Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 29-05-2011, 02:58 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
The Almost People

Clip:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/05...st-people.html

Interviews with Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill about real-life experiences with doppelgangers, trailer/previews:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/05...st-people.html
Old 31-05-2011, 11:51 AM

The Cradle of the Snake Part 3:
Whereas the previous episode has the Mara causing havoc in the streets, this episode shows how cunning the Mara is, leading to the enthralling cliffhanger, a sight to behold if this story had been made for television.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM

The Cradle of the Snake Part 4:
Pretty good conclusion to The Cradle of the Snake.
Especially well done in presenting the Mara taking over the populace.
Very good in Sarah Sutton portraying Nyssa as something than her usual self in this episode.
The saying “It is always the quiet ones” definitely applies to Baalaka.
The Cradle of the Snake is the final in a trilogy of stories seeing Nyssa’s return to the TARDIS team but the conclusion to this story leaves Nyssa’s travels with the Doctor, Tegan and Turlough open-ended meaning there is still room for further adventures of this TARDIS team prior to Nyssa eventually leaving her friends again at some point before The King’s Demons.

At the end of the second disc are interviews:
Enjoyable including Mark Strickson amusingly saying that Peter Davison, Strickson and Sarah Sutton how much they enjoy playing sheep and director Barnaby Edwards revealing a theory that the two Mara TV stories were written by Kate Bush due to her music videos showing similar things to them.
The Mara TV stories were written by Christopher Bailey and this audio sequel by Marc Platt. The interviews does not reveal whether Christopher Bailey was ever approached to write the audio sequel as that is something that I would like to know.
Director Barnaby Edwards mentioning Strickson’s performance in Loups-Garoux but not the fact that it was written by The Cradle of the Snake writer Marc Platt. I thought mentioning Marc Platt’s name for Loups-Garoux was relevant since it was about the way that Strickson handled two stories written by the same author.
Also not mentioned is that Hugh Fraser (Dr Hanri Kerrem) had previously worked with Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton for the Big Finish Doctor Who range in the Spring section of Circular Time.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM

From The Doctor Who News Page:
As well being a writer for one of the episodes in the second half of season 36, Mark Gatiss will be appearing in his acting capacity for the season finale.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Wirrn Dawn:
Fourth story, seventh and eighth episodes of the third audio season of the Eighth Doctor New Adventures.
Released by Big Finish Productions in June 2009.
Written and directed by Nick Briggs.
As it says on the title, this story features the Wirrn originally introduced in the TV story Ark In Space.
The guest cast includes Sarah Jane Adventures regular Clyde Anthony and Colin Salmon (Dr Moon in Silence In The Library/Forest of the Dead). Upon looking at the pictures of Salmon and Anthony on the CD sleeve I thought they were playing father and son respectively but instead they played two troopers who do not like each other.
Wirrn Dawn is a different kind of story from Ark In Space and after a second listen to it I found Wirrn Dawn to be a thought provoking story on what it means to survives for both the Wirrn and the humans.
As mentioned in the interviews the Eighth Doctor acts as a neutral arbiter between the humans and the Wirrn and Paul McGann portrays the Doctor in this regard very well and very sincere.
At the near end of the story Delong (Daniel Anthony) declined an offer to go with the Doctor and Lucie. If he had said yes, Daniel Anthony would have had adventures with both the Eighth Doctor and Sarah Jane Smith simultaneously.

Among what was mentioned in the interviews –
- Sheridan Smith imagining the Wirrn to be scary without actually seeing a picture of them. Well you know what they say some things are best left to the imagination.

- It’s mentioned that Wirrn Dawn was like Starship Troopers with the Wirrn representing the big bugs from that film series. Having only seen the first Starship Troopers movie a long time ago, that analogy did not come to me whilst listening to Wirrn Dawn the first time round.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM

36 x 6 – The Almost People:
Conclusion to The Rebel Flesh.
The title of The Almost People made me think of The Tomorrow People. However whereas the Tomorrow People were the next stage in human evolution, the Almost People was a stage in human evolution.
Matt Smith got to half reference himself when one of the Doctors called himself Smith but the first name was John not Matt in this the latest use of the John Smith name.
Eew… seeing the discarded Flesh.
Amusing when the Doctor says literally of the eyes having it.
Shocking that Amy in the TARDIS is a Flesh leading to the cliffhanger.
It took me until seeing the corresponding Confidential Cutdown to understand that the Flesh Amy had been around since the beginning of this season.
The stunning cliffhanger has helped me to give The Almost People a higher mark than The Rebel Flesh.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Prequel to the mid season finale A Good Man Goes to War:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiB3SdlQ6sI

Very mysterious this prequel. Wonder who are the red hooded figures and the item they have just bought.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 PM

A Good Man Goes to War

Previews/Interviews:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06...o-war.html?m=1

Trailer:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/05...-man-goes.html
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 AM

Doctor Who News Page has reported on the passing on the following people (not mentioned on this forum before):
Donald Hewlett who died at the age of 88 had played Sir George Hardiman in The Claws of Axos (1971).

Roger Hancock who died at the age of 79 was Dalek creator Terry Nation’s agent. Roger was the brother of comedian Tony Hancock. Terry Nation had written for Tony Hancock’s shows until Tony fired him. This enabled Terry Nation to write for Doctor Who which he had previously refused to do. It therefore meant that Terry Nation created the Daleks at this time.
As for Roger himself he was involved in negotiations with the BBC over their use of the Daleks including giving the Terry Nation estate the power to allow which Dalek stories to be transmitted on television.

John Mason who died on March 26 2011 had a prolific career in the BBC’s Lighting department. His work included two Tom Baker Doctor Who serials Robot & Talons of Weng-Chiang which coincidentally was the swansong of producers Barry Letts and Philip Hinchliffe respectively.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM

From The Doctor Who News Page:
It has been confirmed that there will be a further 14 episodes of Doctor Who from the current season meaning the 2011 Christmas Special and season 37.

However the Guardian has reported a BBC spokesman indicating that not all of season 37 would air in 2012.
A writer for season 37 has already been confirmed. It's John Fay who has previously written for Torchwood for Children of Earth Days 2 and 4 and currently is a writer for the current and fourth season Miracle Day for the penultimate episode The Gathering.

It will be Fay's debut on the parent Doctor Who series.