Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2004, 08:41 AM
wendyemc wendyemc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 250
wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Lae map '60's to '70's (courtesy of "A Walk Down Memory Lane" by Scott Martin

I've been mucking around with the map from Scott's booklet trying to bring up the detail (how about making that thread a Sticky, moderators - it's a great source of information). Have pieced together a lot of the street names from my 1966 PNG phone book, Scott's booklet and clues from posts on these pages, but may have got some details wrong, and some are still missing. Keeoping in mind that this map is Lae as it was then, can anyone help me fill in the missing details - i.e. the street names at the top which are (almost) but not quite clear enough for me to be sure what they are, also the streets at the back of Lae airport and any others I've missed. Some street names I got from my phone book and haven't been able to place:

Vee Street
Drayton Street
Ferguson Street
Palm Street
Rifle Range Road
Emery road
18th Street
22nd Street
24th Street
(these last three may have been renamed with something more imaginative by the time of Scott's booklet, which was printed after the disappearance of the Tanyo Maru wreck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laemap3.jpg (92.5 KB, 1849 views)
__________________
Wendy Clarke (formerly Wendy Phillips)
Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
  #2  
Old 12-10-2004, 08:46 AM
wendyemc wendyemc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 250
wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Lae map

some of the detail isn't as clear as on my map now that it's been downsized. If anyone wants a clearer copy, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Cheers, Wendy.
__________________
Wendy Clarke (formerly Wendy Phillips)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Chris Byrne Chris Byrne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 23
Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Palm Road

I lived on Palm ROAD (not Street) from about 1956 through 1970. It runs between Bumbu Road and Hibiscus Avenue (just under the middle "B" in Bumbu on the map). There were only a few houses on Palm Road - three on our side of the road and five on the opposite side. The neighbours I remember include George and Ellen Etchells (daughter Patricia), the Bottrells (they had a couple of sons, I think), Brian and Maureen Wallis (daughter Marie). I think we must have been the longest-standing residents of the street - we were the first occupants in the house, which was the corner block.

Our next-door neighbours on Bumbu Road were Bertie and Lilian Heath. Bertie is famous as a pioneer pilot in PNG. On the far side of the Heaths' place lived Dr Becker and his wife Sue. Many of my generation learned to swim from Sue, in the Hotel Cecil Pool. Sue subsequently became a personality on Sydney TV for a period.

Just a few reminiscences. Enough already, otherwise I'll be at it all night!


Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
I've been mucking around with the map from Scott's booklet trying to bring up the detail (how about making that thread a Sticky, moderators - it's a great source of information). Have pieced together a lot of the street names from my 1966 PNG phone book, Scott's booklet and clues from posts on these pages, but may have got some details wrong, and some are still missing. Keeoping in mind that this map is Lae as it was then, can anyone help me fill in the missing details - i.e. the street names at the top which are (almost) but not quite clear enough for me to be sure what they are, also the streets at the back of Lae airport and any others I've missed. Some street names I got from my phone book and haven't been able to place:

Vee Street
Drayton Street
Ferguson Street
Palm Street
Rifle Range Road
Emery road
18th Street
22nd Street
24th Street
(these last three may have been renamed with something more imaginative by the time of Scott's booklet, which was printed after the disappearance of the Tanyo Maru wreck.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Chris Byrne Chris Byrne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 23
Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Another (personal) observation arising from the map: Does anyone remember that originally Markham Road was not broken at Milford Haven Road? It actually ran between the cemetery and the old airstrip, and intersected cleanly at Milford Haven Road. There was a roundabout at the intersection. I can't remember when it was re-routed so that the cemetery was located inside the airport grounds. Only reason I'm conscious of this useless bit of information is that my father is buried in the cemetery...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13-10-2004, 08:04 AM
wendyemc wendyemc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 250
wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Thanks Chris. I've marked in Palm Road (Not Street:-), and yes, I do remember Markham road going straight through. I also remember Patricia Etchells (have a feeling she was around my age, maybe even in my class through primary school) and the Bottrells, and, of course, Sue Becker and those extraordinary vowel sounds.
__________________
Wendy Clarke (formerly Wendy Phillips)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13-10-2004, 08:15 AM
wendyemc wendyemc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 250
wendyemc is on a distinguished road
PS. Have been talking online with Deirdre Inskter (formerly Whitton of Whitton's in 7th Street) this week; she knew the Emery family very well and was a friend of Mark's (or Marcus, as she called him), and Denis crowley. According to her, Eileen Emery did run the Salad Bowl, in which case it would have been she who refused to take payment for any fruit and vegetables Mum needed when Mum took in the Lumme kids while their mother, Hope, was in hospital.
__________________
Wendy Clarke (formerly Wendy Phillips)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Chris Byrne Chris Byrne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 23
Chris Byrne is on a distinguished road
Hi Wendy.

Patricial Etchells was a couple of years older than me, so she was probably your age.

One of the Bottrell boys' name was Kevin - I think he was my age.

I think Diedre Whitton had a brother Eric (same name as her father). Funny how the little things stick in one's mind. We didn't often shop at the Whittons' shop, but I do remember buying "Have-a-Heart" ice creams there once, when I was quite small.

Back to that "street party", 1965 seems about the right year. In my memory it was a once-only event.

Cheers,
Chris
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-10-2004, 08:27 AM
wendyemc wendyemc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 250
wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Byrne
...Patricial Etchells was a couple of years older than me, so she was probably your age... Back to that "street party", 1965 seems about the right year. In my memory it was a once-only event...
I'm not sure if it was Patricia Etchells, but the following story concerns a girl named Patricia. When we arrived in Lae from Wau early in 1954, Mum enrolled me in kindergarten at Coronation primary, and was told the native bus driver would drop me off right outside our house after school. When I didn't turn up mum was in a panic. As for me, I was at Patricia's house, where her mother, realizing my mum would be climbing the walls, was trying to find out my address, which I didnt know - we'd only been there two days and I wasn't quite five years old. Patricia and I had developed an instant rapport at school, though, and when she asked me to come play at her house it sounded like a wonderful idea to me so I got off the bus with her. Her mum rang the police, which my mother already had, and I was soon restored into the arms of a very relieved and angry mother, who said afterwards she didn't know whether to kiss me or smack me :-)

Thanks for your help with the map - I have all the streets marked in now bar one, which doesn't exist on the later map you put me on to. Yes, I think 1965 is right for the mardigras, and yes, it was only a one-off event.

Cheers, Wendy
__________________
Wendy Clarke (formerly Wendy Phillips)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14-08-2005, 05:28 PM
KimbaLuna KimbaLuna is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mosman, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
KimbaLuna is on a distinguished road
Wendy, I would love a copy. My e-mail address is kimbaluna@optusnet.com.au thanks heaps, heidi :0)



Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyemc
some of the detail isn't as clear as on my map now that it's been downsized. If anyone wants a clearer copy, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Cheers, Wendy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14-08-2005, 06:12 PM
KimbaLuna KimbaLuna is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mosman, NSW, Australia
Posts: 8
KimbaLuna is on a distinguished road
Names I remember

WoW, when reading this post my eyes lit up when I saw names like the Etchells and the Bottrells. I cannot say I remember associating with any of the children, but I remember my father had dealings with them. Although my folks were very close through business dealings with Bertie Heath.

Oh yes, swimming at the Hotel Cecil pool. My father used to be in the water and my mother used to throw me in to the water. I was only 18 months old when I first learnt to "dog paddle" *chuckles*

I agree with you when you say "Enough already, otherwise I'll be at it all night!" One could go on and on ... it certainly was a great place to grow up and for that I am very fortunate! Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Byrne
I lived on Palm ROAD (not Street) from about 1956 through 1970. It runs between Bumbu Road and Hibiscus Avenue (just under the middle "B" in Bumbu on the map). There were only a few houses on Palm Road - three on our side of the road and five on the opposite side. The neighbours I remember include George and Ellen Etchells (daughter Patricia), the Bottrells (they had a couple of sons, I think), Brian and Maureen Wallis (daughter Marie). I think we must have been the longest-standing residents of the street - we were the first occupants in the house, which was the corner block.

Our next-door neighbours on Bumbu Road were Bertie and Lilian Heath. Bertie is famous as a pioneer pilot in PNG. On the far side of the Heaths' place lived Dr Becker and his wife Sue. Many of my generation learned to swim from Sue, in the Hotel Cecil Pool. Sue subsequently became a personality on Sydney TV for a period.

Just a few reminiscences. Enough already, otherwise I'll be at it all night!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lae Memories - Blast from the past - story by Scott Martin & Malum Nalu ! aussie Lae 32 24-04-2006 02:34 PM
A walk down memory lane with Scott Martin aussie Lae 30 04-02-2006 04:09 PM
Lae rugby league - a funny story (photo courtesy of Scott Martin) wendyemc Lae 0 03-08-2003 08:13 AM
Walk Down Memory Lane - Lae circa 1960's - courtesy of Scott Martin aussie Site News 0 22-01-2003 01:45 AM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright© 2000-2015 Matryx Limited.
Hosted by Quadra Hosting