Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 22-02-2006, 01:36 PM

ILU is on a distinguished road
go to south africa, or iraq...enjoy your life...if you think this is not safe... try bali...your odds of getting blown up is 100 to 1...suit your self....i have been overseas and i know what its like.....i dont need an expat to tell me....for your info...we are not stupid as you think we are....tru pla mangi PNG
Old 22-02-2006, 04:02 PM

d45south is on a distinguished road
Hi PeterChin,
as you can see our last correspondent appears to be bitter or resentful of ex-pats in general......not just Chinese.

Remember that not all people think this way, and some that do..have the good sense to remain silent so that you wouldn't be able to prove that they are simply being ridiculous. (And therefore should seek professional help).

Good luck to you Peterchin.
Old 23-02-2006, 12:12 PM

ILU is on a distinguished road
Im sorry if i offended anyone..im only making a point of comparission.
and for the record,i have never been and will never be resentfull to any expat..

thank you.
Ilu.
Old 18-07-2006, 06:53 PM

t4hugor3ng is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Indonesian born Chinese

Hi...., I am an Indonesian born Chinese. I have a new job in Port Moresby, and I am still waiting for my work permit to be done. So probably I will fly over there in the next 2 weeks.

I am going to work in a Malaysian construction company. There will be a small Asian community, where people from Singapore, Malaysia, Phillipine, and Indonesia working together under one roof.

I heard from my friend who has been working in this company for 7 years, PNG is not as bad as what other western people said ! She is also an Indonesian born Chinese, and has a kid. She mentioned that, Jakarta can be more dangerous than PNG ! If you get robbed in PNG, that's because you show of too much. But in Jakarta - Indonesia, you can get robbed just because you are a Chinese descendant !!

Don't get me wrong...., I still love my country. But my friend just wanna show me, Jakarta also can be a dangerous place. We have already got used to hear any strikes (that ended up with many casualties), or being hated (with no reason at all !) just because we have 2 small eyes & white smooth skin.

To be honest, it's not easy to find any topics about "Chinese/Asian community in PNG" ! So I think it's a good idea if we can keep up this small group, and can give a valuable input to all the Chinese community who want to reside in PNG.

Please tell me more about what's life about in PNG as a Chinese...
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Author is on a distinguished road
Question Question

This is a question for Merchant or anyone else who can help me. I'm writing a book and one scene (only a couple of pgs) is set in a small Chinese grocery in a very small country town, probably in the Highlands area. I've lived in tropical countries but have not visited Papua New Guinea, and I'm researching as much as I can, but I could use some local knowledge to make the scene read true. Answers to these questions would really help:

1) Are there Chinese groceries in small towns in the Highlands area?

Answer: yes, commonly known as 'Trade Stores' where they sell EVERYTHING. What we would call a 'general store'.

2) Would 'Yee' be a suitable surname for the proprietor, or can anyone suggest another which is more suitable?

Answer: Most names these days have "Trading" or "Minimart" or 'Supastore". So a typical name you could use would be : Zang Charlie Trade Store.
Popular names here in PNG for PNGBC (PNG born Chinese) are:
Seeto; Chee; Chan; Cheung; Wong; Lee; Yang; Wong. I have never ever heard of a Yee. These days there are mainland chinese setting up business here who can't even speak english so it would be hard to know their names.

I commonly purchase t/shirts by the hundreds but could NEVER have a conversation, as we simply cannot communicate.

2) Can foreigners buy kina shell necklaces?

Answer: yes they can.

3) I read advice that women should dress conservatively - would an American researcher be out of place in shorts and a tank top, or are we looking at jeans and a T shirt? Or what?

Answer: very out of place if they were short shorts. Ones to the knees or lover knees are the norm or long pants. Men wear jeans but most women still wear skirts and long pants. Mostly T/Shirts with sleeves and not tight fitting.
Some office workers dress differently but the majority of them if they went home to their village would dress conservatively or face their brothers telling them off.

4) Do people from the country in PNG use banana leaves (or any other kind of leaf) to keep the rain off them?

Answer: Out in the bush I am sure they might still use something like banana leaves but definitely not in the cities or towns.

5) A country man is walking down the street on his way to market. His eyes meet those of the female American researcher and they nod a greeting to each other and continue with what they're doing. Is there anything culturally incorrect in this?

Answer: no, PNG people are very friendly and if you looked at them and said hello they would reply in the same manner. Its just that a female walking on her own should not do this as it might be seen as a come on. If you were to do the same in a supermarket, office, hotel etc no worries!

I'm looking at as many photos as I can, but so far haven't found many of small village streets... any suggestions? Or verbal descriptions, little details, etc, that might add authenticity?

Answer: PNG people as a rule of thumb, do not think in streets but in landmarks. However if you said 4 mile to any PNG person they would immediately know which area you were talking about. In Lae if you said Eriku, they would know and so on. The Government area here in Port Moresby is renowned as Waigani area. When I lived in Goroka where I lived was referred to as 'West Goroka'. Streets....who needs streets when you have landmarks!

Much thanks for any help received, Author
Old 15-08-2007, 02:00 PM

From 'Author'
Many many thanks to the person who answered my questions. This is an enormous help. I need a little more clarification on some details:

1) Am I correct in describing a small town in the Highlands - not a tribal village, but the type of small town or village where one would leave to go into the bush - as having brigthly painted wooden buildings with corrugated iron roofs, wooden porches, and perhaps some wood and mud buldings with thatched roofs?

2) Can foreigners wear kina shell necklaces without giving offense?

3) I've seen pics of ladies carrying loads on their heads wrapped in leaves - are these banana leaves?
Old 16-08-2007, 08:39 AM

saina is on a distinguished road
1) Am I correct in describing a small town in the Highlands - not a tribal village, but the type of small town or village where one would leave to go into the bush - as having brigthly painted wooden buildings with corrugated iron roofs, wooden porches, and perhaps some wood and mud buldings with thatched roofs?

Answer: A small town would normally be a goverment station or a local goverment district. It would normlly have a couple of brick buildings, a number of wodden buildings both with corrugated iron roof and ofcourse brightly coloured. There would be a number of thatched roof houses called "Highlands Round Haus" around.

2) Can foreigners wear kina shell necklaces without giving offense?

Answer: Ofcourse. Infact the locals would be very proud to see foreigners wearing one of these.

3) I've seen pics of ladies carrying loads on their heads wrapped in leaves - are these banana leaves? Yes it can be. It can also be a number of other leaves that each village or locals are accustomed to.
Old 16-08-2007, 01:21 PM

Thank you Saina. This type of 'hands on' - or rather, 'eyes on' info is invaluable. Pity I can't get there myself!
Author
Old 16-08-2007, 04:41 PM

saina is on a distinguished road
My pleasure, author.
I only hope i would one day read this book of yours.
Old 23-08-2007, 09:24 AM

Hi Saina,

One day I hope you will... if I ever get it published! If you want to send me a way of contacting you thru the website administrator I'll send you a copy when it's published, but I should think we're looking at a year from now at least.
Author