Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Health Issues

Old 18-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Jaybee is on a distinguished road
Question Regarding Aids & Condoms

Are condoms a 100% safe?
How safe are they?

We know all materials have little pores in them...right?
and that everything has a physical dimension....including a single HIV virus...atom...molecule...cell. (don't know what the correct term is)

The question is....how big are the pores in a condom and how big is a single HIV virus?...Think about it...what if the condom pores are 50 times bigger than a single HIV virus cell....that would mean 50 HIV virus cells would be able to fit into that one pore...and multiply this number by the number of pores in the condom....(I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here)...

its a scary thought aye??

Sooo...how safe are condoms...really...??

(Could someone shed some light)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 19-08-2004, 01:15 AM

Mum is on a distinguished road
Not 100% Safe

I would never claim to be an expert on condoms JB; but will share my limited knowledge.

Condoms are NOT 100% safe; as protection against pregnancy or Aids or other sexually transmitted diseases.

What I do know: condoms are a lot safer than Nothing at all.

They have been known to split during sex (rendering them useless); or, if not properly put on they can "come loose" (which greatly reduces their effectiveness).

Condoms are not the magical solution; they do greatly reduce the risk.

Em tasol. Mathematics given JB; if that were true, they would be of no use at all.
Old 22-08-2004, 09:33 AM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
To be safe, wear double (just kidding hehe)
Old 15-04-2005, 08:19 AM

possum is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Condoms, HIV size and chance of getting infected.

I must agree with Mum.

A condom is a sheet of material (plastic / rubber) and hence the links between them are of an order of at least a thousand times smaller than the HIV virion and hence if used correctly will not permit the virus to come into contact with the user.

However defects in 'craftsmanshhip', material failure or improper use may allow infected secretions to come into contact with either partner.

Once this happens the virus must still have to gain access to the body.

Any breaks in the continuity of the skin (dermis) such as ulcers, sores or abraisions will allow the entry of the virus into the blood stream.

Once in the blood stream the bodies immune system will try to destroy the invading virus (via innate mechanisms); if successful no infection results however the virus has the ability to counterattack the immune system by binding to the bodies immune cells and 'hiding' in them thus giving rise to infection.

To put the risk in context the rate of transimssion in homosexuals practicing anal sex is of the order of 1 % after a single exposure with out the use of condoms.

This is the highest risk group (aside from drug users needle sharing).

There are couples in Australia where one partner has HIV and the other is does not have the virus. These couples have remained together for 10 years or so and with the use of condoms the virus has not been transmitted to the uninfected partner.

However one must realise that the infected partner was on antiHIV treatment and so his/her viral load would have been low as well.

In PNG the risk of transmission may be assumed to be at least 1% with each encounter.

Maybe the PNG Medical Journals or Institute of Medical Research may have more accurate figures for transmission in PNG.

Cheers.
Old 21-07-2005, 02:19 PM

BahuMan is on a distinguished road
Do not risk it. Stay safe with one partner. Trust me condoms are not save.....period.
Old 22-07-2005, 01:08 PM

"xtc" is on a distinguished road
I do not know what all the fuss about the "unsafeness" of condoms are. Lets face the facts:
* over 10,000 persons in PNG are currently infected with HIV
* The National AIDS Council and UNESCO and AusAID and EU and........ believe the real figures could be between 50,000 to 80,000 persons who are HIV positive.
* The strategies for prevention (algorithms) are: A for abstenance, B for Be Faithful,C for Condoms, D for Delay first sex experience, E for education. Now A is difficult once you have already had sex, B should be encouraged but if you have already contacted the virus previously or if you or your spouse (or sex partner) are living apart for more long periods you may step out of line and that is when you will definitely need a condom.
* Condom is the only know method of prevention. A large number of people infected with the HIV virus are not necessarily promiscuous or sex workers but the normal average church going persons who in their past did not use condoms when engaging in high risk behaviour. They would need help and guidance in preventative measures.
* With the current rate of increase in HIV positivity, over the next 10 years the number of persons infected with HIV could increase 10 fold. This means anyone of you, your children, your brothers and sisters, your relatives or co-workers could turn out positive if the main barrier against spread is not widely accept into our day to day culture.
* When used correctly condoms are definitely safe.
* In PNG there are areas where because there are no condoms people engaging in high risk behaviour are using plastic bags and ice block packets. That is a good sign that the condom message is across to people but government infrastructure to provide condoms has failed to address these issues of availability and distribution.
* The debate should not be about the safety of condoms but about how widely we can distribute condoms.

Finally using a condom is much much more safer than travelling in a car or walking by the roadside or in PNG.
Old 26-07-2007, 06:39 PM

jacob is on a distinguished road
Condoms are evaluated to be 98-99% safe. That's a high rate if you ask me. If the pores of a condom would be that big (50 times the size of a HIV virus), than the condom would be absolutely inefficient. So no, the dimension of the pores is absolutely irrelevant. Now about the distribution. Condoms can be found in every pharmacy, on line pharmacy and big retail stores. The only problem to buy a condom would be if you lived in a remote area. For that there is the online solution.
Old 31-12-2007, 12:37 PM

inasero is on a distinguished road
Jacob I'm not entirely sure that those who have difficulty in accessing condoms due to geographic isolation would be able to jump on to the computer and buy them over the internet

That aside, it's true that condoms are not infallible despite what many people might think. There are a couple of issues related to their use:

1) People are not always reliable, and may forget or not be bothered to use the condom in the heat of the moment
2) Sometimes condoms may tear, or slip
3) Some people do not know how to use it properly
4) They remain expensive/inaccessible for some parts of the population
5) Social stigma associated with their use (i.e. promiscuity)
6) Vary widely in quality- a study of 50,000 condoms around the world showed 48% to be of poor or very poor quality

And I'm sure there are many others which aren't on that list. These considerations aside (assuming perfect use each and every time), there still exists a small but very real risk. An Italian study of 400 women with infected partners found that after a year:

1.2% always using condoms were infected overall
7.3% not using condoms were infected overall

So therefore, the only way to be absolutely sure of safe sex if to Abstain. Of course this isn't always possible in reality, so if one must have sex ideally it should be with one partner who is mutually faithful and with a condom if possible.

This info I got from a book called "The truth about AIDS- and a practical Christian response" by Dr. Patrick Dixon, though he didn't provide the exact references for the studies in question. I think it would be well worth a read regardless of your religious affiliation as it deals with the issue in a really well thought out and logical way.