Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 AM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Hi Nurney_2000

I had left prior to 1975 and I can only rememeber Woody running the Rouna Hotel.
I really am not sure about Johnny Rosser only Tommy Rosser (who was a rubber man) was still going to KCC.
My family was very involved in KCC, I left to go south to school in 1972. My parents would have left about the time you were there. Dad (Des Hayward) was president of KCC for a few years.
We used to stay there on weekends in one of the donga's down the back.
I'm sorry I can't help you with any information on Johnny.

Cheers,
Glenda
Old 11-10-2007, 12:43 AM

MY brother has been sending through various images, things I have long forgotten, such as stock car racing behind Jacksons. He and his friend built a wonderful little red car.
He thought that they stopped the cars after someone was killed, but I did hear mention that the stock cars kept going for quite a while.

Last edited by Glenda; 18-10-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 18-11-2007, 10:39 PM

paul ekman is on a distinguished road
well- 1 week back after 3 weeks in png. first time back since 1974. moresby - lots of big shiny buildings and also lots of poverty and expanded settlements & plastic rubbish. ela beach was filthy. the papuan hotel and theatre are a vacant block probably waiting for a bank/insurance or mining company building to go up. lots more people around than i remembered but all mostly friendly. stayed out at goldie river for 4 days then did the kokoda track with the family and a few friends and then another week exploring oro province before coming back to boroko for a few days. it has seen better days but still felt like my old home and i was excited to see it all again as well as being sad to leave. will probably go back again although havent enjoyed the tropical ear, tropical ulcer on my leg and never want to eat red bannana/taro/kau-kau for 3 meals every day ever again.
Old 22-11-2007, 12:40 AM

Hi Paul,
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip back to Moresby. And it is wonderful to hear you talk of things like the Papuan now sadly gone. The Manager was a friend of my Fathers, Geoff someone and I remember going to see new movies, one I remember well was Ned Kelly with Mick Jager in the lead role.
I read so much about the dangers of Port Moresby now so it is refreshing to hear you say you would go back again.
I actually feel that I would love to go and see it again, but am very apprehensive about making the trip.
What would you say gave you the biggest surprise to see.
Old 22-11-2007, 02:04 PM

hello glenda

if you decide to go back be prepared to accept the change and not to dwell on the past as things certainly look different from an adults perspective. my old house/yard/distance & time seemed smaller than back in the 60s &70s. the town is now approached from a highway that joins past hanabada to near the yacht club. the hubert murray stadium was new when we left but now looks a little worn. the town is disorienting due to the high rise buildings and i found it a little difficult to navigate and get my bearings. there are a lot less expats around and you tend to stand out and draw attention wherever you go but then again maybe as a kid i just wasnt aware of it. beetlenut chewing and spitting is rampant and i dont ever remember the roads and paths being stained red and littered with nut husks. i should sit down and write an extended review one day before i forget everything. as to risks i would rather be in boroko than on a train at night in sydney. people are generally friendly and curious and we didnt have any major problems but then again maybe i'm scary looking to them. my two daughters and son went around boroko without difficulty (17/18 &20yo). i did have to surrender my fishing knife when i went in the bank and when i went to collect it on leaving was interested to see the wide range of weapons my fellow customers had also handed over. i also think the guards and razor wire may be there to appease the fears of the tourists but then i remember some houses were like that back when i was a kid. ive said it before but it was still like going home despite all the changes.
Old 22-11-2007, 10:25 PM

meg is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for you info Paul. Like Glenda, I've also been a little cautious about returning, but I've always wanted to simply because it's home. I'm seriously planning a holiday for next year now. I know my mum would love to go back as she really enjoyed our years up in Moresby and my partner has heard so much that I think he just just wants to get it over with!! I was always afraid that I would be really disappointed as with everything else, things change, but as you say - be prepared for that. I think I can do that, coz it's still home to me anyway. Never really felt that Australia was home.

Regards, Megan
Old 23-12-2007, 10:10 AM

cbatchelor is on a distinguished road
hi spook,
we had a stock car, it was purple and called the streaker, i loved that smell...we were there all the time in 1973 to 1975...
Old 27-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Geoff_S is on a distinguished road
I was there too

Hello all. My name is Geoff Snowdon. My family arrived in December '71 and left on 28 November '74 just before Independence. I started Year 2 at PoM high in '72 aged 14. Yes, I turn 50 in February. My sister, Jennifer (Jenny) turned 11 in '72; she would have started at PoM high in '74. My little sister, Peta Louise was just one year old then.

We were Army brats and lived in Murray Barracks at No 14 Sattleberg Circle. Our back door led down to a small park that contained the family pool.
Here are some memories I jotted down. It was hard at first but slowly, like a game of Ouija, 'spirits' of the past came one at a time.

Arriving
Being sprayed by the cabin staff with cans of Mortein on arrival.
Hitting a wall of humidity as we dismembarked the aircraft.
Ernie, the biggest, tallest Buka you have ever seen smiling when he met us at Jackson airport.
Sleeping for the first six months, naked, on top of the sheets with the ceiling fan on high.

People at PoM High
Bonnie Meertens who looked me up in Brisbane over ten years ago. She was married (to a Peter?) with two children, living in Perth.
Paul Sainsbury who lived next door at one stage (12 Sattleburg Circle?), his girlfriend Julie.
Peter Stephens and his sister who was a year below.
Peter Stokes and his sister (Wendy?).
Gwendolyn Veth who sat next to me one year in science. I think the science teacher was Mrs Griffiths but
I don't remember the snake. She had dark hair that she wore up (maybe in a beehive) and always dressed very smartly (like all her wages
went on clothes).
My English teacher in Year 4 was Mrs Wright, I think.
Was one of the Maths teacher a Mrs Small?
Deanne Frost, who arrived in '73, I think. She was a friend of Peter Stephens's sister.
Margaret Barclay, was it? She may have been in the year ahead.
There was a Sue who was in my English class. I think she was the school captain.
There was a Glenda too but I am pretty sure she was in the same year as me. She was quite tall and we played squash after school one term. I can 'see' that she had a girlfriend but I can't remember who she was. It may have been a red-haired girl.
Two sisters named Foot; one was Karen.
There are a whole heap more faces, some of them very good friends but I am ashamed to say that their names just won't come. I'll keep trying.

Murray Barracks
The trailer-mounted fogger (TIFA was the acronym my Dad used) that chuffed its way around the streets spreading clouds of DDT
One house boy named Harvey.
BBQs - till I was sick of them.
Watching movies at the mess on Sunday nights.
Reading books, books, books (having no TV back then was a blessing). I can remember hurriedly turning off my light at midnight or beyond when my parents arrived home.
Swimming training at the main pool.
Cpl Eddie Lachs started a social club for the kids and we held a few dances in a hall on the barracks. A lot of Neil Diamond was played.
Getting myself kicked out of a birthday party for bringing (and playing) a Frank Zappa album that used the "f' word repeatedly.

Around POM
Dad's 27 ft motorised catamaran, "Wanem". BBQs on the front deck at Local Island with other boats tied up alongside.
Papua Yacht Club: sailing Corsairs on the harbour with Maj Brian Doyle; A Paper Tiger pitch-poling in a blow; Brian Doyle and I gybing a 32' polynesian cat to its mooring in a 'Goober'.
That yellow tinge the sky took on most afternoons in the wet season just before the deluge that stopped just as quickly as it started.
The fire sale at Steam Ships where my Mum was employed as their telephone receptionist.
Betel nut splashed over the footpath.
Catching a boy truck back to Murray Barracks.

Thanks for the opportunity to dig these memories out, Margaret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretdb
I wondered what other people who lived in Moresby in the late 60's and early 70's remember about it.

I remember the day Steamies in town got all the flavoured ice creams (I think there was about 20 flavours - it was a magic day for us kids)

I remember the "Show day" near the Uni in around 1968 when the showbags were "Real" sample bags, they actually had samples of matches would you believe !!!

I remember going to the drive-in every weekend - you didnt even care what was on - you just went every week. I remember that at the drive-in on your birthday your name was called out and you got some free lollies - not just a packet, but a drink, potato chips and many packets of lollies. We had a cyclone on my sisters birthday one year and still we went - there was two cars there, and they showed the movie (and she got her free lollies). I also remember when they built the picture theatre at Boroko near the entrance to the drive in. I remember "check your dockets" when you went to the drive in and had dinner there. (It was not the "greasy take aways" you get at drive in's now, but great meals).

I remember the songs of the time - (I always think of Moresby when I hear them)
"Is this the way to Armarillo" - Tony Christie.
"Raindrops keep falling on my head" - Johnny Farnham
"Green green grass of home" - Tom Jones

Lets hear what YOU remember ?

Margaret

Last edited by Geoff_S; 31-12-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 28-12-2007, 03:43 PM

hello geoff.
funny enough "the snowdons" came up on two occasions recently, one with spook who recalled you guys and one with my family at christmas as we were reminiscing over new guinea after our recent trip back. i cant remember you but the name rang a bell as did casey/dermanns/stanford/shepherds/ cross/curry/roylance/doyle/ray stevenson/knights etc.
i think my dad said your father had something to do with the workshops across wards road if my memory is ok. ive got photoes of the old fogger in action.
recently tried to walk through that back paddock but its all overgrown. were you guys the ones who used to ride that old motorbike around the paddock or was it the shepherds? someone also owned a white boxer/bulldog (?archie) that used to chase people up that lane to the paddock. we lived at 24 sattleburg circle 72/73/74 and at wau st in ?66/67/68.
cheers
Old 29-12-2007, 12:02 PM

cbatchelor is on a distinguished road
my memory is being jogged

I too remember being sprayed in the aeroplane. I was dressed in a pure polyester pink dress that stuck to me when I got out of the plane. We came from Melbourne and yes it was hot hot hot. My sister had a broken leg and when we arrived at our house it had 125 steps straight up, my dad had to carry my 13yr old sister, who was very tall, all the way up. We often ate at dunkos diner on the right i think on the way to the drive in. There was a little coffee shop in boroko with a yellow picture of a foot on the window where we ate toasted cheese sandwiches. I recall the arrival of princess anne and captain mark phillips, there was a huge to do at an arena. I remember independance day, watching the planes fly over. I rememeber a little car called a FART - an acronym for something I have forgotten. Being in the girl guides and supervising the cubs on their camp. Babysitting often even though I was only 11. Spending many weekends on islands, getting there by someones catarman, sailing with matthew connor for the first time. Our dog humphrey falling off the boat and under the motor while we all waited to see if he was dead or alive, he was alive and dad jumping in the ocean to save him, then having to jump back in because his smokes fell out of his pocket and were floating away (they were in a waterproof packet). Steak Diane at the Yacht Club. Dad's boat - rat fink, speeding over the waves sitting on the front of it, squealing with joy. The beautiful fish we saw when we stopped in the middle of the ocean. Climbing that many coconut trees I became almost professional at it. Finding a phone box behind the shop that rang tasmania (our grandparents) for free! Spending an enormous amount of time at the speedway with our purple stockcar the streaker which mum painted a picture of a naked woman on the roof of. Spending time with lefty, john and nadia o'connor and their kids. Walking home literally through the family pool as it was so hot and by the time we got home we were dry again. Watching all my friends leave on the arcadia. Adult parties that lasted for days while us kids just amused ourselves. Playing spin the bottle near a gas tank at the sargeants mess on a friday night and being caught by an MP, we all ran for our lives. Sweet potato chips at the university show day. Kokoda trail and the motel attached to it. Being scared to death by the mud men. Having to leave our dog there with our houseboy Gillian. A lot of fun.