Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 15-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Point of Entry:
Point of Entry is the sixth release of Big Finish’s Lost Stories range featuring the Sixth Doctor and Peri.
Written by Barbara Clegg and Marc Platt. In actual fact as explained in the interviews, Barbara Clegg only provided a storyline for Point of Entry and was not developed into a script as it was rejected by the then production team in the 1980s.
Barbara Clegg gave Big Finish the go-ahead to adapt Point of Entry for its Lost Stories range and after choosing not to do the adaptation herself, Marc Platt stepped in to flesh it out to script form. As Platt explained in the interviews he stretched Point of Entry to script form from its initial existence of one and a half pages.
Point of Entry was one of four storylines from Clegg that was not picked up to be made for the TV series. In the interviews, Big Finish producer David Richardson says that Point of Entry was chosen for adaptation due to its surreal resemblance to Clegg’s only TV story Enlightenment (which makes me wonder how different the other three unused storylines were to Enlightenment).
Point of Entry felt similar to the 2007 TV episode The Shakespeare Code as both focuses on an Elizabethan playwright (in Point of Entry’s case, it’s Christopher ‘Kit’ Marlowe) and magic or to be more precise what is being perceived to be magic.
It seems that very few people knew about Point of Entry’s existence prior to its Big Finish adaptation. It is therefore more than probable that The Shakespeare Code writer Gareth Roberts may not have known about Point of Entry when he wrote his episode.
In its own right Point of Entry makes for a fine crackling story.
Quite amusing that when the situation demanded it, Peri impersonating Elizabeth I and the story utilised well the fact of Sir Francis Walsingham being a real life spymaster.

On other parts of the interviews –
Surprised to learn that Tam Williams (Tom) is the son of Simon Williams (Group Captain Gilmore in Remembrance of the Daleks) and that Tom himself had something to do in that Dalek serial.
Quite funny how Big Finish stalwart Alex Mallinson presented himself when talking about his character in Point of Entry.
Old 16-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Tom Baker has officially signed on for Big Finish to reprise his role as the Fourth Doctor and he will be reunited with former companions Louise Jameson (Leela) and Mary Tamm (Romana I).

More details here:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03...s-for-big.html

The most popular of the Fourth Doctor companions is Sarah Jane Smith played by Lis Sladen. Sarah probably isn’t able to be reunited with the Fourth Doctor on Big Finish just yet most probably due to Lis’ commitment to her own TV spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures.
It is probable that recording of the new Fourth Doctor Big Finishes would clash to filming dates of SJA season 5.
Old 18-03-2011, 09:04 AM

From The Doctor Who News Page:
Michael Gough was born on November 23 1915 or 1916 and Doctor Who made its debut on his birthday in 1963.
Gough would make his first appearance in Doctor Who in his well known Doctor Who role in 1966 in the William Hartnell story The Celestial Toymaker playing the serial title character.
Not long after his appearance as The Celestial Toymaker, Gough’s then wife Anneke Wills travelled with the Hartnell and then the Troughton Doctors playing companion Polly.

Gough made his return to Doctor Who some 16 ½ years later in 1983 for the season 20 opening story Arc of Infinity starring Fifth Doctor Peter Davison in which he played Councilor Hedin. Arc of Infinity had also featured Colin Baker in his pre-Sixth Doctor role of Maxil.
Gough had agreed to reprise his role as the Celestial Toymaker in The Nightmare Fair that would have opened the 23rd season in 1986 and reunited him with his Arc of Infinity co-star the now Sixth Doctor Colin Baker, but this story along with the entire season was abandoned as a result of the 18 month hiatus placed on the series the previous year.
The Nightmare Fair itself was eventually adapted on audio twice, one by a charity production and the other by Big Finish Productions but on both occasions he was played by another actor and not by Gough himself. By the time of each of the two audio adaptations of The Nightmare Fair, Gough had virtually retired from acting doing sporadic acting work since 1999.
He was also in the Blake’s 7 episode Volcano playing Hower.
His other TV work have included guest stints included Douglas Fairbanks, Jr Presents, The Saint, The Avengers, The Champions, The Protectors, Moonbase 3, the Campion story The Case of the Late Pig in which series title character was played by his Arc of Infinity co-star Peter Davison.

His film work included playing the butler Alfred Pennyworth in the Batman film series that began with Batman (1989) and ended with Batman & Robin (1997).
His last role was the voice of Dodo Bird in the 2010 version of Alice In Wonderland.

Michael Gough died on March 17 2011 at the age of 94 or 95.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:33 PM

The Sea Devils:
In the DVD info text on Part 1 it says that season 9 which The Sea Devils was part of, that post-imperial Britain’s place in a changing world was an undercurrent throughout this season.
It then states what four of the five stories of the season including The Sea Devils was topically addressing through the fictional storylines. However there was no mention what the final story of the season The Time Monster was addressing topically.
Since The Time Monster featured the legendary Atlantis and its fall, perhaps The Time Monster was reminding/informing viewers just how great the British Empire was before its eventual demise.
The info text says that Hugh Futchner (Hickman) in 1987 was one of several actors considered for the role of a long running BBC science fiction series but did not mention the name of this series. The info text writer was having fun with the viewers as this science fiction series was none other than Doctor Who itself. 1987 was when there was a change of Doctor from Colin Baker to Sylvester McCoy.
Old 19-03-2011, 09:34 AM

It has been confirmed that the UK start date for season 36 is April 23 the same as the US.
Old 19-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Comic Relief 2011 - Space/Time:
http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03...-and-time.html

Quite fun and it obviously gives a homage to the swansong of one of Matt Smith’s predecessors.
My jaw almost dropped with the cliffhanger to Space.
Funny last line that the Doctor says to Amy at the end of Time.

Coincidentally what the Doctor, Amy and Rory experiences in this little adventure is the same as that of Nicholas Rush in the most recently aired episode of Stargate Universe called Twin Destinies.
This Stargate Universe episode made its world debut in the US on March 14 just four days before Doctor Who’s Space/Time.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Gallifrey Chapter Thirteen: Mindbomb
Mindbomb is the penultimate story of audio spin-off audio series Gallifrey season 3.
Written by Justin Richards, it was released by Big Finish in July 2006.
Gallifrey is holding its first presidential election in a millennia. The fact that there hasn’t been an election for a long time meant there are complexities on what is the proper process in conducting an election. Perhaps a message that it is an important for democracy to be maintained as an ongoing at all times.
Lynda Bellingham as presidential candidate Darkel is very manipulative in trying to win this election by any means and Lynda ‘s portrayal of her is well done.
While the Doctor has been mentioned before in the Gallifrey series, the mention of him here is done subtlely and without referring him by name provided that the listener is familiar with the Doctor Who season 15 closer Invasion of Time.
Some surprises in Mindbomb which includes the appearance of someone expected and on what happens at the cliffhanger.
Old 20-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Found out from another forum that the BBC will be launching the prequel to The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, the opening story that begins season 36.

The BBC says:
"It introduces us to the world the Doctor will collide with in the next adventure and watch carefully... was that the new monster..?"
Old 22-03-2011, 07:13 AM

From the Doctor Who News Page:
Michael Sheen will voice a character in 36.4. This was confirmed by the episode's writer Neil Gaiman.
Old 22-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Doctor Who got referenced in the House episode Bombshells when Taub said, “That's when classic Doctor Who comes on the BBC.”
Quite a surprise as House was virtually the last place I expected Doctor Who to be referenced.