Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Living in Papua New Guinea > Lae

Old 23-05-2005, 09:42 PM

gv1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv1
Found this forum by chance
I am Graeme Vinning, brother to Grant, Philippa and Peta
I am Contracts Manager for a construction company in Canberra, Grant is a contracted economic advisor to the Asian development Bank in India and Bhutan based in Geneva, Philippa and her husband Harold Dodds own the Bredbo Pancake Parlour (near Cooma) and Peta is a manager with Skilled Engineering in Brisbane
I read the Post Courier on the web each day and reflect on the good times growing up in Lae with Ian, Lesley, Brian and others who have posted and I would like to keep in contact.
We must be all in our late 50s!!

Cheers
Graeme
I gave the wrong info on Peta, she does not work for Skilled Engineering and never has.
Cheers

Graeme
Old 01-06-2005, 04:21 PM

Margaret Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Hi Laeites

I think this is what I'm supposed to do. Lesley has been trying to get me to reply for a couple of months. I have just been called back to work and this computer is much better thank mine. It's been good to know that many of those I remember are still around and know someone who knows someone so the communication thread is kept open. Maybe we can get together sometime. Cheers to all who remember and read this. Marg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZAV
Hi all, my name is Brian Zavattaro. I have just got onto this site, very interesting. Two sisters Karen and Chris. Born at Lae Hospital 1947, Lived at the Watut for my first 5 years. Family were gold miners. Moved to Lae in 1952 had to start school, but could'nt speak english.I remember a very nasty headmaster, one, Mr Breakspear, I think. A most painfull man to remember, if you know what I mean.I went down to school in Brisbane in 56 or 57.Left school in 62 and started apprenticeship with CDW 64 to 66.Left for good, came back to CDW as 5th year appretice and left again 69.Have heaps of great memories and some bad ones. If it was'nt for the political climate and lawlessness I would have moved back up there with my wife and children. Have caught up with quite a few old friends over the last few years. Les Jackson who has just had operation for cancer. Ian Hendrick just retired from the air wing of the army. Greg Schmidt just retired as pilot Sandra his sister who every male in Lae dreamed to have as his girlfried. The list goes on. I now live in Toowoomba QLD if anyone wants to get in touch with me. Kind Regards to all Brian.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM

Hi, Larian, I have a friend living in Melaney - Belinda, and her mum Kath, has just moved to the next town. Too funny if you know them. What is your maiden name? Do you remember Me? or Lesley or Jan Horlock
Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Hi Margaret,

What is Belinda and kaths last name? Is it Kath who has moved to the next town? is it mapleton or Connondale. My maiden name was Rutland, I left Lae in beginning on 1970 when i was 16 and went and lived in Moresby, I married Stuart Honey from Lae. Your name sounds familiar but don't know what u look like ....too long ago dont know if u were older or younger
Old 24-07-2005, 10:27 AM

wendyemc is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

have been away for a while, then had computer problems when I got back, so have been out of touch. had a phone call from Philippa a week or so ago, Graeme - a wonderful surprise! (I've corrected the spelling of your Christian names on my student list, BTW :-). Peta was a year ahead of my sister Diane; they both used to have afternoon tea with Horrie Niall at the district Commissioner's office when they were at Primary School - he'd taken a fancy to them, I remember - in Diane's case after he pulled up beside her one day to tell her she shouldn't be walking through puddles in her school shoes; she'd ruin them. She very cheekily replied that her mother paid for her shoes, not him, a story he told all over town (the only way we got to hear about it - Diane wasn't about to admit to it!). She and her husband Malcolm have recently moved north from Sydney - are now living on Bribie Island. She is, unfortunately not in a position to communicate with old friends; she suffered brain damage and is in a wheelchair after being struck down with a cerebral aneurism in 1999, but remembers her time in Lae and her old friends, can still sing up a storm along with all the old rock and roll records, and is as cheeky as ever. I plan to be at the next Gold Coast PNG reunion in June 2006, and will see if I can get her to come along too. My sister, Leonie (or Leone as she likes it to be spelled) still lives in Sydney, for anyone who remembers her. Larian sent me a class photo for my site that has Peta in it, BTW. (Thanks again, Larian!)

I also heard from Dianne Ramsay a couple of weeks ago - another phone call out of the blue. She and her husband are now retired and doing a lot of travelling, but we plan to catch up in September. She and her brother Peter are in a photo Lesley sent me that I have posted on my site; we have Graham Campbell to thank for identifying most of the faces, though of course I recognized me :-).

Brian, could you let me have your new contact details? I have posted some wonderful photos Christine sent me to the site; am in the process of compiling a photo gallery of "other people's" PNG photos similar to my own gallery of PNG slides that includes some Phillips family photos (unfortunately most of them were lost by Otto Brabant when Mum put in a whole heap to be copied), and the slides my husband, Bob, took in his three years in PNG.

Good to see your name here, too, Margaret. We WILL all have to get together some time. As most of you know, I am trying to compile a written/pictorial record of our time in Lae - what it was like to grow up there from the 50's to Independence. Genevieve Breene, and ex-classmate of mine, has written a book on the subject, but it isn't Lae specific - I want to collect as many names, photos and reminiscences both inside and outside school as I can. If you think my project worthwhile, please pass the word along, and keep those stories and photos coming. My email address is:
wendyemc@optusnet.com.au
and the Lae schools web site is at
http://www.wendyclarke.com/Coronatio...ges/index.html

Cheers,
Old 17-08-2005, 05:47 PM

Wendy Seymour is on a distinguished road
Calling all Lae wantok mobs especially white fella ones. Howdy folks I am Wendy Seymour from Lae, Morobe Province. I am currently a full time student in the Tourism industry here in Darwin at the Charles Darwin University. One of my reports will be on Papua New Guinea. I am in the middle of collating photos on the different faces of PNG. One of the photos I want to put in is a picture of a white Papua New Guinean child born in PNG of course. Do any of you have a spare pic that you don't mind me using please? I can send a copy of the Power Point presentation once I have finished with it so you can see that it hasn't been misused. My statement in this matter is you don't have to be black to be born in PNG.

Yupela save or?

Looking forward to your reply and when I get a current photo of myself I'll post it on this site (yikes!)

Wendy
Old 23-08-2005, 11:09 AM

I'll see what I can find for you Wendy.
Regards,
Margaret Bishop
Old 24-08-2005, 02:47 PM

Wendy Seymour is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Ref your last

Thanks Margaret,

Very much appreciated I already have a white baby boy photo sent to me from Croc. Any more photos would be appreciated I was wondering if you have ones from 'Taim Bipo' like really, really old ones from the Gold rush days in Wau or maybe before? Anything of interest would be appreciated. In return you or whomever concerned will get a copy of the powerpoint presentation I am doing. I hope to do the report in a months time at the moment I am gathering all the information to collate it (YIKES! This going back to school business.

Cheers

Wens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Bishop
I'll see what I can find for you Wendy.
Regards,
Margaret Bishop
Old 14-10-2005, 06:27 PM

KJBuchanan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Deleting due to privacy

Last edited by KJBuchanan; 09-11-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 15-10-2005, 11:32 PM

Larian is on a distinguished road
Hi Kylie,

sorri I havnt heard of Jan horlock but then the name rings a bell and I do know a few Jans. She could live at Montville or down the rangs but i could ask around if someone knows of her

Larian