Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 22-01-2003, 11:46 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
CARVER FROM TAMI ISLAND NEAR FINSCHAFFEN PLYING HIS TRADE :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laecarver.jpg (31.3 KB, 318 views)
Old 22-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

SERVICE CLUBS & SHOPPINJG :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laeservice-clubs.jpg (46.7 KB, 314 views)
Old 22-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

ENTERTAINMENT & HINTS FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laeentertainment.jpg (48.7 KB, 320 views)
Old 22-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

CHURCHES; EMERGENCY NUMBERS; HEALTH & CLOTHING :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laechurches.jpg (44.3 KB, 289 views)
Old 22-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

CUSTOMS & IMMIGRATION :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laecustoms-&-immigration.jpg (57.0 KB, 287 views)
Old 23-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

MAP OF LAE :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laemap.jpg (53.6 KB, 304 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 04:27 PM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
A walk down memory lane

Hi Scott,

I've been checking this site out for a couple of days now, and am most impressed with the photos and other Lae memorabilia submitted by you and Aussie.

I'd just finished reading Colin Simpson's Adam in Plumes, picked up at the Lifeline booksale in Brisbane on the Queen's Birthday weekend, and it made me nostalgic enough to browse the Web, where I stumbled across this site.

My parents moved (with me and my sister, Leonie) to New Guinea in 1951, first to Rabaul, where my sister Diane was born, then a brief stint in Wau and on to Lae, where we lived from 1954 to 1967.

My father was **** Phillips, who worked for Post and Telegraphs, and my mother, Sheila, ran the Lae Primary tuckshop for a number of years, then worked at the Lae Theatre milkbar after that.

Our first house was a tar paper one near the old airstrip, and BP's was then in an old wooden building further along Markham road towards the Hotel Cecil. The library was in an old wartime building on a track at the back of the oval that came out near the water tower.

Then we moved into a brand new house at the end of Second Street, the last house on the right before the footbridge to the MAL club and airline quarters. The rest of my family came south in 1966, but I stayed on at my job in the Commonwealth Bank, coming south to Sydney in April '67 with my future husband, who was also with the Commonwealth Bank in Mt Hagen.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Lae to post. Mum and dad lost most of theirs in a fire. My husband has a lot of slides, though, of Lae, Madang, Goroka, Mt Hagen and Porgera back in '66, when he used to fly out there and buy gold for the Bank.

He asked me to sit on a suitcase for him at Hagen airport once while he went to the loo, and when I asked him what was in it, he said, "oh, only a bunch of gold nuggets." The story was that gold was so plentiful on the ground in Porgera then that no-one bothered with anything they couldn't pick up in their toes.

Like many of you, I went to Lae Primary, right through from '64 to 1960. I remember the movies Jim Dudgeon (Apologies if I've spelt your surname wrong, Jim) mentioned, especially Pedro the Fisherman, and how he carried Nina off from the Catholic Church on the back of his motor bike.

I think it was in '65 when I was in Grade 1, as I had a solo part where I had to pretend to chase a butterfly down a path. Malcolm Zimmerman, also living near Brisbane now, tells me the camera man was a teacher by the name of Otto Brabant, and that Jo Keating was princial at the time. He was Richard in Richard the Lionheart, the other movie, and he remembers dubbing the soundtrack at the Starr theatre.

Once again, I loved the photos, especially the one of the Catholic church, where I made my first communion. Re the date of the booklet about Lae: it says the Tanyo Maru sank after an earthquake, so it must have been printed after 1967, as the Tanyo Maru was still there when I left.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:49 PM

Jim Dudgeon is on a distinguished road
hello Wendy

Don't worry Wendy, the spelling is correct to the Dudgeon name
Jim
Old 16-07-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aussie
MAP OF LAE :
This whole thread triggered many great memories of Lae for me, Scott and Aussie. Just one thing - is it possible to post a clearer map of Lae on the site? I've printed this one out but can't read many of the street names and numbers, and while memory has filled in most of the gaps it would be great to have a more detailed map to fill in what thirty-six year-old memories can't quite summon.

Regards,
Wendy
Old 17-07-2003, 10:01 AM

Many thanks to Scott Martin for sending me his original scan of the Lae map.

Regards,