Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 30-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories: Breaking Bubbles:

Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories is an anthology release from Big Finish and featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
It starts with Breaking Bubbles.
Written by LM Myles.
The Doctor and Peri finds themselves on a prison ship and meets its prisoner the deposed Empress Safira Valtris.
What ensues is a fun episode in which Valtris takes Peri as hostage as part of escape plan and the use of holograms complicates the Doctor's hopes of rescuing Peri.
It was funny when Peri lied to Valtris that the Doctor was terrible at computers and afraid that they would take over the world, the latter sounded very unconvincing.
A very good start to this anthology with Valtris making a very good adversary.

The theme that is used here is the Trial theme which is usually used in stories set after the said Trial.
However with Peri's presence indicates that this is set before the Trial but after season 22.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:10 AM

TV WEEK of November 2-8 2019 has a piece on Years and Years in the lead-up to its Australian TV debut on SBS on Wednesday November 6.

It states Russell T. Davies' past work including Doctor Who.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 AM

The Companion Chronicles: The Story of Extinction:
The Story of Extinction is the second story in The Second Doctor Volume One from the Companion Chronicles.

Written by Ian Atkins. To my surprise when I posted this at Big Finish Audio on facebook that it got liked by Atkins himself!

Featuring Jamie and Victoria with a cameo by a non-speaking Seventh Doctor.

Sadly this would be Debbie Watling's swansong as Victoria before her death on July 21 2017.

After Victoria misses a brush with the Seventh Doctor, it triggers a memory when she, her Doctor and Jamie were on the planet Amyryndaa.

Fascinating this is ultimately about the power of stories.

Quite neat that this is bridged by Jamie learning how to read and how it factor into the conclusion.

A lovely swansong for Debbie Watling as Victoria but of course no one could have foreseen her sad untimely death at the time.
Old 13-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Doctor Who: The Encyclopedia by Gary Russell has an entry on Marilyn Monroe in A Christmas Carol and says that she was played by Charlotte Howard.
However Marilyn wasn’t seen in A Christmas Carol itself.

Come to think of it I am pretty sure Marilyn’s voice (presumably Howard’s) was heard calling the Doctor as they were about to get married.

Howard however wasn’t credited in A Christmas Carol.
Old 14-11-2019, 05:38 PM

The Eighth Doctor: The Time War 1: The Starship of Theseus:
The Starship of Theseus is the opener of The Eighth Doctor: The Time War 1.
Funny coincidence is that I listened to this for the second time on Eighth Doctor Paul McGann's birthday on November 14 2019.
The Eighth Doctor: The Time War is the prequel to The War Doctor series which came about when Big Finish decided to present a different angle to the Time War as the War Doctor series had ended due to the death of War Doctor John Hurt.
The Starship of Theseus introduced new companion Bliss played by Rakhee Thakrar.
I wonder if casting Thakrar as the companion was influenced by her being rumoured in the press as Jenna Coleman's replacement as the companion in the TV series alongside Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi in the TV series before it was ultimately revealed to be instead Pearl Mackie playing Bill Potts.
Bliss comes in late as the Doctor comes in with the companion named Sheena.
There is a deliberate confusion about Sheena which got started by what it says in the story description.
The said starship is a luxury cruise liner. This episode is similar to Terror of the Vervoids which also had a starship luxury cruise liner and that too introduced new companion in Mel.
Like Mel, Sheena came in with no explanation of how she came to travel with the Doctor.
The Starship of Theseus is a fascinating opener to The Eighth Doctor: The Time War and how it relates to the said starship and meeting Bliss along the way and coming across certain foes of the Doctor and culminating with that cliffhanger.
Old 16-11-2019, 12:18 AM

Dark Eyes 4: Eye of Darkness:
Finale.
Guest stars Paul McGann's ex-girlfriend Susannah Harker and they previously worked together for the Big Finish version of Shada.
Written by Matt Fitton.
This features the Eye of Orion and unlike its brief appearance in The Five Doctors, it takes on centre stage here as it is presented here as a resting retreat and not all is well when it is invaded by Daleks.
This episode features the return of Markus Schriver from Masterplan.
Quite good use of menaces that is the Daleks and Schriver here.
Very enjoyable way to end the saga that is Dark Eyes and also very sad how it came about it.
Old 16-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Death and the Queen:
Death and the Queen is the final episode of The Tenth Doctor Adventures Volume One from Big Finish.
Featuring Donna.
Written by James Goss.
This has Donna meeting and falling in love with a prince of a kingdom that the Doctor has never heard of in spite of his claim that he has been eveywhere.
Playing the prince Rudolf's mother the Queen Mum is Alice Krige. This casting must be some sort of amusement from Big Finish as Krige had played a different kind of queen that of the Borg Queen in Star Trek.
As the Queen Mum, Krige made for a good sparring partner to Catherine Tate's Donna Noble and it was amusing that at one point Donna called the Queen Mum, her Mummajesty!
Coincidentally I am also listening to Krige in UNIT: Shutdown.
Also in the cast is Beth Chalmers as Hortense who is like a companion here as the Doctor pointed out.
No doubt Goss wrote Hortense that way for Chalmers to play as she had for a brief time played Seventh Doctor companion Raine Creevey but Big Finish is not able to use this character since due to certain issues.
The Doctor mentioned Blackpool. No doubt an in-joke of David Tennant being in the Blackpool TV series.
Among the menace here is that of a skeleton army. Coincidentally I started an animated series called Skeleton Warriors (1994-95).
Donna makes reference to Skeletor and the Doctor would also make the same reference when referring to the Master in The End of Time, the swansong for both the Tenth Doctor and Donna.
There is a reason why Death is in the episode title, the revelation of which is presented at Donna's wedding to Rudolf although it felt like I seen something similar on-screen.
Death and the Queen is a very superb story with the prospect of Donna becoming a queen, the menaces that are at play and Beth Chalmers very good as the companion-like Hortense.

Incidentally I have seen Catherine Tate as a queen before in Gulliver's Travels (2010).
Old 21-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Doctor Puppet Commentary - Episode 1: The Red X:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imX-b...ture=emb_title
Old 22-11-2019, 08:20 PM

UNIT: Shutdown: Ice Station Alpha:
Finale of Shutdown.
Written by Matt Fitton.
Ice Station Alpha is variation in name of the novel and film Ice Station Zebra.
Saw the said film a long time ago and I virtually forgotten it. Had no idea that I would be reminded about it this way.
Malcolm from Planet of the Dead gets mentioned but no appearance by him.
Pretty good way to end Shutdown with this being set at the Antarctica,
Neat way that Osgood comes up with for her and Josh to get out of their incareration.
Enthralling when the Kamishi Leader turned up.
Quite a trick that Kate played on Sir Peter, all in the name of saving the world.

Recent to this I had listened to Alice Krige (Felicity Lyme) in Doctor Who: Death and the Queen and saw Ingrid Oliver (Osgood) in the movie Last Christmas (2019) which shares the same name with the 2014 Christmas Special which Ingrid wasn't in.
Old 23-11-2019, 12:57 AM

November 23 2019 marks the 56th anniversary of Doctor Who.

Since the previous anniversary came the last three episodes of Jodie Whittaker's debut season as the well as the only episode of 2019, the New Year's Day Special, Resolution.

While there were no other new episodes in 2019, this year however did see the remake of Mission to the Unknown by the students of University of Central Lancashire.

While not exactly Who-related, 2019 also saw the broadcast of Years and Years by former showrunner Russell T. Davies based on an idea he came up for Torchwood: Children of Earth.

Last edited by Matt See; 23-11-2019 at 02:42 AM.