Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates > Schools in Lae > Coronation (Lae Primary School)

Old 28-11-2004, 12:25 PM

Jim Dudgeon is on a distinguished road
My school lunch port 1955-60s erra

Hi there, here is my school port, looking back I thought it was heavy to carry, notice the slight bulgeing? I also used it as a place of rest
My name is still readable after all these years, I had better dust it off and oil the hinges and clasps.
Jim D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov28001.JPG (13.7 KB, 306 views)
Old 28-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Jims school port, there were various types avaliable
Old 28-11-2004, 03:50 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dudgeon
Jims school port, there were various types avaliable
Pretty flash looking port there, Jim. What else have you got stashed away from your time in Lae?

Cheers, Wendy
Old 29-11-2004, 03:59 PM

cherylprc is on a distinguished road
School ports & lunches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dudgeon
Hi there, here is my school port, looking back I thought it was heavy to carry, notice the slight bulgeing? I also used it as a place of rest
My name is still readable after all these years, I had better dust it off and oil the hinges and clasps.
Jim D
Hi Jim. I am impressed! I can only remember the SMELL of my port which resembled the smell of the airline cardboard lunchboxes they used to hand out at Port Moresby for the flight to Lae - remember: sandwiches (in waxed paper, no gladwrap then), fruitcake & piece of fruit in an ordinary brown cardboard box. At school we used to hang our ports in an open cloak room on the front verandah. No refrigeration in the early days hence the ripe smell of the ports over time, especially after storing bananas! By 57/58 a refrigerator was provided for lunchboxes. Maybe a few doses of food poisoning beforehand???? A favourite food was Vita Weets & vegemite or "wormy biscuits"! Fly cemetery biscuits! My poor mother nearly went spare over lunchboxes, I remember slices of devon wrapped around tomato quarters (yukk). I remember us all being glad when one of the parents started a lunch-making business, & when a fish & chip shop opened up adjacent to the school! Cheers, Cheryl Pearce (formerly Davey)

Kiama, NSW
Old 29-11-2004, 04:54 PM

Hi Jim & Cheryl,

I certainly DO remember the tuckshop. Sad to say, though, on the one day a week I was given money to buy my lunch, I mostly spent my shilling at Kam Hongs. Do you remember the lollipops you could buy there; two for a penny, in all different colours and flavours. I didn't scoff them all at once, of course; they lasted me all week, and naturally I shared some out with my friends. Sometimes I bought a few salted plums as well, though that's not what we called them - it was something much more exotic, but I can't remember what. My mum actually ran the tuckshop from 1964 to 1966. Her current employers (lae Theatre milkbar; i won't mention any names) got a bit niggly when she resigned, and used their influence to have the rules changes. Unlike previous tuckshop convenors, she had to pay for her own electricity, which made things a bit difficult for her. I'm pleased to say she made a success of it in spite of that act of vindictiveness.

Cheers, Wendy
Old 29-11-2004, 07:39 PM

Salty Plums

Hi Wendy,
I'm surprised you don't remember the name of the salty plums, we called them snowdrops, for those not in the know, they are dehydrated plums, that have been immersed in a very thick salt solution, and they are yum big time.

One could "suck" or "chew" on them, its making my mouth water thinking about this. There were two types I can remember, the brown and the red.

Then, we also had "ginger", what a delicatsy, by the time we had finished one of them, our tongues were bright red.

I came across a chinese shop in brisbane that has them, expensive, but worth every tasty morsal, yummity yum.
Jim D
ps I still got another item from LPAS u gotta wait a bit
Old 01-12-2004, 01:27 PM

cherylprc is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim & Wendy. I missed out on the plums, but was offered the salty ginger which I love & I actually have some in the cupboard now! Shall seek the plums & make up for lost years! Do you remember when you actually started trying the plums & ginger? Was it at school? I suspect we didn't know about these delicacies until they were introduced by incoming students who were familiar with them. I was introduced to the ginger in the playground. Cheryl

Kiama, NSW
Old 01-12-2004, 10:47 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Talking snowdrops and ginger

With everyone talking about the ginger and snowdrops got me hungry. We have a shop on the sunshine Coast that sells them so I keep myself stock well and truely with both . They are yummy, sooo at the moment i am sucking on a snowdrop and the ginger is beside me as well.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:55 AM

Snowdrops.........I got to get some

Larian, it aint fair, I'm stuck 250km from the place that sells them, and you are sitting there enjoying every tasty morsal, siiiiiiii.
In 18 days I will be down there in bne and I'm determined to get a packet.

I can remember the 5 corners, wernt they sour, then there was a tree next to my place in Lae that had a wonderful red fruit, it had a thick skin with short tendrils, but the fruit inside was clear and loverly. Then there was the granadilla, a white ball shape, that grew on a vine, it had a loverly tasty goopy substance like a big passionfruit, ohh boy tropical fruit.
The wild tomatoes, then there was a very small red or orange berry, the size of a marbel, the guarvas, hard to eat, but with a taste out of this world.
And nothing could beat the lady finger bananas, they were very sweet, paw paws, and the pineapples that were so jucy.
Got to go now
bi mi lookim u
Old 02-12-2004, 06:43 AM

Definitely at school in my case, Cheryl :-)