by successive governments. Cant blame the poor squatter, cant we? If necessary government services such as, education, health services, road networks, communication networks etc are present in the rural areas, then, slowly the influx of vagrants into the city will stop. Without, visionary government policies to address the increasing influx of vagrants to the city, would result in problems like what is seen at Gordons. The Ethnic problem, was an issue that was like a time bomb that the city is sitting on, one of this days when it explodes in our face, nobody will know how to solve that. It is a problem, successive government policies have created, concentrating too much in the cities and not much development in the rural areas, has resulted in such mass movement of people to the city. With the influx, comes social problems associated with it, you cant be a rocket scientist to know that, can you?

The solution, is rural based development strategy. Bring services back to the rural areas. I fully endorse what Bart Philemon did. He tried to bring basic services to the rural areas, such services and postal, banking, school, health, etc. With basic services operating effectively in the rural areas, it would discourage people to drift to urban areas.

PNG is sitting on a time bomb, if nothing is done in the next 10 to 15 years, something will happen in PNG that would change the course of everything that we believe in. Knee jerk reactions should stop, we should be proactive in dealing with such issues.

Cool_Guy1
Old 27-09-2006, 04:15 PM

manuda'apie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Gordons Market

We come from 800 hundred plus different languages and traditions, and its very hard to control and educate those who join us from the wilderness.

Fooled by the city lights, they bring them with what and who they are to Port Moresby. This is a democratic country, people have the right and freedom to move around, but there should be a little control to reduce the number of migrants flowing into Port Moresby.

After all, we have genuine and decent migrants who contribute positively to the development and care of Port Moresby city.

Those who are fooled to the city to witness the city lights, and roam around aimlessly should be sent home to work on the land.

Manuda'apie

Last edited by manuda'apie; 27-09-2006 at 04:23 PM. Reason: miss smelling
Old 19-10-2007, 12:33 AM

kekeni 42 is on a distinguished road
yes gordons market,i don't think i wana go back there again. we almost got robbed. my husband is an australian & he loves the country,but to frighten off like that really puts him off.we were very lucky that day of our shopping that we were told to get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

And to see that some people still do care for the safty of others.
Lets just hope that our new elected goverment will do something about it.
And to keep everyone safe.
Old 25-10-2007, 01:09 AM

jaycee is on a distinguished road
Angry

i read with intrest on your comments about this place call gordons market. what is this place ? it is sad to hear that this once beautful place has becomethe most feared place to visit.what is heppening to this whole place . we cant go anywhere safe anymore.we are prisoners in our own city'.that is very tragic even we dont feel safe in our back yards anymore.we cant go to the markets because we fear of been mugged .we elect people in goverment who cant seem to do anything.all they do is talk and archive nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekeni 42
yes gordons market,i don't think i wana go back there again. we almost got robbed. my husband is an australian & he loves the country,but to frighten off like that really puts him off.we were very lucky that day of our shopping that we were told to get the hell out of there as soon as possible.

And to see that some people still do care for the safty of others.
Lets just hope that our new elected goverment will do something about it.
And to keep everyone safe.