Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > School Mates

School Mates Catch up with your school mates from PNG. TISOL, POMIS, RIS, POM Grammar, Bulae, and a lot more!

Old 26-11-2014, 11:56 PM

Margot Nelson is on a distinguished road
I lived at Igam Barracks in 68/69. My dad, Gordon Lilley, was OC 183 Independent Reconnaissance Flight Unit. He brought the first lot of pilots to Igam after the Corps of Aviation was formed in June '68. I had a brother Ian and a sister Annette. We went to Igam Primary for the last half of '68 and then Ian went to Lae High and Annette and I changed to Coronation Drive because our mum was teaching there. We would drive in each day, over the ford and the dirt road.

We lived on the corner of Kokoda and ?? directly behind the Bishops. Dr Crozier and his family lived opposite us and the Dales lived next door. Mrs Dale told my mum that I was throwing my malaria tablets into the garden every day! I remember the Mellings and also the Drapers.

I was only 5 when we arrived but I have great memories of our time in Igam and Lae. I remember: playing in the jungle behind the married quarters when the military band went up there to practice, soft serve ice creams, going to the movies in Lae, being taught to ride a bike by our house boy and stacking the bike while coming down the hill at the front of our house, being taught to swim by a PNG soldier, Perry, who later went to Portsea to become an officer. We continued swimming lessons in the pool at the Cecil Hotel in Lae. I also remember a plague of large green caterpillars coming out of the jungle. My sister and I did ballet on the base and for the concert we did Hans Christian Anderson. I remember being cast in all the 'male' roles (Ugly Duckling, The Emperor etc).

There is a film of the opening of the barracks in Sep '68. The URL is www.awm.gov.au/collection/F04239/ It also has a small clip of the opening of the chapel. You may see someone you recognise.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts.

Margot Nelson (née Lilley)
Old 27-12-2014, 10:31 PM

lauwtsl is on a distinguished road
Igam

Thank you for the link Margot - pretty much similar memories although I was 8 when we arrived in June 1968. Even that trip is permanently stamped on my memory including the plane over the Owen Stanley's. I remember your brother as pretty sure he was in my sisters class. I do recall he had a sense of humour! I remember the Dales, Ottways, Francis's, Sullivan's, Dawson's, Barniers, Walters, Foysters, Mellings, Goldspinks, Coles, Harringtons, Moreros, to name a few.

I hit Lae High in 1971. Dad got his posting extended so we were very lucky. But Igam and all the things you could do freely (like just play in the jungle or down the creek) was the best of times. Igam primary was the best school and going bush for craft classes was a highlight, so was riding a bike anywhere you wanted to. And when the swimming pool was built, wasn't that popular. Dad used to take us there very early in the morning and we had to dodge the odd cane toad swimming. And the movie theatre, and the army bus ride to town(very elite).

I have recently scanned some of Dads old slides so will post a few that I think have not been posted before.

If I ever find the time I have always wanted to create a web site of those times. I know there are PNG FACEBOOK pages but they are too general and not structured...one day. Hard to describe to people what an idyllic world Igam was, particularly for a child.

If you do have any photos to post that would be great. Say Gidday to your family from the Lauws.

Regards
San Lauw
Kokoda Crecent

Last edited by lauwtsl; 27-12-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 14-02-2015, 10:30 PM

WendyPassmore is on a distinguished road
The Passmores

Hi there to all of the ex-Igam Barracks residents. The Passmores were there from 1971-1973. My name is Wendy and Leanne is a year older than me. I attended Igam for the last 2 years of primary school, and then briefly at Lae high. I think our house was the very first in the married quarters, opposite the school.
My mum started a Sunday school there, and we used to take the flat boat over to salamau Island quite regularly.
Does anyone remember us?
Old 16-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Igam Barracks

Hi Wendy
I don't remember you but my brother may - his name is Giok Lauw (my older brother, my older sister and I had already moved through to Lae High by 1971). Giok would have been in grade 5 in 1971 and grade 6 in 1972 the year we left Igam. Will post of photo of a presentation ceremony at Igam during his time there as you may recognise someone including him. Note the picture should be the mirror image not as presented.

regards
San Lauw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GiokPrimary0003.jpg (199.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 19-05-2015, 07:20 AM

timq is on a distinguished road
Was going through old stuff for a move and came across this. Igam grades 5/6, 1972.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg igam72s.jpg (180.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 19-05-2015, 08:50 AM

Igam Photo

Hi Timq
That's a great photo! Would be great to get a higher res copy so I can print for Giok if you are able to. I have never seen that before.
Regards
San Lauw
Old 14-06-2015, 01:31 AM

Ruthy1 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone, stumbled across this forum whilst doing some research on my dad for a book I am writing. I was at igam with my family from 1968 to 1973. My dad was the RQMS and always flew the helicopter and landed it on the oval behind the house. I have great memories of Igam. The Bishops, Lauws, Ottways, Browns, Buckleys,Passmores, Giok was in my class as well as Stephen Ottway. My sisters were Cleon, Joy Fae and Marion. Boy so many memories and great times. We do need a reunion. sorry to hear about Mrs Ottway and Mr Lauw. i Lost my dad back in 1995 from Liver and heart Disease and my dear Mother in 1997 from Cancer. i actually ran into Cheryl Brown here in Singleton a few years ago. Her Son owned a Signwriting business.
Hope to hear back from all. If anyone has photos of the guides that would be great or my dad Jim Walters. I also remember the rides down the Busu river and Trips to Salamau
regards Ruth Rogers(nee Walters)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG as Guides and Brownies.JPG (108.9 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Ruthy1; 14-06-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 14-06-2015, 03:18 PM

Hi Ruth
Sorry to hear of your parents passing. Seems with the long passage of time many of our parents are now part of our fond memories only. Certainly Igam was one of the best periods of my life to date.

I remember your sister as she was friends with my sister Sian. Pretty sure we have a picture of Cleon with Sian at Lae airport when my sister was going back to boarding school. I will try and find it over next few days. And did Cheryl Brown have an older sister? Vaguely remember her.

I will alert Giok to your post - he does not post stuff...he joined the army and must have clocked up over 35 years by now. Who would have believed that! And did you mean Simon Ottway - as Stephen pretty sure was in Cleon's class.

Hope your family is doing well.
best regards
San
Old 14-06-2015, 03:45 PM

The Walters

Hi again Ruth,
Found it...best if I action something straight away otherwise chances are I would forget! Pretty sure that is Mark Tilbrook with your sister and my sister.
best regards
San
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PNG Igam High Res Batch 9_0004.jpg (193.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 24-03-2016, 08:58 PM

grantacraig is on a distinguished road
The Craigs

I have just stumbled on the forum and I am blown away by how many kids that where at IGAM there are around and rediscovering each other in forums like this.

I was at IGAM 69/70/71 where my father WO Thomas Craig was the OIC of the Signal Centre. I did 5/6 grade at Igam Primary and my first year of high school at Lae High School.

When I first started reading this forum I could not remember anyone specifically but as I read further and looked at the photos more and more started coming back to me. I can remember a few names, Guy, Marcus, the Harringtons, the Bishops and the photos of the houses and barracks are exactly as I remember it all. There were 4 of us kids Grant (myself, Adam, Kerry and Sean). Sadly my father, Adam and Sean are now deceased. As I have read in several posts, the army men of the time had a high prevalence of cancer

The memories of the school, pool, scout camps in the jungle, the movie nights, the games of pontoon that would go late into the night are all flooding back. What a great life we had there as kids, with no worries and enjoying the freedom of life in an army camp in the 70's.
I dont know if anyone still follows this forum, but I would love to converse with you.