Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Port Moresby

Old 14-11-2002, 01:35 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Miss PNG Red Cross 2002 - Reflections of a dream by Rosemary Robertson

THIS year I would like to use the words Reflections and Dreams to give you some of the images that have shaped this year's Miss PNG Charity Quest.

At the beginning of this year, we as a country faced an Election, an economy that was the worst in years, and an escalat- ing law and order problem.

Our country has had more natural disasters like those in Kimbe, where Red Cross assisted with relief work.

As a member of the worldwide community, we saw images of disaster, and horror overseas that we had not imagined.

We saw terrorist activities that left us in fear of "what next"?

As a committee dedicated to raising money for Red Cross, our task of getting sponsors and entrants was daunting, how could our dreams of getting entrants come true.

Then along came six very dedicated young ladies who, with a breath of fresh air and confidence gave us the hope that youth brings a realisation that the Quest still has a place in PNG. That dreams can become reality.

Then another dream, a new committee, initiated by Post Courier's Bob Howarth and Glenn Armstrong, dedicated to ensuring that the Crowning night is a success. As this "Events" committee progressed
more "dreamers and visionaries" joined, Peter Aitsi and Sharon Onso-Pople.

This group of people also had dreams, and then we were joined by Ramona Elijah from Metals Refining Operations who offered to design new Crowns for the winners of this years Quest, and so a new dream unfolded, partici- pation by one ofPNG's manufacturers.

Don't be fooled though, the amount of work is still far and above what one would normally expect being involved as a volunteer in a committee.

The organising committee too continued co-ordinating the activities with the entrants, and ensuring that the community saw these girls and their activities as worthy representatives of Red Cross in PNG.

Eleanora Sariman, Leanne McMillan, real towers of strength, Alice, Daisy, Marilyn and Clifford, thank you too for your efforts in helping the "Dream" become a reality.

This year we have as entrants in the Quest, six girls who have truthfully and honestly displayed qualities of Red Cross.

In a time when the economy makes it difficult to raise money for charities, these girls have used their initiative, with hard work to raise money to ensure that the work of Red Cross continues in Papua New Guinea.

Without these funds that are raised, projects like the work with Aids, the Hohola special school, disaster relief, training programs for Red Cross workers would not be able to continue.

And to those that have helped this year's entrants raise what we are hoping will be a record amount, thank you for being part of the dream, of making a difference in the lives, of those less fortunate than we are, and I ask you to look back and reflect what you have learnt this year and to congratulate yourselves for a job well done.

I see girls who have "blossomed" from young lasses into mature, sensible, committed young women, who want more for their nation and who are striving to ensure that their dreams come true. It would be remiss of me not to mention the work done by Millie Navaru, PNG Red Cross Publicity and Fundraising Officer, who has successfully kept us all on track, who has ensured that minutes were sent, that we all did our jobs, and has provided a professionalism that must be commended.

I am normally known more for my sense of humor than philosophy, but on reflecting this year and the dawning of a new one I want to share these thoughts. I have my granddaughter living with me at the moment, and I realise that whatever I do will affect her. So I must be mindful that I, and in fact all of us have a responsibility to the next generation, as the words of the song say" Save it for our children" we need to live our lives as if the next day is our first, giving only our best, being more forgiving and understanding.

Let's help our neighbours, be less complaining, and give to a charity, not necessarily money, but time. Enjoy your achievements, and prepare for your children, so that they will not know the horrors we have seen around the world this year. I am so privileged to know all of these people, entrants, Red Cross workers, and Committee members alike, and so I finish these reflections with a wish for you all to dream.

Dream of a future; enjoy the experience of life Dream that everyone will make ripples in their lives. Go stand by the Pool of Life, reflect and throw in a dream, then have that ripple out into the Community, maybe then we will have a World that will be worthy of our Children.

Thank you, Yaku, Mary, Rita, Katherine, Betty and Naomi.

Rosemary Robertson
Chairman Miss PNG Charity Quest Committee 2002

Photograph - Rosemary Robertson and Lady Kidu with the six wonderful entrants in the Miss 2002 PNG Red Cross Contest :

All photographs were taken by George McKie and are the property of The PNG Red Cross Society. Wherever possible I will quote the number in case you would like to order copies.

Number : 915-14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg group-pic-lady-kidu-&-rosem.jpg (36.8 KB, 2348 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 14-11-2002, 01:39 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Judges for this years Miss PNG 2002 Quest were the following people :

William Takaku; Anna Solomon; Sharon Lewis; Judith Day; Wally Schnaubelt; Iri (TPA) & Sir Brian Bell :

Number : 915 - 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg judges.jpg (29.5 KB, 2302 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Mission Statement of the Red Cross Society

As a member of the world-wide RedCross and Red Crescent Movement and as an auxiliary to the Government, the Papua New Guinea Red Cross Society is an independent, nation-wide, community-based humanitarian organisation.

Through ongoing organisational development and capacity building, the organisation provides professional quality service and training through its unique network of branches and volunteers.

Learning from and adapting to the diversity of the Papua New Guinea cualture, by ensuring transparency and accountability, the Papua New Guinea Red Cross Societyis well prepared to take on the challenges of the millennium.

Acknowledgments: Organising Committee:
  • Rosemary Robertson
  • Elenora Sariman
  • Leanne McMillan
  • Daisy Hotsia
  • Alice Turkaul
  • Clifford Inimigba
  • Marilynn Pleintenger

EVENT COMMITTEE
  • Glenn Armstrong
  • Sharon Onsa
  • Peter Aitsi
  • Ira Pangestu
  • Stephen Smith
  • Larence Lahari
  • Ramona Elijah
  • Elwin Agonia

SPONSORS OF THE QUEST
  • Moore Printing
  • PNG Gardener
  • Metals Refining Operations
  • Kokoda Tailoring
  • PNG Post Courier
  • PNG FM
  • EMTV

CONTESTANT SPONSORS
  • Pacific rim Plantations
  • Galley Restaurant
  • PNG Red Cross Society
  • Western Highlands Branch
  • Air Niugini
  • Club Galaxy
  • PNG Red Cross Society
  • NCD/Central Branch

HAIRDRESSER

Trend's Hair and Beauty Salon

SPONSORS EVENINGS
  • Holiday Inn, Waigani
  • Shady Rest Hotel
  • BorokoFoodworld
  • SP Brewery

HOSTS
  • Simon Anakapu
  • Sharon Onsa Pople

INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES
  • Gateway Hotel
  • Rosemary Munaga
  • Airways Hotel
  • Kuam Sanewai
  • Holiday Inn
  • Idau Raho
  • James Jingasibae
  • Pacific Industries
  • John Kupul
  • BorokoFoodworld
  • David Doig
  • Bob O'Dea
  • Richard Dellman
  • PNG Red Cross Mt Hagen Branch
  • Stephen Smith
  • Amber's Inn
  • Anna Ballinger
  • Ponderosa Family Hotel
  • Anna Awasa
  • Bob Martin
  • Noel Pascoe
  • Ira Pangestu
  • Eva Arni
  • Gima Kila
  • Roberta Ali
  • Lawrence Lahari
  • Mary Elisha
  • Dawa Lavert
  • Beatrice Mahuru
  • Shady Rest Hotel
  • Graham Osborne
  • Henry Lo
  • Kila Jack
  • Molly Gaso
  • Leila Langer
  • Theresa Vagalia
  • Robert Lamon
  • Bobby Tau

And most of all the families of the Miss PNG Red Cross Charity Quest Organising Committee.

Number 915 - 16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miss-png-group2.jpg (39.4 KB, 2292 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 01:59 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Rosemary Robertson stated that this year they had as entrants in the Quest, 6 girls who truthfully and honestly displayed qualities of the Red Cross.

Number - 915 - 15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miss-png-group1.jpg (40.7 KB, 2241 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:01 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss Traditional was won by Miss Pacific Rim Plantations, Katerine Tabuchi, Aged 25 from the New Ireland Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-pacific-rim-h.jpg (43.4 KB, 2203 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:07 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss Galley Restaurant who took out the overall prize of Miss PNG Red Cross Winner for 2002 seen here in Traditional Dress. Her Name is Yaku Ninich, Aged 23 from the Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-galley-restau.jpg (35.5 KB, 2154 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:09 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss Western Highlands - Naomi Kapal, Aged 22, from the Western Highlands Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-western-highl.jpg (32.7 KB, 2121 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:10 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss Air Niugini - Rita Aisi, aged 21, from Yule Island, Kairuku, Central Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-air-niugini-h.jpg (35.2 KB, 2103 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:11 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss Club Galaxy - Mary Toea, Aged 24 from the Central Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-club-galaxy-h.jpg (35.6 KB, 2075 views)
Old 14-11-2002, 02:12 AM
Pls help me to help PNG

Miss NCD Central - Betty Gali, aged 25 from the Morobe Province :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postcard-miss-ncd-central-h.jpg (44.9 KB, 2017 views)