Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 18-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Maz is on a distinguished road
Jaycee, thought you may have lived in Lae as I recall Deb Hastings mentioning you (she is now here in Brisbane). I was trying to think of the name of that place where Robert Chee used to play, of course, the TABU, went there quite a few times, remember Willy Love, Robert Chee, Jack Clunne playing at the Chinese Club also, mainly on school holidays when all the kids were up from DOWN SOUTH. Recently went to a Lae and Morobe Province reunion held here in Brisbane, it was HUGE, lots of old faces from Lae High, instead of snacks being put on the tables, there they were as large as life, SALTY PLUMS AND dried ginger, had a good laugh at that one. Do you remember Terry Saleh from Moresby? Cheers, Maz
Old 18-09-2007, 08:02 PM

margaretdb is on a distinguished road
Moresby in the late 60's and the 70's

Glenda - you have brought back some memories for me

Dr jacobi's Surgery - mmm, I remember that

Koitaki.... We lived in Sogeri for a year or so (my Dad was in charge of the polcie station in Sogeri for a year or so)

Here are a few photos of the Koitaki Country Club (One is with our friends Jo and Mandy in the pool at Koitaki Country club, 2 of the others are the ladies and gentlement of the Sogeri Lions Clb when they raised the money to buy an ambulance for Sogeri)

I remember the Saturday matinees in Boroko pictures, Pinocchio's cafe was a cool place to hang out. Loved salty plumbs, still do.
The show was always great fun and so cheap arm loads of show bags that were really real. Shopping at steamies and BP. (I rememberall of these)

Going to the swap shop with my magazines and books once a week. I loved reading. (I was just telling someone about this the other day. I was a fan of "June and School friends" picture novels)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Gunea (10).JPG (15.1 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg New Gunea (24).JPG (20.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg New Gunea (27).JPG (19.3 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg New Gunea (54).JPG (30.0 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Scan10308 (Small).JPG (30.4 KB, 306 views)
Old 18-09-2007, 08:30 PM

meg is on a distinguished road
Hey Glenda,
you must have been a couple of years ahead of me, I remember Dr Jacobi's - you would have been really central living there. You brought back some memories though about the the suicide. If my memory is correct, it was one of the Bostock girls. She was older than me, but I knew them, not very well, through other people. It was the first time I'd heard of anyone killing themselves and it really made an impression - still sad after all these years.
Did Bruce Sparks have a younger brother - this is a laugh, but my first kiss was at a party at the Hardacres near Coronation Primary A while playing spin the bottle and it was from a boy called Sparks but I can't remember his first name - obviously left an impression. I live down south of Brisbane now and I go to Sunnybank regularly to buy my salty plums and red ginger. Was it you who was talking about someone seeing a UFO while drunk? A friend of mine at primary and high school has an older brother who did all his schooling in Moresby and he is now something of ane expert in UFO stuff, John Auchettl. It's good to talk about the old stuff, I still miss it and Moresby.
Megan
Old 18-09-2007, 10:27 PM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretdb
Glenda - you have brought back some memories for me

Here are a few photos of the Koitaki Country Club (One is with our friends Jo and Mandy in the pool at Koitaki Country club, 2 of the others are the ladies and gentlement of the Sogeri Lions Clb when they raised the money to buy an ambulance for Sogeri)

Hi Margaret,
These photos did bring back memories, the lady in the centre is Dot Bell, her husband is Colin. I know the other ladies but can't remember names. The man sitting at the front edge of the truck pic is Alec or Mac, we used to stay with him sometimes. And I must know you too, I am sure I know the faces, what were your parent's names? The name Mulhern was mentioned to me by Alan Stucky who was also in the police service up there.
I have just spoken to both Alan and Annette Stucky, I actually went to their wedding when I was about 13. They live in NSW now
Thanks so much for posting these pictures!

I only have a couple of pictures, one in a gymkhana at Koitaki and one when I went to see Little Patty at the four mile club, Tony Hearn and his wife Sally were there too. I will dig them out and scan them in.
I remember Butch Lukin breaking his arm (I think it was an arm) when he was drunk and went to dive into the pool, but actually dived into the kids pool.
Do you rememeber them playing Polo cross at Koitaki, Freddy Klekham was really into it and is now in Fiji, he is still involved in Polo in Fiji, or was a few years back.

I used to read Princess Tina magazines and remember writing to them in the UK to become a member.

I am so excited about finding this forum!

Last edited by Glenda; 19-09-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 18-09-2007, 10:43 PM

Glenda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg
Hey Glenda,
you must have been a couple of years ahead of me, I remember Dr Jacobi's - you would have been really central living there. You brought back some memories though about the the suicide. If my memory is correct, it was one of the Bostock girls. She was older than me, but I knew them, not very well, through other people. It was the first time I'd heard of anyone killing themselves and it really made an impression - still sad after all these years.
Did Bruce Sparks have a younger brother - this is a laugh, but my first kiss was at a party at the Hardacres near Coronation Primary A while playing spin the bottle and it was from a boy called Sparks but I can't remember his first name - obviously left an impression. I live down south of Brisbane now and I go to Sunnybank regularly to buy my salty plums and red ginger. Was it you who was talking about someone seeing a UFO while drunk? A friend of mine at primary and high school has an older brother who did all his schooling in Moresby and he is now something of ane expert in UFO stuff, John Auchettl. It's good to talk about the old stuff, I still miss it and Moresby.
Megan
Hi Meg,
You are right it was one of the Bostock girls, very sad.
Jaycee mentioned Bruce Sparks, and I do know the name but I just can't place him.
I don't rememebr the name John Auchettl, but I seem to hacve forgotton many names.
I can also remember my first kiss being at a party with spin the bottle, it was so very daring back then!
When I go into Brisbane I buy salty plums, usually at China town, it's certainly an aquired taste, most people think I am nuts to like them.

It was very central living in Tabari Place, but not really a great life style as a kid, there was no where to play, one day Jan Keen came over and left her bike at the bottom of the stairs leaning up against Dr Jacobie's surgery the Bike well and truly had gone when we came down stairs.

There seems to be a lot of us in Brisbane, I did go to a reunion in Melbourne in the late 70's but there wasn't a lot there. I am in the Upper Brisbane Valley which is about 90 minutes from Brisbane. My husband was asking me if I wanted to have a holiday in Moresby and I am now thinking about it, it would be great to see what it is like now.

It's great to talk to people who had the same experiences, it was certainly a different lifestyle.
Old 19-09-2007, 09:13 PM

Hey Glenda,
not sure about John but the other Auchettl kids went to Coronation Primary A. I remember John played drums in a band called the 'something Custards' so to a 12-13 year old he was pretty cool. Couple of good friends went to Boroko East though, Debbie Brooks was probably in your year and Melody Musicka would have been in the year after you. Was the swap shop that you went to the one at Taurama? My mum and I actually met up with the lady who used to run that shop around the end of the '70's in Sydney. There does seem to be a lot of expats in Brisbane. A friend went to a reunion up here probably about 10 or more years ago now and she said there were heaps of people there - maybe we're all gravitating back slowly. I would love to go back, I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed though, but I think I'll do it one just for the hell of it. I never fitted back in well either, but I'm kind of cool about being different now - just pass it off as eccentricity now I'm hitting the big half century soon.
Cheers,
Megan
PS. Remembered the band's name - it was the 'Copper Custards'

Last edited by meg; 19-09-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 19-09-2007, 09:32 PM

margaretdb is on a distinguished road
What great memories

Is anyone interested in starting a private yahoo or google group so that we can all share our photos or memories of Moresby ?

I am happy to do set it up.

It would just be a place to swap stories, save photos so we can share them and bring each other up to speed on what memories we have of people.

We could call the site "ellabeach" or "4mile" or "boroko" or anything that brings back a memory.

Let me know what everyone thinks of the idea.

Margaret
Old 19-09-2007, 09:33 PM

I really have to go through all of my Dad's photo's. He was a mad photographer and I've got boxes of slides and photos. Dad passed away late last year, but he worked for TAA and then Air Niugini so most of the photos and stuff relate to TAA or other airline or DCA staff. Did anyone else go to the TAA Mess at Gordons? My Mum and Dad were both in the darts team and Mum was the Ladies Darts Champion of Moresby in 1972 - whoo! what a claim to fame.
Megan

Last edited by meg; 19-09-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 19-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Hey Margaret,
I think it's a great idea - will give me incentive to hunt out the photos and slides
Megan
Old 19-09-2007, 10:10 PM

jaycee is on a distinguished road
Smile

i do remember ann and kim mulcay , ann was in some of my class ,bruce spark use to go out with kim back then .they were there till end of form 4.cant recall titch nor uki. mrs griffith was my scicence teacher and she had a phyton in the scicence lab.i m sitting here trying to write this and can see all this faces but cant put names ,how frustrating is that . ithink i know who you are. do you know royan he was the shortest boy in class,we where in the same english. mrs davis was our english teacher. she had anervous break down,poor thing she couldnt handle the stress.do you know gary. cant remember his name, yes its all comming back to me now. joan. sharon and glenda .cheers Yes it was Sharon Boyce, when I went down south to school we lost touch and I will be forever sad about that. I stayed at Joans a lot, her Mum was the dressmaker at Lexie's dress shop, it had all the really cool stuff.
My Dad used to do the movies at the 4 mile. The name Bruce Spark really rings a bell, and I wish I could remember but it will come to me though, lots of stuff is coming back reading this forum. I left in 72 to go to south to school.
Do you remember Anne Mulcay? I met up with her Brother on a bus one day and it turned out that she lived around the corner from me. We stayed in touch till we were in out mid 20's. Her Sister Kim was older and well known at POM.
Do you remember a boy we used to call titch, everyone really liked him. I can remember him getting really drunk at one of the school dances and we were all trying to sober him up.
I'm pretty sure I was in form 1 in 1970. I can remember that year one of the girls commited suicide, that had a huge impact on the whole school.
Form one math teacher used to comb his hair a lot and I did get kicked out of his class a couple of times because I had a pretty bad attitude at times.
I remember one of the boys in form 1, his Mother died and I often thought how dificult that must have been for him.
Mrs Herd was the home ec teacher, I really enjoyed that class. There was also a new teacher who drove a pale blue ford capri, can't remember what he taught though.
I can remember a boy called Uki who was often at the 4 mile, he had a dragster bike.
Do you remember the fish and chips at the place out on the road to the drive in, the guy who owned it drove a green sports car.
There are so many memories, and I wish I had some school photos so I could place people.
cheers, Glenda[/quote]