Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates > Schools in Lae > Coronation (Lae Primary School)

Old 03-12-2004, 11:51 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

bi me lookim u long sunshine coast . What i really miss is pittpitt. It has been years since i Have had some as it is illigal in Australia. What a bummer. My son imports New Guinea coffee if anyone is interested His web site is www.mauntenkofi.com and they send to all over australia. So if anyone in oz in interested log on to the site.He has a cafe in Maleny called "The Food Gallery" and their coffee is New Guinea with a Ng theme.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:44 AM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Snowdrops, salty ginger, school buses, and other mind wanderings ...

The kids I went to school with at St Mary's ('59-'64) called the snowdrops "salsimoy". The ginger was "red ginger", and the fruit with the red "hairy" skin were "ramatangs". There was a tree we used to climb to get them in the yard of the petrol station (Mobil, I think) on the corner of Huon Road and Hibiscus Ave, about opposite the Huon movie theatre.

In Indonesia these latter fruit are common, and are called "rambutan". "Rambut" means "hair" in Indonesian, so these fruit are "hairy".

As I write this stuff I have all sorts of doubts about the names streets and landmarks. Hope I'm right, don't hesitate to set me straight if I've got it wrong ...

For a period St Mary's also had a school bus, which must have been a truck chassis with a passenger compartment built on behind the driver's seat. It also had one of those mechanical hand indicators that everbody was fascinated by!

I remember vividly one afternoon a local boy called Thomas getting run over by a passing car when he ran across Huon Road after alighting from the bus. Incredibly he was not badly hurt, and was back at school with a bandaged head a few days later. I suppose no vehicle travelled very fast in those days - the speed limit was 30 mph.

I do remember, though, someone in Lae had an E type Jag, around 1969 or so. I think it ended up in the bushes at the Markham Rd end of Bumbu Rd after the driver had used Bumbu Rd as a drag strip...

Is there anyone else out there that attended St Mary's? It was the Catholic mission school on Huon Rd, 10-12 kids to a class, and a teacher for every two classes. There weren't many white kids there. Dennis Crowley (long departed) and Rodney Williams were my classmates for 6 years, along with Andrew Hebei and Johnny Oberleuter. Other names I remember from the school include Delacruz, Box (Barbara and Nancy), Stehr (Ronald), English, Conboy (Peter), Wallis (Marie), Gallon (Bernard, Paddy), Ahnon, Pointing (Diane), Carroll. From photos I've seen posted elsewhere on this website, several of these people must have moved to the "Primary A" school on Coronation Drive, and later to Lae High School ...
Old 10-12-2004, 11:20 AM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Chris, whereabouts on Huon Road was the Catholic school? I thought the Catholic Mission was out along Markham Road.

Regards, Wendy
Old 10-12-2004, 07:39 PM

Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
St Mary's Catholic Mission School

Wendy,

My computer has died (I'm borrowing my kids' PC), so I've lost my map of Lae to quote the cross-street names on. Let me try to describe the location, and you'll surely find it. I recall that it was marked on the map.

Going away from the town centre on Huon Road, past the Botanical Gardens (on the left), past the cross-street that was the extension of Milford-Haven Road (that bordered the Botanical Gardens. A little further on on the left was the Bowls Club, and approximately opposite on the right was the Mission school. This one catered for foreigners as well as locals.

There was another mission school in the vicinity of Pelgens (did I read he's now SIR Harry?) store (somewhere in the vicinity of the wharf) that catered only for local kids. I'm having a mental block on the name right now.

In 1963-4 we had a team that played in the kids rugby league competition, which was a composite of players from both the abovementioned teams. I can confirm the comments of other contributors to these forums that while all players met the weight criteria for the team, several of our primary school players were already shaving. I was 10! Somewhere I have a team photo, in black and white. I remember the guy who developed the photo telling my mother in all seriousness he had trouble fixing the contrast to clearly show all faces - I was the only white face, and with very blond hair.

You're correct about the Catholic Mission out along Markham Road. I remember bicycling out there (because I knew all the Catholic missionaries at the time) around 1965-6. It was quite new at the time. They didn't have water reticulation to the buildings - one showered in the river, under a stream of water diverted a little higher upstream into bamboo pipes. Dont remember details of the rest of the ablutions facilities ...

Following on from my posting this morning, another of my classmates was Ernest Natera, and the name Fowler also comes to mind.

Later ...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:00 AM

Hi all,

cherylprc (Cheryl Davey), Jim Dudgeon & I are compiling a list of ex-students and collecting photos of Lae Primary "A" between its inception in 1951 and 1970, with a view to creating a booklet on the school's history and possibly holding a reunion at some future time (for which we will need contact details, which can be kept private if you wish - also to send you a copy of the booklet when it's done). Please let me know if you're interested, and if you have any material (photos, reminscences, etc.) you can contribute to our project.

Regards, Wendy
Old 11-12-2004, 02:27 AM

Thanks Chris - I hope you find someone out there who went to St Mary's. Why not ask Aussie to add a separate thread for the school? That way, any reference to it on this site will be easier for ex-students to find.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Coronation and other primary schools in Lae

Hi all,

An update on what’s happening with the Laekidz website (Coronation and other schools in Lae up to 1975). I have 70 active participants on my email list: with contributions from them I’ve added heaps more names to the student list (300 plus to date), and even more class photos and memories. I have also expanded the site to include photos from Bulae, St Mary’s if I can get hold of any, and Lae High, up to 1975 (after all, we all share the common experience of living for part or all of our childhood in Lae), and will compile student lists similar to Coronation’s if enough people respond. The new web address for the home page is
http://www.wendyclarke.com/Coronatio...ges/index.html

If you loved your time in PNG as most of us did that makes you once and for all a wantok. Should you want to contact me to have your details added, see if your name is already on the list or send me some photos and reminiscences, my email address is:
wendyemc@optusnet.com.au

Cheers, Wendy

Last edited by wendyemc; 19-06-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:02 PM

Linda Seeto is on a distinguished road
Lae Primary A School

Hello all ex Coronation Street pupils,

I am new to the list - made myself known to Wendy the other day and have had such a good time reading everyone else's comments. So I thought I would contribute my 2 cents worth as well. Thank you everyone!!

Just a bit of trivia (or maybe not) I was admitted to The Seventh Day Adventist Hospital in Wahroonga (Sydney)- can't remember the exact dates but would have been about 10 years ago and who should be the volunteer Library lady none other than Mrs Grey herself. She had a son Jonathon who was in my brother's class. We had a long chat and went down memory lane. She taught me in the 3rd grade I think. I am not sure if she is still there or not, but the reason I reconised her was she hasn't changed that much! (no, really I mean it). Her voice is still as soft as it was. So needless to say, she stopped by each day whilst I was confined to bed.

I looked into the PNGAA site and see that there is a screening "Walk Into Paradise" to mark the 30th anniversay of PNG attaining Independence. It is to be screened at Film Australia in August. This is where I work so am hoping I will be able to attain some tickets and also let others know. Money raised will be donated to the Childrens ward at Angau Hospital.

Cheers,

Linda Seeto
Old 07-02-2006, 02:34 PM

janet mcarthur is on a distinguished road
hi cherel, my name was janet mcarthur it seems strange to think so many people as yourself have lived my life up to 1960, those storys mr brakspear and his son bobby he would chase the girls to kiss them,so we would run to the girls toilet sceaming ' loved it" janet stuarts mum deliver the lunchs do you remember the tic toc biscutes, they had the hands of a clock on the icing. it was a treat to buy lunch. i started school 1956, i cant place you face but name ring a bell, buy for now janet.
Old 24-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Heather Newnham is on a distinguished road
People I remember from Coronation 1961-62

I've only just found this site. We lived on the corner of Hibiscus Ave opposite Nyall Reserve. My dad was the head master of Lae High School.

Jenny Choi and Judy Buckman were in my class. Gail Leadbeater, may have been but I could be getting mixed up with Boroko East Primary A.
Does anyone know where Lawrence and Rodney Cridge ended up? My brother, David was in the year below me.

I remember stealing a 2 shilling ring from a Chinese trade store near the school, when I was in Grade 1. My parents made me front the owner to confess. I was crying my eyes out. Needless to say that put a stop to any further stealing I may have contemplated.

Who remembers the really sticky bubblegum we could buy from the Chinese stores - not the long wide variety - but the variety more the size of a minty. It was way stickier than the first variety I mentioned.