Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 21-01-2020, 01:49 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
My wife Karen Gillan was on Lorraine on December 6 2019 to talk about Jumanji: The Next Level and Doctor Who also comes up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zynj4hvBIc

Other things that came up is her wanting to direct a horror film with Lorraine suggesting that she should cast Matt Smith in such a film.
Old 23-01-2020, 10:27 PM

42 x 4 - Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror:
Similar in name to Night Terrors.
Written by Nina Metivier in this her Doctor Who debut.
Also Doctor Who debut by director Nida Manzoor.
Nikola Tesla is played here by Goran Višnjić. This is not the first time that Višnjić has been in a time travel series as he was a regular in Timeless (2016-18).
Glad to see Višnjić in Doctor Who.
Surprising how the Doctor made her entrance and met Tesla.
Surprised on seeing a Silurian blaster but no Silurians.
We see the Statue of Liberty in New York City.
This is the fourth episode of Jodie Whittaker's second season as the Doctor. Correspondingly the fourth episode of David Tennant's second season as the Doctor too had the Statue of Liberty and New York City in Daleks In Manhattan.
We soon meet Thomas Edison played by Robert Glenister.
Glenister had been in Doctor Who before in 1984 playing Salateen in the Peter Davision swansong The Caves of Androzani.
Given the New York setting (and New York includes Manhattan) of Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror, Glenister's more recent past work included a 2012 TV movie coincidentally called We'll Take Manhattan where he played Jean Shrimpton's father and Jean Shrimpton was played by my wife Karen Gillan.
My wife Karen as Amy was in the said similarly named Night Terrors.
As Edison, Glenister got to be in the TARDIS, something he didn't get to do when he was Salateen in The Caves of Androzani.
Quite terrifying those scorpions on the ship that Yaz and Tesla were teleported to.
I thought it was the Racnoss, introduced in The Runaway Bride, that I was seeing in the queen before she revealed herself to be the Skithra instead.
I was surprised to learn afterwards that Queen Skithra was played by Anjli Mohindra , formerly Rani Chandra in The Sarah Jane Adventures.
I knew that Anjli had been cast as a guest star this season but I didn't know it was with her face covered up.
This marked a reunion between her and Bradley Walsh (Graham) as he was the said villainous clown in her SJA debut The Day of The Clown.
This time around their positions are reversed as Anjli is the one playing the villain.
Funny when the Queen Skithra had her picture taken by a camera.
Amusingly Anjli in an interview said that Walsh didn't recognise her under all that prosthetics!
As Edison and Tesla were presented as adversaries, it was only fair that after Edison's turn, Tesla got his in being in the TARDIS.
Funny moment with the high five as I don't think it existed back then.
Having been presented as adversaries, it was good that Edison and Tesla were together to defeat Queen Skithra.
Sad when the Doctor tells Yaz what became of Tesla after this as he deserved better with what he had achieved.

A very good story about Tesla with a very good and sincere performance by Višnjić as him and definite good Who debut by writer Nina Metivier.
Old 24-01-2020, 01:03 AM

From Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia:

Myths and Historical Impossibilities -
"A book Karen Gillan was reading aloud to Matthew See which contained a number of stories that seemed to be about the Doctor." [The Impossible Astronaut]
Old 24-01-2020, 08:34 AM

In Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia read the entry on Myths and Historical Impossibilities and 270 entries after that is Pond, Amelia Jessica (Amy).

As 270 to win is a certain saying I therefore won Amy this way!
Edit

Last edited by Matt See; 24-01-2020 at 08:36 AM.
Old 25-01-2020, 01:13 AM

From Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia:

Mr Nainby -
"....He was amongst those who attacked the Doctor in the butcher's shop and Matthew See and Karen Gillan in their cottage.
....it seemed likely he was someone known to Matthew and Karen back home."
Old 30-01-2020, 07:02 PM

Doom Coalition 1: The Galileo Trap:
Penultimate episode of Doom Coalition 1.
Written by Marc Platt.
The Doctor, Liv and Helen in her first episode travelling as a companion meets Galileo in 1639 in the midst of their search for the Eleven.
Certainly it got my attention when one of the aliens said to the travellers the word snapshot indicating that he is not of this time and of this world.
Overall I did not enjoy this as it fell kind of flat with me.
Old 30-01-2020, 07:36 PM

42 x 5 - Fugitive of the Judoon:
Written by Vinay Patel and showrunner Chris Chibnall.
The Judoon comes to Gloucester looking for a fugitive.
Shocking that old woman got killed just because she got scared by the arrival of the Judoon.
Taken aback when Graham suddenly disappeared.
Funny when the Doctor said words that rhymed with Judoon.
It was so obvious that the Doctor made up the law about Earth to the Judoon Captain.
Until the Doctor said it, had no idea that the Judoon Captain was a woman!

Captain Jack Harkness is back and what a way for him to return first by hearing his voice and then teleporting on that ship.
Graham is again mistaken as the Doctor this time by Jack.
Jack finds out that the Doctor is now a woman just by Graham mentioning it to him.
Jack soon meets Ryan and Yaz as well with the former saying cheesy. This is reminiscent of the way Jack first met Mickey in Boom Town with the definition of what cheesy means.
Jack mentioned the nanogenes which was first introduced in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Jack's introductory story.
Disappointed that Jack did not meet the Doctor as she is now but did leave the message about the Lone Cyberman.
The fugitive turned out to be Ruth and that she had a sleeper identity.
This is reminiscent of the Torchwood episode Sleeper, an episode that Chibnall would have come across as Torchwood head writer.
When Ruth took the Doctor to the lighthouse it was shocked that the Doctor found the TARDIS buried in the ground.
Ruth then revealed to be the Doctor her identity being hidden by the Chameleon Arch. From that moment this had me absolutely confused, perhaps in a good way, including the revelation that Gat is from Gallifrey.
With Ruth being revealed as an unknown incarnation of the Doctor I came across a rumour that Chibnall had come up with this very idea in 2018 during his and Jodie's first season but I didn't really take it seriously at the time.

We first see Team TARDIS here with the Doctor looking for the Master. With Jack back, his message about the Lone Cyberman and Ruth revealed as the Doctor.

I look forward to find out what this all means.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Re-reading the Doctor Who novel The Murder Game by Steve Lyons published in 1997 and featuring the Second Doctor, Ben and Polly.
This had the TARDIS crew arriving on a space station in 2146 and someone asked Polly about RPGs.

Polly, who is from the 1960s, had no idea what RPGs are.

The Doctor then explained that RPGs is an acronym role playing games.

Lyons however was incorrect to describe RPGs as an acronym as acronyms are initials that can be pronounce as words and RPGs cannot be pronounce as a word and it is incredulous that the Doctor would make a mistake like this.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:08 PM

The Stranger, Australia’s answer to Doctor Who:
mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-02/abc-iview-to-stream-the-stranger-australian-dr-who/11870424?pfmredir=sm
Old 04-02-2020, 05:27 PM

Judoon Law 101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNLJ...7KKQILmYWnolVk