Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 29-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Season 36:
From DoctorWhoNews.com:
Annabel Cleare has been cast in episode 7 and Cleare has confirmed on her Twitter account that her young son Henry also has a role in the episode.

Child actress Lydia Fewell has been cast in an unspecified episode as a Child Alien.

Hugh Bonneville has been cast in episode 3 directed by Jeremy Webb. Bonneville will play Avery.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Shakedown:
Second audio story from Fineline Productions:
http://www.westlakefilms.co.uk/shakedown.html

Written by Gary Phillips.
Shakedown is also the name of a 1995 independent Doctor Who spin-off video drama.
Playing the Doctor here is Joe Binks replacing Adrian Hudson who was unavailable and no regeneration was involved in this story.
While Joe Binks was fine as the Doctor, Shakedown felt less than satisfying.
Even the producer and writer from their notes had various feelings about it, found it odd or did not completely understand it.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.com:
Season 36:
Danny Sapani has been cast in episode 7 playing Colonel Manton.
Lee Ross has been cast in episode 3 playing Boatswain. Ross is no stranger to Steven Moffat as he had played Kenny in the Moffat-created series Press Gang.
Ross had also previously worked with Matt Smith in Moses Jones.
Meanwhile another director has been identified that of Nick Hurran. Hurran’s previous credits included The Prisoner and directing Fifth Doctor Peter Davison for the pilot of The Last Detective.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Red:
Red was an audio story featuring the Seventh Doctor and Mel.
Released in August 2006 by Big Finish Productions and written by Stewart Sheargold.
Having previously written some Doctor Who Short Trips and for the Benny range, Red is Sheargold’s Doctor Who audio debut.
As Sheargold explained in his notes on the CD sleeve that for this story Red is not just a colour but also a feeling of passion or rage as Red has the Doctor and Mel visiting a society in which its citizens are chipped to prevent them from committing violence.
As the citizens are unable to commit violence they seem to regard it as a forbidden pleasure rather than something that is fundamentally wrong.
Red presents a very thought provoking theme about the thought of committing violence and the consequences of it when violence is actually committed.
Among the cast for this story is John Stahl as the computer Whitenoise. Nothwithstanding that Whitenoise is a computer, John Stahl was very effective in displaying Whitenoise’s amoral attitude to the society that he was overseeing.
A fun bit of this story was Mel being on her own without the Doctor when it was raining. A trademark of the Seventh Doctor is the fact that he carries an umbrella. This meant that when Mel was not with the Doctor when it rained it led her to comment of all the times to use the Doctor’s umbrella it was not available to her when the appropriate time came to use it. As the Doctor remarked at the end of the story the absence to Mel of his umbrella was a metaphor of always wanting something that you don’t have. It was therefore quite fitting that Sheargold included the Mel-raining scene to be part of the theme that Red was conveying and it conveyed it very well.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.net:
Margaret John has passed away.

Born on December 15 1926, John appeared in two Doctor Who stories.
In 1968 she appeared in the Patrick Troughton story Fury From the Deep playing Megan Jones in the last three episodes of this six-part story.
She made her return to Doctor Who in 2006 in the David Tennant episode The Idiot’s Lantern playing Tommy's Grandma a part she also played in the preceding TARDISODE for this episode.

Outside of Doctor Who, she appeared in the first episode of Blake’s 7 playing the arbiter in Blake’s trial.

Other roles included the Doomwatch episodes Friday’s Child & Waiting For A Knighthood, an episode of Little Britain and appearing with Torchwood star Eve Myles in the TV movie Framed.

She died on February 2 2011 at the age of 84.

Last edited by Matt See; 03-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM

In a radio interview with Chris Evans, David Walliams has revealed that he will be appearing in Doctor Who in season 36:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/02...ams-talks.html

Despite what he said, Walliams has had Doctor Who roles before in the Big Finish audio drama Phatasmogoria and some comedy sketches with Mark Gatiss in 1999.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Remembrance of the Daleks:
The DVD info text for Part 3 stated that the series never really shown what was inside a Dalek. The info text of the Special Edition of Remembrance of the Daleks included in the Davros Collection is a straight copy of the text from the story’s previous DVD release in 2001. The Davros Collection was released in late 2007 which meant that statement of the series never showing the inside of a Dalek is outdated as the inside of a Dalek was shown in the 2005 episode Dalek.
With the mention of Bernard Quatermass in this story the info text mentioned four Quatermass serials. If the info text had been updated for the Special Edition the writer would no doubt had mentioned the 2005 remake of The Quatermass Experiment and mentioned that included in its cast was David Tennant. The basis of David Tennant getting a mention in an updated version of the notes is due to the fact that at the beginning of the notes it did mentioned Remembrance of the Daleks director Andrew Morgan had directed Patrick Troughton and Colin Baker in non-Who related productions. Since Troughton and Baker got mentioned being in non-Who related productions because of Andrew Morgan then surely David Tennant could have gotten a mention because of a non-Who related production in Quatermass.
What differentiates the Special Edition from the previous version is due to newly made special features. If one was able to find time to make new materials for the Special Edition one has to wonder why no time at all was spent in updating the info text.

Last edited by Matt See; 06-02-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM

From DoctorWhoNews.net:
Doctor Who has won in five categories at the 2011 SFX Awards –

Matt Smith beats his predecessor David Tennant for Best Actor

Karen Gillan won Best Actress.

Doctor Who won Best TV Show and the 'Sci-Fi Phenomenon Award'.

Other awards saw Character Options won Best Collectible, Model or Toy for their Eleven Doctors action figure set and Russell Tovey (Midshipman Alonso Frame, Voyage of the Damned and The End of Time, Part Two) won the 'SFX Cult Hero'.

Vincent and the Doctor however lost to the final episode of Ashes to Ashes for Best TV Episode.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 AM

The Companion Chronicles: Old Soldiers:
Old Soldiers is the third story of the second audio season of The Companion Chronicles.
Released by Big Finish Productions in December 2007.
Featuring the Third Doctor and the Brigadier with Nick Courtney playing the Brigadier as he recounts the events of this story.
Taking place between the TV stories The Silurians & The Ambassadors of Death
It is some weeks after the events of The Silurians when the Doctor has become very cross with the Brigadier for destroying the Silurians at the end of their title story.
With the Doctor sulking away, the Brigadier is asked for help from an old friend who was the commander of a base at a castle. It is there that the Brigadier finds out about phantoms who seems unbeatable and the Brigadier contacts the Doctor to help him out with this situation. Of course the Doctor complies with this request.
Nick Courtney’s narration is great and it plays on well with events during the Doctor Who TV series which it takes place at.
Old Soldiers provides a good lesson about the Doctor, the Brigadier and the Brigadier’s friend Konrad and that is they did what they thought was the right thing to do. It is a lesson any old soldier should never forget.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM

The BBC Doctor Who website has confirmed that actress and model Lily Cole will guest star in 36.3 playing "a mysterious creature that haunts a pirate ship".