Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 27-06-2005, 02:15 PM

meripng is on a distinguished road
Legalising Brothels.... What do you think?

What is your say?

Is it immoral? Is it wrong? Is it right, is it wrong, is it right?

meripng
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 28-06-2005, 10:32 AM

GSM is on a distinguished road
My wantok, I witness prostitution on a daily basis in Lae. Thus, I witness sale of morality for money on a daily basis. So, I'll say two things: 1. legalising prostitution merely acknowledges the existence of prostitution; 2. morality (and religion) is no longer communal, it is personal. Sad but true.

GSM
Old 29-06-2005, 12:10 PM

mangitbay is on a distinguished road
Question Increase marriage break-up!

I am totally against the whole idea!

Manus MP's must vote against it!

I am of the opinion that legalising brothels will cause more issues than solving current challenges.

We have to consider both physical wants and spiritual needs. Indirectly we are saying yes to the spread of HIV. What is being practised in develeped countries will not happen here as history has shown.

Broken marriages will be evident, as it can be seen with the frequent use of chat lines in developed countries. The promise of satisfying own wants and false promises leads to broken and unhappy marriages/relationships. In PNG, this will surely translate to murder cases; in cases where a husband or spouse becomes neglected and takes the law into his/her own hands.

Is the country willing to have negative press all over the world due to these socio-economic issues and its relating impacts?
The beginning of wisdom is fear of the LORD, which is formed with the faithful in the womb. Sirach 1:12- Pro-Life

Last edited by mangitbay; 02-07-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: editing
Old 29-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Jaybee is on a distinguished road
(hey muppy...this would be a good one for the polls...)

I am against the idea of legalising prostitution...
Old 30-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Angela's Eyes is on a distinguished road
To be honest prostitution exists behind closed doors...discreetly.
The Govt should hit out against it rather than trying to legalise it.
It will wreck the society.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Exclamation My Opinion Tasol...

This is very true about PNG facing up to reality about what prostitution is doing and happening around us today especially in our towns such as Port Moresby, Lae, Mt Hagen, Rabaul and Madang. But regulating of prostitution is not going to solve this problem. There are many avenues to explore before resolving to legalisation of prostitution. Many of the developed countries that have regulated this industry are still trying to come up resolutions to stabilise this so call “adult entertainment centres”.

It’s true to protect people who are involved in the sex industry because they will fell inferior. To be able to do this the government has to work with human right activists and churches to come up with solutions to help this people off the street and back to their normal lives. Legalising prostitution is not the way to do this and its not going to help and protect the people involve in this trade. Remember that legalising prostitution will increase the number of drugs involve with this. Drugs and Prostitution are married and we have to think about this as well.

How can brothel be legalise to justify getting Youths of the streets. Youth’s issues are totally different issue from sex industry and this shouldn't go unchallenged? These are two different issues and should be address separately in dept details. Youths are lost people in societies and they need to have their voices heard! The Government has done nothing to help young Papua New Guineans to stand up and do things for themselves.

As stated by the article, regulating the sex industry will protect underage children not to be involve – It’s true but how about providing assistance to young people so they can be able to look after themselves than to go and sell their body for sex. If the government had sources that indicated that many illegal brothels are around in the country than do something about it!

This is my response to this article: http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20050623/thhome.htm

meripng..

Last edited by meripng; 02-07-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Question

I agree with the comments made by meripng. Legalizing brothels will also have an indirect impact on other challenges PNG is currently faced with. I presume that an in crease in the following with be felt:
  • Increasing in migration from smaller towns or rural area into towns or city where legalized brothels are located;
  • increase in social issues - breakdown of marriages; less money to support the children and pay for monthly bills;
  • increase in absentees from work;
  • increase in absentees from schools;
  • bringing in of outsiders into the country for sex trade;
  • child sex trade;
  • high crime rate - murders - sex related
Relating to moral issues, legalizing brothels opens the way for other types of life style to happen in PNG. This will include but not limited to -
  • Push for alternative life styles - (same sex marriages);
  • Legalized abortion;
  • Adult entertainment - strip shows, etc
  • Adult’s magazines /DVD's into the country, even though most are already available on internet.
  • And the list goes no.
Our politicians will surely benefit from such business ventures, but the ordinary country men/women will suffer in a long run.

Always remember that our own children shoulder in silence what we adults do. They carry the hidden burden with them forever and that is what I fear - a free ticket that will surely play an important role in shaping up our own kids behaviour and therefore their destiny.

We always say this on "Remembrance Day"! "Today we remember those that lost their lives to fight for our homeland. Without them, we have no future".

Our kids might say the same thing. "Today we condemn those that were foolish to have made such a decision. May they continue to be burn in hell."
The beginning of wisdom is fear of the LORD, which is formed with the faithful in the womb. Sirach 1:12- Pro-Life

Last edited by mangitbay; 04-07-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:46 PM

This article in today's National Newspaper is very interesting http://www.thenational.com.pg/0705/nation25.htm
Old 05-07-2005, 03:47 PM

We need more ladies like her to air their concerns. We man need to support that call as well.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:57 AM

possum is on a distinguished road
The flip side

It takes two to tango !!!

In the business climate supply and demand go hand in hand.

If there was no demand for these services then the supply would 'dry up'.

However this is only a 'band aid' solution and does not address the underlying issues that prompt women/men to seek out such a trade.

The behavioural nexus is a complex one and much more will need to be done to address the issues behind prostitution.

The moral issues have been highlighted here already and so I will comment on the other aspects of this issue.

If these individuals are the 'victims' here how do you stop further abuse.

An individual is an autonomous being and has the right to choose how they ought to live and make decisions in the light of their own situations.

As a society we can offer alternative avenues for income generation to these persons however ultimately it is up to them to choose what help they want and if they are willing to take that help.

In the cohort of persons that do decide to become sex workers they take a risk everytime they step up to work especially in an unregulated environment.

By legalizing the trade one could intervene by:

1. identifying those persons engaged in this activity
2. allowing them access to education
3. getting routine medical checks (so that any STDs are picked up)
4. providing protection for them in an environment where they feel secure
5. allowing them access to counselling, guidance and welfare support

Please note that I have deliberately not waded into the moral debate but would like to offer an opinion on the effects of this legislation directly on the people involved in the sex trade.

Last edited by possum; 08-07-2005 at 10:59 AM.