Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:52 PM

rmccaskie is on a distinguished road
Memories of PNG.

Hi everyone. Wow! I've just come across this site and it sure has bought back some memories.

I was a child in Moresby from the age of 3 to 10 years old. Arrived in '66 and left in '74. Went to St Josephs and lived on Paga hill.

My father worked for the public works department and supervised the building of the Sogari high school.

I remember the Ela beach RSL and the outdoor movies on a friday night, playing on the beach with my brother and the little pontoon they had floating on the water outside the RSL.

I remember the smell of the beach at low tide and walking out on the reef to look for sea-urchins.

I remember salty-plums and dried ginger, fireworks and koki market.

I remember the catolina, as well as the wrecked planes and bunkers at the airport.

I remember driving up the mountains to hom-broms bluff ??? and the water falls falling onto the road.

I remember the house boys and pidgeon english, and the smell of food being cooked on kerosine fires, beetle nut and red teeth.

I remember the expeditions to find WWII guns and the competitions with my school friends as to who had the most.

I remember playing marbles in the school grounds and after school day-care, green tree frog, papuan black snakes and so many butterflies.

I miss it.

Robert McCaskie
Old 07-07-2006, 02:01 PM

Kathy Crossley is on a distinguished road
Hi, does anyone remember the Moresby kindergarten/preschool that was on Ela Beach Rd? I was there in the late 50s and left Moresby in 1963. Have always wondered what happened to the kindergarten.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:03 PM

Kathy Crossley is on a distinguished road
50s to early 60s

Hi, I was in Moresby a bit earlier than late 60s/early 70s but still have lots of the same memories. I was there from birth to age 10, 1953-1963. Went to St Josephs and lived on Davara Rd. My father was a builder with John Stubbs & Sons. I remember the milk bar in town and the baby crocodile that was kept as a pet in a cage at the back of the milk bar. I remember going to the wharf with my father to buy fresh lobster for two shillings. I remember the smell from Koki village and the 'floaties' that found their way to Ela Beach. I remember walking on the reef, finding sea urchins, crabs, star fish and 'sea sausages'. I remember Friday night fish and chips on Ela Beach. I remember the drive in and free goodies on your birthday. I remember the Saturday matinees at the picture threatre at Boroko. I remember seeing 'Tonka', 'Hand in Hand', and 'Guns of Navarone'. I remember Sundays at the yacht club with my father and Santa arriving by helicopter at the yacht club. I remember getting lots of sunburns. My name was Kathy Bishop.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 AM

RMCR is on a distinguished road
Hi, I just came across this forum and read it with great interest. My family was in PNG until 1974. I went to St Joseph's, and lived in Minihi Avenue, Boroko. I remember:

- buying coloured chicks at the show (purple, blue, pink)
- the drive-in... my Dad driving over the humps to get a spot and hooking the speakers onto the side of the car. Making the walk to the snack bar and special attention at birthdays.
- the cinema
- learning to swim at the olympic pool
- going to the riding school with my sisters and watching gymkana.. finding WWII helmets and bullets in the long grass. The family who drove their shetland pony to the club in the back of a mercedes with the seat removed.
- Mum taking us and the houseboy out of town to cut long grass for the horses.
- Dad volunteering to help burn a dead horse that had been speared by the locals.
- Going to (what I think was) the race track in the evening and playing red rover with the other kids, then going inside to watch a movie.
- Being allowed to stay up late to listen to the radio with Mum and Dad if we had a sleep during the day.
- taking a drive into the hills (Segari(?))
- standing on a sea urchin at Ela Beach and finding shells on Shelly Beach
- playing soccer in the St Joseph's under 8s and being thrashed by the kids from the army barricks.
- Mum driving us through riots around Koki Markets and telling us to get down on the floor of the car.
- the one set of traffic lights in town.
- Dad taking us to Parliament house
- Dad returning from overnight fishing trips and sorting the fish on the front lawn with his fellow fishermen.
- returning from Christmas in Brisbane to find out house had been burgled (twice)
- playing marbles in the dusty school playground
... and lots more

Cheers
Old 24-12-2006, 01:11 AM

jhinds57 is on a distinguished road
Wow..funny u should mention playing soccer for St Josephs under 8's..just so happens that I was one of the kids from the army barracks, my father Jim Hampton coached us..and yes I can truly relate to most of the things you have mentioned missing bout Port Moresby..never forget the pontoon out by ela beach RSL..you weren't a real kid unless you swam out and back again..and the undescribable smell on low tide from the village beside Koki market..and I wil never forget those great big smiling faces of the locals...after they have had there share of beetlenut..beautiful red teeth..and the mary's..child breastfeeding on one breast..and a piglet on the other..But we could never forget the soccer grounds we played on back then...it was a good day if there was a little bit off grass on some of the grounds..lol..cheers John Hinds jhinds57@hotmail.com
Old 10-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Spook is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yes I remember the little twin hulled boat(Pontoon) moored off the Ela beach RSL. All the kids used to swim over the seaweed just off shore to get to it. and sit out there for hours. It was always packed with kids. salty plums,Being able to buy fire crackers all year round from the chinese shops in Boroko. The Wards drive in where every one used to sit out the front of their car with an esky on Satuday night. Also the friday night movies at the Murray Barracks Seargent Mess. The Sing Sings at the old show grounds. And does any body remember the stock car races out near the show grounds on the way to wards Strip.

Last edited by Spook; 10-07-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 PM

robyn is on a distinguished road
I grew up in Port Moresby - 1956 to 1968 - great memories. We lived at Ilamo Ave & Minihi Ave Boroko. Attended Boroko East Primary & Port Moresby High. I remember the fog truck that drove up the the circular drive of the primary school & all the kids would run through the white fog. School of the air, broadcast into the school rooms. Salty plums & red ginger. Swimming at Murray Barracks pool & Bomana pool. Being stung by jellyfish at Ela Beach. Judo classes & ballet classes. The drive-in, Boroko picture theatre. The PM Gun Club that my father & brothers were members of. The Red Cross, sunday school & Girls Life Brigade.
Robyn
Old 13-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Hi Robyn,
I lived there in 1971-72 in Murray Barracks, grade 5-6. My parents were also members of the PM gun club but it seems you left before we got there. Do you remember the Cooks and the MacDonalds. They were all members of the Small Bore club there that my Parents joined when we got there in 71.
Old 13-07-2007, 10:15 PM

robyn is on a distinguished road
Hi Spook,
I remember the McCartney's, the O'Brien's & the Rudge's from the PM Gun Club - as in the clay target shooting gun club.
Does anyone else remember driving (the whole family) to the native villages in the old jeep & all the children would come out to meet the jeep, asking to "throw penny", into the water & they would dive off wooden stumps & come out of the water with the coins they had retrieved.

Old 14-07-2007, 01:03 PM

Talking

Alas no Robyn, Mum and Dad were only members of the Small Bore club next to the clay target range. But I remember going down into the scrub on the clay target range to collect the unbroken clay discs, when the range wasn't being used. I'll throw those names at the old man the next time I see him, and see if he knows the names. Even though we wern't there at the same time it is still good to talk to someone who has been to the same places I have, brings back so many memories.