Papua New Guinea Forum  
Kokoda Trekking on Facebook
_ Home    Business Directory    Tours & Travel    Employment    Tok SAVE    Forum    PNG Photo Gallery    FREE Classifieds    Contact Us

Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 15-11-2005, 05:50 PM

meripng is on a distinguished road
Should Death Penalty Be Imposed?

In the last couple of weeks, innocent people are dying because of petty crime related causes. Also with young women being raped in the comfort of their dormitories in the Highlands Ė when can these stop? I mean we read about this everyday on the news both Post Courier and National Ė itís really sad.

I think since PNG citizens can come together in unity and rally against the two controversy bills Ė we can do the same to impose dead penalty to those who donít respect other peopleís life. They donít deserve to live!

What do you think?

meripng...
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 16-11-2005, 07:45 AM

arjay is on a distinguished road
The death penalty will not stop the crimes that are happening (I do believe, by the way, that it is warranted in certain cases....terrorism bombings, serious drugs and murder, pack rape etc) but what we must get first is an effective and strong Police force and Judicial system which will enforce a respect for the laws. Then, if the crims want to keep it on, give them back what they deserve.
In reality, some of these guys are really just kids with not a lot to look forward to at this time.
Old 31-12-2005, 02:48 PM

hank daniel is on a distinguished road
i agree that the death penalty should be in in all countries and make them public then people might think twice about their way of life if they see the result of major crime
Old 31-12-2005, 04:55 PM

Islander is on a distinguished road
This is a contraversial issue in many countries, and is gaining momentum in countries where Law and Order has become less than effective ( due to corruption, lack of public funds, manpower etc). It has been proven that it is not a deterrant, and serves only to free up space and money ( the cost of housing, feeding an inmate in PNG is around 4-5 000 kina per year, depending on the province) as seen in the US where execution is still law in a couple of states.
Remember too, that the death sentence is imposed on an inmate ,but the ripple effect on that persons family and friends is on going.
Is it warranted in some cases? Probably. Is it effective? No.
Does it stop crime? No. Is there an alternative? No.
Keep in mind also, that stoning in a legal means of enforcing the death penalty in some nations, as is firing squad, along with the run-of-the-mill gas chamber, electric chair and lethal injection. Should these methods be allowed, or are they contravening the Genevea Convention and do they violate Human Rights?
Despite frustrations, I do believe that a total redraw of the fundamental system on Jurisprudence is the only way that PNG will begin to win back its streets.
My belief is that PNG is run with no guidence, no principals, no decent role models ( bar perhaps Lady Kidu?) and no direction.
No death penalty, Just a better legal system from the Police to the laws imposed.
Old 18-01-2006, 10:06 AM

doubleyou is on a distinguished road
Well said [b]Lslander
Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 PM

mitasol is on a distinguished road
Capital punishment is abhorrent. A largley Christian country such as PNG is hypocritical by having the death penalty on it's statute books. No man or woman has the right to cause the cessation of another life.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 PM

Jelly is on a distinguished road
Using the good old "Christian Country" argument (Mitasol above) just keeps holding PNG back and does nothing to progress the debate on the Death Penalty. Using that argument, if the death penalty is hypocritical so is just about everything else that happens in PNG!

First thing, as noted by Arjay is the development of an effective Police Force and Judicial System. Can you inagine the unnnecessary/incorrect death penalties under the current inept and inadequate system. As noted by the attempts at the ECP and the experience of RAMSI in the Solomons, the law and order situation together with judicial reforms must be taken care of before any other issues progress, including the death penalty.

The death penalty will not stop crime, look at the stupid Australians prepared to traffic drugs in Asia knowing the possibility of a death sentence if they get caught. It will potentially rid society forever of some of the evil beings that currently do as they please in PNG society.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:04 PM

John is on a distinguished road
re: death sentence

I think that the death sentence is the only option to deal with the level of violent crime in PNG, however there is one major problem: corruption.

The amount of bribery that occurs in PNG and the wantok system will mean that people who commit many of these crimes go unpunished. Until these issues are dealt with then the death penalty may be unworkable.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:10 PM

John is on a distinguished road
re: death sentence 2

I notice that Islander is concerned with the human rights of the people who commit thses repulsive acts. WHY???

These people who commit these acts obviously have no respect for the rights of others. Indeed, by respecting their rights all you are doing is showing what they will percieve as weakness and giving them a green card to carry on behaving as they wish.

I submit that one's human rights should only be respected in relation to the amount that you respect the human rights of others.

In addition i notice that the comment has been made that these are just youths with nothing to look forward to. In this case these are the perfect individuals to be involved in local development projects or initiatives. I suspect you will find however that the reason these youths feel they have nothing to look forward to is because those things they do have to look forward to involve hard work.

Last edited by John; 23-02-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 25-02-2006, 10:39 AM

Islander is on a distinguished road
Interesting take on the above postings made by John.
A couple of notes however:
...."I suspect you will find however that the reason these youths feel they have nothing to look forward to is because those things they do have to look forward to involve hard work."...
implies 2 things - 1. that only youths are involved in these issues and 2. that they have no desire to put in hard work.
Both these statements are broadsweeping generalisations which do not have any sound basis. If you were to do some research, you would note statistics that do not uphold either of these statements. If it is your personal opinion John, your cynacism infers that you have either had bad experiences within PNG or are unfamiliar with the grass roots culture of the PNG people as a whole - regardless of if you are a PNG national or not.
Let me direct you to the fact that Papua New Guineans, regardless of age, face both economic and social poverty bought about by the lack of a national govenernance addressing it's needs.
As a developing black nation with numerous barriers from language, sub cultural, geographic and education (to name but a few), PNG continues to struggle to find a foothold in the world marketplace. You can find statistics at the UN site as well as WHO, Red Cross : if you would like direct links I can post them.

As you your query :
"I notice that Islander is concerned with the human rights of the people who commit thses repulsive acts. WHY???"

Human rights are those inallienable rights of all human beings, set up through such conventions as the Geneve Convention, Amnesty etc. ( once again, web sites can be googled by yourself or I can post them FYI) to ensure that EVERY human being regardless of race, creed, etc. is ensured that they are treated as you would like to be treated. ( For those who want to direct the argument thus - it lends itself to one of the 10 commandments of the Christian faith, as well as to other denominations fundamental beliefs).

If you read my posting again, you will see that it calls for the system to be overhauled so that it reflects PNG's culture - not just an adherence to the Westminster systen of Jurisprudence which has pathetically failed. Also taking into account a governing body that gives youths/ transients/ unemployed something to step into ( perhaps conscription for a period of time into a national force ) so that they are not displaced.

Yes, the acts are repulsive, but we need to look further to find the very best way to deal with these crimnals, rather than a generalised punishment. This takes into account the countries resources, its constitution, moral code and financial resources.

As a deeply patriotic Papua New Guinean I personally find your disparaging comment offensive.