Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Part 3 of The Brain of Morbius has the info text writer finally explaining how the Robin Bland name came about. However I do think that the writer should have stated that he intended to explain the Robin Bland name when he first mentioned it in Part 2.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM

From the Doctor Who News Page:
It has been confirmed that Tamzin Outhwaite will be in the 2013 Neil Gaiman episode along with Warwick Davis and Jason Watkins.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM

Although no new episodes are currently being shown, Doctor Who got mentioned in two reviews in this week’s Sydney Morning Herald Guide.
In her review of Red Dwarf season 10 opener Trojan, Michelle Griffin said the sets “look like second-hand job lots from the pre-revamp Doctor Who”. Griffin made the comment that the Red Dwarf cast members have aged in real time. This comment brought back memories of someone saying prior or circa 2003 that a Red Dwarf movie was more likely than a Doctor Who TV comeback as Doctor Who fans were getting older.
Well where’s the Red Dwarf movie now (rhetorical question) and who is getting older now (notwithstanding that it is something that we all do as I am referring to Griffin’s statement of the age of the Red Dwarf cast members and the aforementioned old comment of Doctor Who fans getting older).
The other SMH Guide reviewer to mention Doctor Who was Tim Elliott for today’s Lightning Point episode Heartbreak. Lightning Point, Elliott says, was where Summer Bay meets Doctor Who. (So anyone who was wondering what Doctor Who and Home and Away might look like apparently Lightning Point is the answer according to Elliott.)
With his mention of Doctor Who it seemed somewhat odd that the one Lightning Point cast member that Elliott did not mention in his review was Philippa Coulthard who had played Jorjie in K9.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Bidding Adieu: A Video Diary:
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Bidding..._A_Video_Diary

Released by BBV, Bidding Adieu was a documentary that followed Sylvester McCoy to Vancouver when he filmed his scenes for the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie which saw him regenerate into Paul McGann.

Saw it on Youtube beginning here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRbeG7dUxM

As well as McCoy, it also interviewed McGann, Daphne Ashbrook and Anneke Wills. Anneke Wills is present here due to the fact that she was a companion who had witnessed the very first regeneration of the Doctor when William Hartnell turned into Patrick Troughton.
For some of the scenes the interviewer was Mark Gatiss, now a Doctor Who writer.

Bidding Adieu does not really go into much about making of the TV movie as this was about McCoy reflecting on his time as the Doctor as he makes his final performance as the then current Doctor. Quite poignant for McCoy and it is easy to see this as a template to David Tennant making his video diary on his own last days as the Doctor more than a decade later.

Last edited by Matt See; 12-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 13-11-2012, 06:46 AM

Found out that David Webb, Trevor Lawrence and Christine Pollon have passed away.

David Webb played Leeson in Colony In Space.
Outside of Doctor Who he appeared as Stot in the Blake’s 7 season 2 finale Star One.
Other roles included The Avengers & The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes.

Trevor Lawrence played Lodge in Invasion of the Dinosaurs.
Other roles included Doomwatch & Quatermass (1979).

He was also an airbrush artist (uncredited) on 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Christine Pollon was voice of the Oracle in Underworld.
Other roles included The Avengers.
Old 13-11-2012, 08:29 AM

The Brain of Morbius:
Spotted one particular error with the DVD info text for Part 4. It says that the second studio day was on a date in 1977. The thing about this is that all four episodes of The Brain of Morbius was originally shown in January 1976.

So somehow the production team had a working TARDIS and travelled to 1977 to film a scene and then brought it back in time for transmission in January 1976!
Old 15-11-2012, 10:42 AM

The Chaos Pool:
The Chaos Pool is an audio story that is the final in the Key 2 Time story featuring the Fifth Doctor, Amy (not Amy Pond) and Zara along with Lalla Ward as Romana II.
Released by Big Finish Productions in March 2009 and written by Peter Anghelides (in fact this is second work from Anghelides that I have wrote about in the past few days after Torchwood: Another Life).
The Chaos Pool ends the Key 2 Time trilogy exactly the same way that the first Key to Time series ended with The Armageddon Factor with a focus on Astra (also played by Lalla Ward reprising a role that she had played in her Doctor Who debut in The Armageddon Factor). With Lalla Ward playing both Romana and Astra here there certainly some surprises that came as a result of what happened in The Armageddon Factor.
Overall an effective end to the Key 2 Time saga and subsequent to this Amy and Zara would have their own spin-off series from Big Finish, Graceless with Amy changing her name to Abby, the obvious behind the scenes decision to the change of name was to avoid confusion with Amy Pond.
Old 15-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Getting A Head:
Getting A Head is a documentary on The Brain of Morbius DVD on the making of that story and narrated by Eighth Doctor Paul McGann.
It seems somewhat appropriate that McGann narrated this documentary because in his debut as the Doctor in the 1996 TV movie the beginning of the Eighth Doctor’s life has been paralleled with a particular scene in the 1931 Frankenstein movie which was playing on a TV in a hospital. The scene from the Frankenstein movie was that of the eponymous scientist bringing to life the monster saying “It’s alive” and The Brain of Morbius has been said to be like the Frankenstein story.
During this documentary producer Phillip Hinchcliffe said if the Doctor Who production team had done everything that Mary Whitehouse wanted them to do then Doctor Who would have felt bland and emasculated.
One could easily think that Hinchcliffe was making a pun on The Brain of Morbius pseudonym Robin Bland but the tone of his voice indicates that a pun was unintended.
Old 15-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Renaissance of the Daleks:
Renaissance of the Daleks is an audio story featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa.
Released by Big Finish Productions in March 2007.
It is based on a story from Doctor Who script editor Christopher H Bidmead, It is credited that way because of the changes that were made due to the editing process Bidmead could not claim that this story was solely of his devising.
The scenario here presents an alternative timeline in which the Dalek Invasion of Earth never took place (a situation that the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa had encountered in The Mutant Phase). This presents rather a dilemma for the Doctor because of course it isn’t pleasant to restore this timeline back the way it was supposed to be.
It is very interesting premise that Bidmead has presented with this story even though as already mentioned it has gone through changes that was not of Bidmead’s making.
The guest cast was superb including William Hope as General Tillington.
A particular fun aspect of this story was the role of the song Three Blind Mice played in it.

The interviews in this release was very enjoyable including William Hope talking about his career and speculation of what became one of the characters after the story’s conclusion.
Old 17-11-2012, 06:27 AM

From TV Tonight:
ABC1 will fasttrack the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Special on Boxing Day Night at 7:30pm.