Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 18-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
A vet’s life in PNG – Dr Pawel’s story - By Alison Anis

Getting use to life in a tropically hot and humid country like Papua New Guinea can be quite tough – especially when you’re from Poland where there are four seemingly endless seasons of summer, winter, autumn and spring.

For a veterinarian who paid his first visit and has been in the country for six weeks now, “the sun sets so fast in the afternoons that sometimes there isn’t enough to do for a day.”

Dr Pawel (Paul) Kita, who is Polish in every sense, says he doesn’t really care about the climate, but has taken a genuine liking to fellow Papua New Guineans. He has even indicated his interest in spending some more time in the country.

“Papua New Guineans are very friendly people. I see that I can communicate and relate well with them because I think we have something in common – like us, in PNG families are very important,” says Dr Pawel who hasn’t seen his wife Margaret and two lovely daughters Aleksandra, 9 and 1 and half months old Natalia, since he left them in Poland to come here in PNG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul---nice-pic1500.jpg (45.1 KB, 615 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 18-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Dr Paul is actually the fourth vet in the family after his father, uncle and aunt. Dr Pawel says the work of vet has existed in his family for 126 years – he continues that profession today.

Dr Pawel was practically born in a veterinarian clinic at his home which was owned and run by members of his family.

“I was never dreaming or not dreaming about becoming a vet myself, but because I was raised in a family of vets I saw that it was only natural for me to become a vet.

“This is something I felt I had to do and whether I like or not I have to do it – it is my job,” Dr Pawel stated as a matter of fact.

Dr Pawel now works as a private vet at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Papua New Guinea Inc (RSPCA), located along Waigani Drive, in Port Moresby.

At RSPCA, the vet is usually kept busy on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and the number declines on Thursdays, Fridays and during the weekends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul-about-to-operate.jpg (46.8 KB, 614 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

“I think the busiest I had ever become while here was when I had five visits in a day. Usually I get to treat dogs more often than cats. The common diseases are skin problems caused by parasites,” Dr Pawel said.

But if there is anything worth remembering in Dr Pawel’s life in PNG, it would be the day when he treated the fully grown sick crocodile for the first time.

It was quiet an experience for the vet who had never dealt with a crocodile or pukpuk as it is called in PNG, in his entire life. Certainly he hasn’t forgotten his first encounter with the ‘Pukpuk.’ The vet’s face lit up as he recalled how, in Bomana, they got the sick crocodile out of the pond where it was kept along with others so he could examine it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crocodile.jpg (97.6 KB, 613 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Cruelty towards animal especially dogs as witnessed on several occasions in the country is one thing he does not like.

“In other countries people are actually thrown in jail for mistreating animals but that doesn’t happen here in PNG,” he says.

The doctor stressed that animals like dogs were okay as long as people created and offer a kind and loving environment for them.

“I have observed that there are a lot of dogs in the country – some of them usually don’t have an owner. What people should do is deworm or remove worms. These worms could cause internal parasites and it’s dangerous especially when you have dogs living with little children.”

“People don’t realize this but 82 percent new cases of diseases arise when they don't look after the animals properly. The most common is skins problems caused by parasites,” said Dr Pawel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paul---operating-1.jpg (45.6 KB, 600 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Educational background :

Dr Pawel earned his PhD degree at the Department of Infectious Diseases. Between 1990 and 1998 he was studying at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Warsaw, Poland.

While achieving his degree, he was working in several places and at the same time lecturing.

This include The Laboratory, the Hospital of Small Animals controlled by the University, two private practices, and as a lecturer a his University.

“The focus of my interest is in infectious diseases of small animals but I also work as an internal surgeon. The subject of my PhD thesis was “Diagnostic and occurancy of retroviral and corona viral infections of cats, but at the same time I had my lectures for practitioners, scientists etc. in Poland as well as Europe,” he says
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pawelobrona500.jpg (33.1 KB, 577 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

The vet was picked to come and work in PNG as an annual veterinarian.

“Papua New Guinea seems like a great place to work at. It is a wonderful opportunity for me to be able to expand my professional knowledge in a different country. I deeply believe that the only way to undergo continuous development of my career is by being open to different cultures and methods.”

//Ends
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vet.jpg (66.1 KB, 583 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:47 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

No, I dont think this cute cat is looking for a home coz he looks so peaceful curled up here against the fence :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pussy-cat.jpg (48.3 KB, 568 views)
Old 18-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Receptionist poses for a photograph :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg receptionist.jpg (37.7 KB, 564 views)
Old 19-10-2003, 08:01 AM

dalmatians is on a distinguished road
dogs in PNG

Hi, we are likely to be moving to PNG in Dec 03 Jan 04 with our own three dogs. haven't been able to find any info (online or from PNG authorities) on import and quarantine regs for taking dosg into PNG. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Nick T
Old 19-10-2003, 09:32 AM

lapunman is on a distinguished road
Taking Dogs to PNG.

I think taking them to PNG is not a problem, as long as they do not fall into the dangerous category like Pit Bulls.

The issue is taking them back to Australia. I think this is a very expensive process, and the dogs have to be in quaranteen for months. 6 months rings a bell. You may want to look into this side of things.