Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise

The Journey to Paradise Photos of great cultural and natural beauties of Papua New Guinea

Old 22-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Flora And Fauna

A great percentage of Papua New Guinea's land mass is covered with a dense blanket of rainforest - an exotic tangle of vines, creepers, flowers, plants and trees. Wild orchids blaze against a verdant green background of rainforest canopy. Papua New Guinea has a greater number of orchid species than any country in the world.

Bird life is prolific. The most famous is the Bird of Paradise. Of the 43 known species of Birds of Paradise, 38 are found in Papua New Guinea. These brilliantly coloured birds perform bizarre ritualistic and mating dances and were hunted by early traders for their feathers.

Most animals in Papua New Guinea are marsupials, relatives of those found in Australia.

Although not indigenous to Papua New Guinea, pigs are valuable source of food and an important status symbol among Highlands tribal people. Rusa deer are a more recent arrival, brought into the Indonesian province of Irian Jaya by Dutch colonists, they crossed into the southwest part of the country around Western and Gulf Provinces.

There are about 200 species of reptiles, including thirteen different turtle species and 100 different types of snakes.
Papua New Guinea has a multitude of insects. In 1978 the Insect Farming and Trading Agency, at Bulolo in Morobe Province, was established by the PNG Division of Wildlife to initiate and control the local insect farming industry and further market it overseas. It ensures strict controls of quality and accompanying scientific data. It is the only organisation permitted by the Papua New Guinean Government to farm and trade insects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby crocodiles.jpg (20.2 KB, 548 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 22-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Research workers at the IFTA have discovered many new species. Special area of research have included detailed studies of all native birdwing butterflies and a study of the plight and conversation strategies needed to save Queen Alexandra's birdwing, ornithoptera alexandrae, the largest known butterfly in the world, which is found only in Papua New Guinea's Oro Province.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orchid.jpg (18.1 KB, 497 views)
Old 23-11-2007, 05:21 AM

zechico is on a distinguished road
Birdwing butterflies

I am very concerned with the preservation of birdwing butterflies. Im trying to contact some institution or cientist that study these butterflies, but Im not succesfully yet. Im making my phd in concervation, using molecular markers. Id love to travel to PNG and dedicate my life to preservation of these butterflies.
Old 24-03-2018, 10:27 PM

MarkPope is on a distinguished road
This must be something quite interesting to go on a trail in new guinea. it could also help me with my research for the trusted writing online service. keep us updated about the details of it and i will be tunig more to check them out