Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 24-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Found out that season 4 will make its world debut in the UK with both episodes of a story to be shown on a weekly basis on Mondays and Tuesdays from Monday October 11.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.com:
The BBC has announced a series of special shows that would accompany season 4 of The Sarah Jane Adventures.
Entitled Sarah Jane's Alien Files, it will have Sarah Jane and friends recounting their adventures each week.

Previously unmentioned guest stars in this season are Laila Rouass (Primeval), Lucie Jones, Doon Mackichan and David Bradley.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM

4 x 1 - The Nightmare Man Part 1:
Written by Joseph Lidster.
A very solid start to the fourth season.
[Highlight for spoilers]
The story starts off with a flashforward with Luke recording a video message about the end of the world and that it was his fault.
Then we flashback to when Luke tells Sarah that Rani’s father Mr Chandra said that Luke is able to graduate early from school and go to Oxford.
Luke of course does graduate early and in the lead-up to him going to Oxford he is having nightmares manifested by a being called The Nightmare Man (played by one-time Davros actor Julian Bleach).
The nightmares have been done eerily well and the story felt akin to The Nightmare of Elm Street. I also made the Nightmare of Elm Street allusion in my remarks about the similarly themed K9 episode Dream-Eaters.
A very good first cliffhanger for this season with The Nightmare Man coming into the real world and Luke trapped in the nightmare world.
Old 13-10-2010, 02:52 PM

4 x 2 - The Nightmare Man Part 2:
A well done conclusion to the story.
[Highlight for spoilers]
It is now Rani and Clyde’s turn to have nightmares with Clyde’s featuring a horrifying appearance of Sarah as a senile old lady.
In Rani’s nightmare she is a news co-anchor and she announced that she was quitting by saying breaking news. Wonder if any real-life journalist ever chose this method of resignation.
The Nightmare Man says to Sarah Jane that it was good to finally meet her. Lis Sladen and Julian Bleach have met before in Journey’s End when Sarah had a little reunion with Davros played by Julian Bleach.
While the Nightmare Man wasn’t a Sarah Jane-lite story as she does have a substantial appearance in it. She however has very little to do here. Instead this is Luke’s story in what appears to be his swansong story at least on a regular basis.
Luke was very impressive when he said that he, Clyde and Rani make for an unbeatable force. This ultimately defeats the Nightmare Man leading him to experience his own nightmare.
Wasn’t expecting Luke to leave but a further surprise was Sarah sending K9 to be with Luke at Oxford.
Prior to season 3, K9 was mostly absent from SJA due to the K9 series being in development. The decision to write K9 out now is obviously due to the K9 series having since becoming a reality with the 26 episodes of the first season already aired and a second season may or may not be forthcoming.
Having been presented as rivals before, it was quite touching when Mr Smith showed concern for K9 and expressing the feeling that he will miss him as K9 goes to Oxford with Luke.
The season 2 opener The Last Sontaran had ended with Maria and Alan leaving Bannerman Road. Now in this the season 4 opener it’s Luke and K9’s turn and I think this farewell was done much better than Maria and Alan’s.
With Luke and K9 gone, the team is now made up of Sarah, Clyde and Rani along with assistance from Mr Smith. Be interesting to see how this new dynamic will work in the adventures to come.
Old 18-10-2010, 10:33 AM

The first disc of the season 2 release which featured the season’s first two stories The Last Sontaran & Day of the Clown has included an extract from the audio adventure The Time Capsule.
It is accompanied with info about another two audio releases will be available in Autumn 2008 (in the UK). The season 2 release is a straight copy from the UK release and it was released in Australia in May 2010 meaning that info on the audio releases is two years out of date for Australian viewers.
Old 19-10-2010, 11:57 AM

4 x 3 - The Vault of Secrets Part 1:
Written by Phil Ford.
[Highlight for spoilers]
The animated Doctor Who story Dreamland had featured the mechanical Men In Black and they are featured here in their live action debut.
A very exciting with the Men In Black chasing the girl and it was quite a surprise she was inhabited by the Androvax. In hindsight I should have seen it coming.
Sarah with Mr Smith’s assistance disrupts the Mars probe as she did not want NASA to discover there was an old civilisation. Undoubtedly this was meant to be a reference to the Ice Warriors.
Luke manages to appear briefly here via a video phone on the Internet.
So funny Haresh and Gita being at the BURPES.
Also funny when Clyde said that Ocean and Minty sounded like toothpaste.
A shock when the Androvax when into Rani.
When Sarah decided to help the Androvax out it was only right for Clyde to volunteer for the Androvax to get into him as Sarah and Rani already had their turns.
Very very good cliffhanger of Mr Dread storming into Ocean’s house.
Old 21-10-2010, 10:36 AM

4 x 4 – The Vault of Secrets Part 2:
[Highlight for spoilers]
Very terrifying when the Androvax went into Gita. One thing that can be said about this is that it was a good opportunity for Mina Anwar (Gita) to deliver a very good dramatic performance.
Amusing when Mr Dread’s car broke down by Sarah. Then the motorist said that Mr Dread should get a new motor, Mr Dread decided to get his. Well the motorist did ask for it.
Sarah gets a little attack from Mr Dread’s severed hand. The attack of the severed hand had happened before in the Whoniverse before to Rose in Rose and Martha in Dead Man Walking.
Amusing when Clyde dons the shades and deliver the line that became well known from Terminator 2.
Like the music in the scene when the Androvax comes back into Sarah.
When Rani, Clyde and Gita meets up with Sarah/Androvax, I would have thought that Rani would have been the one to notice that Sarah did not correct Gita when she called her Sarah instead of Sarah Jane. Perhaps Sarah gave up in correcting Gita about her name.
Impressive on seeing the spaceships in the Vault.
Surprisingly in the end Mr Dread turned not to be a bad a guy as I originally thought.
Not surprised that Gita’s memory of her alien experiences got wiped. Given her enthusiasm, it would have been a nightmare if she had retained her memory of these experiences.
Funny when Clyde called Minty and Ocean, Mulder and Scully in the scene that almost ends this very very enjoyable adventure.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:30 AM

4 x 5 - Death of the Doctor Part 1:
Written by SJA creator and former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies.
Directed by Ashley Way. Having previously directed on Torchwood & Doctor Who, this marks his SJA debut joining a group of directors to have directed all three current Whoniverse BBC series.
[Highlight for spoilers]
Luke again appears via the computer since leaving home for Oxford.
Sarah is informed by Colonel Karim that the Doctor is dead. Colonel Karim is played by Laila Rouass a former cast member of Primeval which is more like Torchwood than SJA. Laila Rouass is a welcome addition to the Whoniverse.
The Brigadier and surprisingly Liz Shaw gets a mention here. However no mention of Benton and Yates.
Clips of the Third, Fourth (in Pyramids of Mars) and Tenth (including The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith) Doctors are shown here just before finally seeing Katy Manning back as Jo. I have known for a long while how Katy looks like today but her on-screen presence is amazing.
It was during the funerary procession when Sarah and Jo each recount their adventures with the Doctor and Clyde and Rani getting to know Jo’s grandson Santiago that the story has its cheesy moment which brought the quality of this episode to a barely passable mark. To be honest I did not like it that Jo is still married to Cliff. The reason why Jo and Cliff were a couple in The Green Death is because the actors playing them were a couple in real life. Katy and Cliff actor Stewart Bevan have long since parted ways. So by the same token Jo should no longer be married to Cliff. I could say that Russell T Davies wanted to have happy endings in his scripts but this is the same person who came up with Torchwood.
Another fanboy moment was when Jo mentioned Metebelis 3. Jo and Sarah’s stories with the Doctor during the original BBC run mentioned here are the two Peladon stories, Masque of Mandragora, Carnival of Monsters, Frontier In Space, Claws of Axos, Revenge of the Cybermen, Terror of the Zygons and since the Daleks were mentioned by Jo, Day of the Daleks & Planet of the Daleks.
Not really a surprise that there was something dodgy about the Shansheeth.
However a complete surprise hearing the Eleventh Doctor’s voice in Clyde before the two of them switched places.
The cliffhanger was very predictable.

Last edited by Matt See; 26-10-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 28-10-2010, 11:42 AM

4 x 6 - Death of the Doctor Part 2:
The concluding episode is better than the starting episode.
[Highlight for spoilers]
The Eleventh Doctor had previously appeared in a Russell T Davies story in The End of Time in the post-regeneration scene at the end but that little scene was written uncredited by current Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat.
Death of the Doctor is the first time that Russell T Davies has written for the Eleventh Doctor but in SJA rather than in the Doctor Who series itself. In fact Death of the Doctor is Davies’ first solo script for SJA, the series that he created.
It certainly felt like old times when the Doctor took Sarah and Jo to the alien planet.
Amy and Rory are explained to be elsewhere on their honeymoon. Upon hearing about Amy and Rory as the married couple who are the current TARDIS travellers, Jo said in contrast that she left the Doctor to get married. Times have certainly changed and one can only imagined what kind of companion Cliff Jones would have made.
Col. Karim makes allusion to The Brady Bunch when describing the kids. The Brady Bunch is not a good way to promote SJA.
Prior to its broadcast Death of the Doctor was shown first at a special screening and at this screening the Doctor said to Clyde that he is immortal. However in the broadcast version the Doctor says that he can regenerate 507 times. The tone in the Doctor’s voice would suggest that he was joking. Russell T Davies said so as such in an interview with SFX.
As with the previous episode we see clips of the Third, Fourth and Tenth Doctors but also this time around are the First and Second Doctors thanks to Jo meeting the both of them in The Three Doctors.
Counting the solo use of clips of the Tenth Doctor in season 2’s Secrets of the Stars, Death of the Doctor makes season 4, the third season in a row to feature an appearance by the Doctor.
The solution in defeating the villains proved to be very satisfactorily and very exciting.
Clyde’s joke about Santiago and Chile (chilly) is funny and I should have seen it coming.
Wonder why the Doctor did not tell Jo that he is the last of the Time Lords when she mentioned them.
Somewhat unexpectedly Sarah said that she did research of some of the Doctor’s other companions and they were Ian, Barbara, Ben, Pollu, Harry (Sarah’s former TARDIS travel mate from Robot – Terror of the Zygons), Tegan (whom Sarah has no memory of meeting in The Five Doctors) and Dorothy. Dorothy is undoubtedly Ace as Dorothy is her real name and also this Dorothy set up a company called A Charitable Earth (ACE).
Putting aside Dorothy, Sarah was able to research the other companions because they are all TARDIS travellers from the 1963 to 1989 run of Doctor Who who stayed in 20th century Earth after their travels with the Doctor had ended. However this does not present a complete list of TARDIS travellers who began their post Doctor lives in 20th century Earth. Not mentioned were Dodo and Victoria. Dodo was killed off in the novel Who Killed Kennedy and Sarah had met Victoria in the direct to video drama Downtime. I can only speculate that Davies has accepted the canonicity of Who Killed Kennedy & Downtime for him not to have a reference to Dodo and Victoria in Death of the Doctor.
While I did find the starting episode to be cheesy on the way Sarah had her meeting with fellow former companion Jo whom she had never met before, the concluding episode proves that there is something special about being a companion of the Doctor and that is something that would always be cherished.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM

4 x 7 - The Empty Planet Part 1:
Written by Gareth Roberts.
[Highlight for spoilers]
It’s this time of the season where the usual Sarah-lite story is slotted in with Lis Sladen only appearing in the first few minutes of this episode.
Having popped up briefly in the first episode of the two previous stories Luke in contrast is completely absent here. Finally a proper chance for viewers to miss him since leaving for Oxford.
Rani, Clyde and another boy Gavin found themselves the only ones on the planet Earth as everyone else is missing.
A influence of Gareth Roberts writing this story is probably the most recent but defunct version of Survivors about most of the planet Earth being wiped out by a virus leaving only those who survived to fend for themselves with their new situation. Thankfully there is no virus here in The Empty Planet just hopefully at best everyone vanishing and placed somewhere else.
Incidentally the lead actor of the aforementioned version of Survivors, Julie Graham is a guest star in this season SJA but it seems isn’t in this story (although she can be seen briefly in the montage that begins each other of this season).
Another possible influence of Survivors is when Rani prayed that she was not the only one on the planet which is what Abby had prayed in the first episode of the original series of Survivors.
The Empty Planet also brings to mind the Seventh Doctor’s fully fledged final TV story Survival which depicted the disappearance of residents of Ace’s old hometown Perivale.
The mysteriousness of the disappearance of most of Earth’s population is well presented especially from the performances from Anjli Mohindra (Rani) and Daniel Anthony (Clyde). Clyde sure posed an interesting question whether he and Rani would have been mates if they had not met Sarah Jane.
The episode ends with the appearance of the red and white robots. Would have been more impressed with the cliffhanger if I had not known about their presence in this story beforehand.