Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 24-04-2011, 03:29 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
From the Doctor Who News Page:
NBC Today presenter Meredith Vieira will have a cameo in an upcoming episode as she visits the set of the show in the UK.
Old 24-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Greatest Moments on ABC1:
The last segment of Greatest Moments shown on ABC1 on 23/4 just prior to showing the new Doctor Who season next week was that of Martha from The Companions episode.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Doctor Who Insider Part 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4Uk5KkbUwY
Old 25-04-2011, 03:31 PM

The Song of Megaptera:
The Song of Megaptera is the penultimate release of Big Finish’s Lost Stories range featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
Written by Pat Mills and released in May 2010.
The origins of this story originally called The Song of The Space Whale was for it to be presented as a comic strip story for Doctor Who Weekly (now known as Doctor Who Magazine) and featuring the Doctor. However as Pat Mills explained in the interviews in this release, his then wife thought the story was too good for the comic strip format and persuaded him to submit it for the TV series then starring Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor.
With the departure of Tom Baker in 1981, the story then had to be altered for the Fifth Doctor and would have introduced companion Turlough but it was put aside for Mawdryn Undead.
Mills then resubmitted the story now simply titled The Space Whale for the Sixth Doctor and Peri but once again it was put aside this time for Vengeance on Varos.
With this release the Sixth Doctor and Peri finally gets to be in this story now called The Song of Megaptera.

Included in the guest cast were John Benfield and Susan Brown (Children of Earth) with the former making an adequate villain in Captain Greeg.
So was the story worth waiting for? I have to say that I can’t give a definitive yes as I found on first listening that the fourth and final episode was better than the previous episodes. Took some repeated listenings to appreciate more the first three episodes.
Parts of the stories I did like included the Doctor saying that he was an inspector for the Wildlife Instellar Life Federation or WILF for short. Undoubtedly this acronym was named after Wilf, Donna’s grandfather. Other parts I liked were the two guards featured here as they are quite a comic duo included a scene when one of them made confused the word ‘laboratory’ with ‘lavatory’, a very cheeky computer and a delirious Peri singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Amongst the parts of the interviews I found interesting included:
- The presentation of the female Chief played by Susan Brown in an all male environment.

- Pat Mills revealing the notes that he had received from then script editor Douglas Adams in which Adams seemed angry with Doctor Who writers.

- Colin Baker speculating the reason why the story did not make it to TV being that of the difficulty of realising the space whale on-screen. An indicator of how the space whale would have looked like in The Song of Megaptera can be seen in two televised Whoniverse episodes Meat & The Beast Below as they both episodes had featured a space whale.
Old 25-04-2011, 08:45 PM

ABC1 will continue to show Doctor Who in the Sunday 5:45pm slot from Sunday May 1 this time rerunning the latest season starting with The Impossible Astronaut a day after its ABC1 debut the previous night.
Old 26-04-2011, 11:01 AM

Doctor Who season 35 makes its debut on UKTV on Tuesday May 3 7:30pm.
Old 28-04-2011, 09:39 AM

The Sea Devils:
In Episode 4, the DVD info text says that Alec Wallis (Bowman) later played a similar character in Revenge of the Cybermen but did not mention the fact that it was directed by The Sea Devils director Michael Briant, obviously why Wallis was in that later Doctor Who serial.
This was inconsistent with the info text earlier mentioning that Briant had previously worked with June Murphy (Jane Blythe) when she appeared in the 1968 Doctor Who serial Fury from the Deep when Briant was the production assistant.
Why mention the fact that Briant had worked with a cast member of The Sea Devils on another Doctor Who serial and not do the same with the fact of another Sea Devils cast member on another Doctor Who serial.
Old 29-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Found out from the DWM facebook group that Yolande Palfrey has passed away.
Born on March 29 1957, Yolande Palfrey appeared in Doctor Who in Terror of the Vervoids the penultimate segment of The Trial of a Time Lord (1986) playing Janet.

Her roles outside of Doctor Who included the Blake’s 7 episode Pressure Point playing Veron.

According to The Stage, Yolande Palfrey died of from a brain tumour on April 9 2011 at the age of 54.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM

The BBC's Original British Dramas trailer includes clips from season 36 as well as Torchwood: Miracle Day:
http://news.whoviannet.co.uk/2011/04...drama-trailer/
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM

As expected the episode starts with the dedication to the memory of the recently deceased Lis Sladen.
Written by showrunner Steven Moffat.
The series title Doctor Who is mentioned twice during this episode.
Funny seeing the Doctor with Laurel and Hardy in the movie that Amy and Rory were watching. Actually it felt reminiscent of Steven Moffat’s own Blink.
Surprising that Amy and Rory have not been travelling with the Doctor for quite some time at the beginning of this episode.
What I definitely did not expect to see was the narration from Amy in the title sequence.
Most shocking moment was seeing the Doctor aged 1103 being killed by the astronaut only to see him again alive and 200 years younger.
A big welcome to Doctor Who of Mark A Sheppard playing Canton.
Playing Old Canton was William Morgan Sheppard who is in fact Mark’s real life father, talk about family resemblance. William is the latest actor to have appeared in both Doctor Who and Star Trek. He was in the Star Trek: Voyager episode Bliss and in the eleventh Star Trek movie. Other sci-fi credits includes two episodes of Babylon 5. Until now I had no idea that he is Mark’s father.
Stuart Milligan finally appears in front of the camera in Doctor Who after previously appearing the Sixth Doctor audio story The Reaping & the Tenth Doctor animated story Dreamland. Here in The Impossible Astronaut he plays real life US President Richard M Nixon. Incidentally there is mention of two of his predecessors John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
Canton says that Nixon was his second choice as President. Presumably Canton voted for Nixon’s 1968 presidential opponent, then Vice President Hubert H Humphrey.
On President Nixon, River says Vietnam, Watergate and there is some good stuff. Steven Moffat showing his personal slight on Nixon perhaps. To be fair Nixon wasn’t responsible for Vietnam and the situation there would have been different if he had been elected in 1960 instead of 1968 and most certainly there would have been no Watergate for anyone to speak of today. This, of course, is merely an assessment of what might have been.
The child who made the phonecall does feel reminiscent of the titular The Empty Child also written by Steven Moffat.
Very funny moment when President Nixon and Canton notices the Doctor in the Oval Office.
Those aliens are terrifying.
The woman in the restroom mentioned Star Trek. This is the second time there has been a Star Trek reference in a Steven Moffat episode after The Empty Child when Captain Jack called the Ninth Doctor, Mr Spock.
Quite unexpected Canton being a passenger in the TARDIS.
What a cliffhanger of Amy shooting the astronaut but not before seeing the astronaut being the child.

If anyone saw the Spooks episode that came on ABC1 after The Impossible Astronaut & Coming To America you would have noticed that too involve a US President in its plot.