Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Tok SAVE

Tok SAVE We invite you to voice your questions or opinions on issues related to PNG. Serious discussions only!

Old 02-12-2004, 03:10 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Hand pulper which served three generations

by JAMES KILA

A COFFEE farmer from Kabiufa village near Goroka in Eastern Highlands certainly has an interesting story to relate to his grand children later as to how a coffee pulper has helped him and his family over the years.

The “Bental” brand hand pulper was purchased by his father in 1960 from the colonial primary industry supply store in Goroka. The selling price at that time was 70 dollars.

Interestingly, this very handy machine has greatly helped him and his children to gain valuable education and even sustain their lifestyle over the years.

“ I have eight children whose education through high school and university have been made possible through the use of this coffee pulper,” says Mr Arakuso.

Normally, after harvesting cherries during the coffee season farmers use the hand or motorized pulper to derive the parchment coffee after the stages of fermenting, washing and drying.

“The Bental brand pulper is durable and has been with my family for a long time. It was here when my father planted the coffee gardens which I think is over fifty years old,” added Mr Arakuso.

Notably, Arakuso had also constructed a large permanent house through the use of the coffee pulper,”

Hand or motorized pulper is very important in the harvesting and processing of good quality coffee during the flush in the Highlands. Without a pulper to produce good quality parchment coffee can be laborious and extremely difficult.

The principle of using a pulper is that the skin of the ripe coffee cherries is removed from the bean. The cherry falls with water which narrows down towards an exit hole. The ripe cherries come out opposite the exit hole and a plate with projection on it squeezes them so that the seeds fly out through the hole.

Arakuso always emphasized to other farmers who have a hand pulper that the machine has to be looked after and used properly during the pulping process. It needs to be cleaned and serviced, plenty of water needs to be used and a plastic dish of wooden box needs to be used to collect ferment coffee.

Ends//

Joseph Arakuso using his old “Bental” hand-pulper to process coffee cherries. PICTURE by JAMES KILA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joseph with pulper.JPG (80.7 KB, 300 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 13-04-2007, 04:56 PM

JAMES BAXLEY is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Thanks for your article. I live in Tonga and need a coffee pulper. Does anyone have an e address or www of a store in PNG that will sell me one?? Thanks to write me back. Semisi (James) in Tonga