Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Your Story and Experiences

Your Story and Experiences If you have ever visited Papua New Guinea as a traveller, please tell us about your experience.

Old 15-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Then and Now - Clifford Soo (1994) - “A piece I wrote after my recent trip to PNG.”

I often, unintentionally, substitute reality with sentiment. The coloured glasses that are tinted by romantic memories of yester-year, cloud and obscure the sometimes harsh, sometimes unavoidable fact that life as we remembered is no longer.

Following six long years, I ventured back to the shores that often grace my thoughts. I visited Lae in September last year.

Unlike the proverbial mid-life crisis that supposedly strikes and consumes even the most stout hearted individual, my visit to Lae was not laced with a desire to re-visit former glories, provide closure on a life once lived, break the shackles of some ghost that still haunts me or to search for or reclaim the inner-child.

While purely a family business trip, I must admit, sitting on the Qantas flight from Brisbane to Port Moresby, I wished I was anywhere but…..

And then it greeted me. The warm and humid breeze, that so often jumps the cue in front of longed-for family and friends, welcomes the traveller at the cabin door. Like the gentle, reassuring hand of a friend, it encouraged me down onto the tarmac and persuaded me that time can stand still.

Familiar sights, familiar sounds, familiar smells; like our favourite pair of jeans, fitted comfortably after all these years.

While my visit was brief, I was able to catch-up with a few people who once shared a part of my life. The faces have aged, the movements have slowed, the youthful exuberance that once graced their soul has matured into the acceptance of responsibility and duty, but the spirit remains unquestionably intact.

Some buildings (landmarks which we often used as children to determine where we should meet friends for lunch on a Saturday) no longer stand. Some have been left neglected and abused. Some have changed owners and have been remodelled, repainted and no longer display the character that once made them a familiar friend.

While I could never return to PNG and recommence a life I once knew, like many of us who have been given the opportunity to live in a place so vastly removed from what we know of the world, I remain captive to the simplicity, rawness and unashamed beauty that is Papua New Guinea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aerial-view-overlooking-the.jpg (40.6 KB, 331 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 17-05-2003, 06:17 AM

KimJen is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to let you know that this was an amazing article that moved me to tears. When I later read it to my mother she too cried. The last paragraph is extremely poignant because it proves what I have always known; anyone who has ever lived in PNG has experienced something special that very few people could ever imagine. My experiences there changed me forever.
Old 19-05-2003, 04:49 PM

me2 is on a distinguished road
me2

I totally agree with you KimJen, the above article also put tears in my eyes. The time I spent in PNG was life changing and the experience was very very special.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 PM

djoe0635 is on a distinguished road
Trips that we carry in this way would be very helpful to us and spending a good time in all these locations is what that helps big time.
Expressing it all here and knowing exactly what is going to be helpful to us has been the right impact.