Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 AM

bdarcey is on a distinguished road
Toniva Primary (1970 - 1975)

My brother (Frank Darcey) and I (Belinda Darcey) went to Toniva Primary when Mr. Kim Rothe was the principal. Aside from having a huge crush on him, I liked him because he made us go on a "nature walk" i.e. a hike through the jungle in the hills behind the school with a sarafe... He also made us play soccer on our knees (in a squatting position, running like ducks, etc. Maybe he was high.

Anyway, I remember Suzy Taylor and Kristen Charles and Simone Craswell and her big brother Dillon (whom she BARELY tolerated), Richard (Frostie) Frost, the entire Seeto clan (Dennis, Denise, Ricky) and many other faces, though names escape me at the moment. I remember morning assemblies under the tree and having to sing about 5 different songs/anthems (God Save The Queen, Our Land, This is our Flag, etc), I suppose to satisfy all the parents and cover all the bases.

I remember making Milo sandwiches (bread, butter and a thick layer of Milo) and PURPOSELY leaving it in my plastic backpack, near the school entrance in the tropical sun, so that by recess I had a liquid chocolate sandwich. Yummo.

My Dad ran an export busines (coffee, cocoa, copra, shell, artifacts) in Toniva, across the street from the Davara, next to Chee's. My Mum, Ivy Darcey worked there also, and taught sewing at Toniva Primary at one point - very briefly - until she threw a duster at a kid who wouldn't shut up. That was the end of that...Write if any of this rings a bell.

P.S. I'm now living in Montreal, Canada, It's cold but I love it. Big sister Susie is in New York, Judy in Sydney, parents and brother in Cairns. All still going strong. Must've been all that quinine.

Last edited by bdarcey; 25-10-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 20-10-2007, 01:56 PM

scraz is on a distinguished road
A crush on Rothe? Are you sure that was quinine you were popping?
Old 21-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Is that Simone Craswell, by any chance??
Old 16-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Frosty is on a distinguished road
Think about toniva primary now and then. Only wish my kids could have experienced a place and schooling like that.
Old 17-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Frosty?

Frosty?! Richard Frost?? Do you still have white hair? Was that you who got the duster/chalk in the head courtesy of my Mum?
Old 17-07-2008, 11:35 AM

book on Bougainville

Big news this week. My Dad's book is finally in print. (Yes, at 80, he's decided to become a writer. See what happens when they have too much time on their hands?)

It's called Bougainville Blue, and is a fictional tale of life set on Bougainville from the time the Bougainville Copper mine opened to its demise, with quite a few colorful characters. Names changed to protect the guilty. You can read more about it on his blog: braindarcey.blogspot.com or the book's site: bougainvilleblue.com

Drop him a line if you want it autographed. He'd be delighted to oblige.
Old 17-07-2008, 02:14 PM

Is that a Fruity Fruit Bat I see?
Old 17-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Frosty is on a distinguished road
The hair is probably tending to be a little on the grey side these days (should be thankful that i still have it). Dont recall getting hit with the duster, but remember the blackboard ruler.
A few more names for you, Barry & Carolyne Phipps, Laurie Goldinger??, Solomon Sari, Michael Harris & someone Telford?
Currently residing in Mackay QLD.
PS I do remember sewing shirts.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 PM

davidwtierney is on a distinguished road
Belinda

Did not go to Toniva. However lived on Buks Is. and attended Kamarau Primary where Kim Rothe taught the whole school (11 pupils). Nice guy, last I heard he was living in Robe South Australia. After Buka we moved to Kieta, I think Simmone Craswell was a neighbour in Happy Valley. At that time I had started boarding school in Aust - met Simmone during the school holidays - I remember a group of us motoring out to Pok Pok Island (for the day - no adults - a great time).

Returned to Bougainville last year.

Regards - David Tierney
Old 16-08-2008, 02:09 AM

I read your other post, David. It is great to know the tree is still there. Tell your brother I said "hi".