Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Your Story and Experiences

Your Story and Experiences If you have ever visited Papua New Guinea as a traveller, please tell us about your experience.

Old 22-04-2004, 06:00 PM

GOOSEYGEEZER is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kailaki Village - Sogeri

I enjoy reading about your experiences as a Papua New guinean in PNG. There are many places in Papua New Guinea that don't require having to spend so much money.

One of other places I love visiting, a place I love to call New Zealand in PNG , has to be up in Sogeri. Yes ofcourse, those of you who have been up that way know about the beautiful views and fresh air. My favorite place up there has to be the journey to a village called Kailaki. Oh, it is beautiful. rough travelling, but worth it. I would suggest to you to go up in a Toyota land cruiser or Land Rover. make sure the cushion on your seat is thick enough, because it will be like white water rafting on dry land. You will go past and through cattle and pastures, mud and beautiful scenery, just like the pics in magazines of New Zealand.
kailaki is tucked away in a valley. A village of over 300 people. They are subsisitant farmers, growing corn , vegetables and fruits like watermelon and the famous pineapple, which grows well up there. The people are friendly and you can if you ask nicely or if you befriend one of them, stay with them.. Just make sure you bring along a 10kg bag of Rice and Flour , or if you like pay cash, I'd still insist you do a big shopping, coz they will look after you with fresh food.
Oh did I mention that a river runs right by the river. Thats where you can take a dip. But its cold....brrrrrr....Well, thats only half of what you can enjoy up there. If you are brave enough, try a hike up the mountain side with a group from that village.
Ask around. I am sure some one from Sogeri would like to take you to their village. Its about a 2 and a half ride up there or longer depending on the road.
Ask me for mo info if you want to know.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 14-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
I have to agree that once you get off the road at Sogeri, the surrounding countryside is really quite beautiful.

Recently I went with our pick up vehicle to collect three Japanese trekkers who had walked the Kokoda Trail. It was my first time in all the years I had lived here that I got to go off the bitumen road.

The thing that has stuck in my mind however since then, is the people I saw walking back home to their villages hour after hour with huge loads on their shoulders...heads....bilums....etc Whole families who had been to Port Moresby for the day to shop.

I just couldnt believe what I was seeing in the year 2004. To think we live so close to these people yet so far away when you think of the vehicles one has to own to reach the people who live in this area. We had driven out in a four wheel drive vehicle and had struggled to reach Visilago Village (wrong spelling I am sure) but I am sure anyone from that area will know the area of Sogeri I am referring to. The road was absolutely TERRIBLE and something should be done about it.

But the rolling hills and countryside was a really great sight after being here in the confined houses of Port Moresby.
www.kokodatrail.com.pg
www.quadrahosting.com.au
Old 27-05-2004, 06:53 PM

mona is on a distinguished road
Thanks Gooseygeezer for promoting my village (Kailaki). I am curiously to know when you were around there. Did you meet anyone particular there? It would be good to hear from you.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM

benno66 is on a distinguished road
I've just returned as a Sydney-sider, Aust, spending 6 weeks in Kailaki & 5 weeks in Berebei, on the Sirinumu Dam - I'd have to say Kailaki is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been - not only for scenery, but the people! If any Kailaki lain manmeri em read this - olgeta AVIs noken lus tintin long Kailaki pamilis bilong yumi!!!! I hope someone can read this....!
Ben
Old 03-10-2005, 07:17 PM

Kailaki

Greetings Benno66, heard alot about your (AVIs) friendship with the families in Kailaki Village and Berebei. Thankyou for the comments you made about my people. I am from Kailaki heard that two young AVIs stayed in my family home. Girls by the names of Samantha (Mixed PNG/Aussie) and Kate. As very good friends to my people, you will be addressed as 'vanimeni' (friend). Could you please provide Samantha's surname as my sister Barbara who arranged and helped her to meet her family can not remember. My email address is mona@daltron.com.pg
Aiso (bye)
Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 PM

benno66 is on a distinguished road
vanimeni
notari
noyage
maiteka Kailaki.....

Thanks for the response, mona - that would make you Ken's (Kauka's) child? Can you please pass on my love to all, especially the family of Mark Kone if you have the opportunity! I will email you in the near future... my email is bosu7061@mail.usyd.edu.au

Yaiso
Old 04-10-2005, 09:14 PM

Donphy is on a distinguished road
Hoi Benno66 and Mona,

thanks to read about the respones you've put up in regards to what our goods friends have put in this forum about what needs to be ascertained about Sogeri - the plateau with its stunning and friendly atmosphere. You guys are free to email me on s4046717student@uq.edu.au, at any time you may wish to.

Nagava yaiso

Se Dihuke...!!!

My nick-name is Donphy. I am from the most inland of the Owen Stanley Ranges bordering the Central Province and Oro and part Sogeri.

Iam just enjoying the pleasure of been a member of this site as a PNG studying abroad. I look forward to share with you informative articles that constitute the experiences of a diverse range of guests in this particular site. What an experience to share?!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Donphy
Old 05-10-2005, 02:41 PM

Kailaki

Thanks vanimeni, I am living far from home and it aches to sing that song and I long to see my beautiful village and family again. I am Kauka's last born sister and nephew to Mark and Nou, bubu aunt to their children.
I live and work in the Milne Bay Province with a shipping company as the manager of the branch, and time to time contact my family by phone. That is how I knew of the AVIs.
Man, you spelt it right than I.....congrats!
Yaiso for now.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:49 PM

Nagava

Hellow there Nagava, greetings to you Donphy. Do I know you by real name if you are from Doe village... I have family connection down that way, the Biai Iori (Regena) family.
Yes, this website is an excellent website, I once consulted for it before moving to Alotau, so I know Aussie and gang behind this great website. Hope to meet again.
Yaiso.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:30 PM

Donphy is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mona

Hi Mona, thanks for your reply. Well, my real name is Steven Marama. Dad's from Igonamu Village (Dorobisoro) and mum's from Osabewai Village (Goldie). Iam currently studying at the Uni of Qld. in Brisbane, Australia and having come across this site for some of my UQPNG student Association logo designs came across this page which mentions Sogeri and Kailaki. To my awe, I read through and couldn't believe what I was reading after almost three years here in Brisbane without reading any article mentioning something as such. Anyway, Iam a nephew of Iahuia Mairi (medical officer)- the one married to......I think its Mirriam....(correct me if I'm wrong with her name).... the former... I think....Doe councillor's daughter. Jonathan Orehe is also related to my dad.

The email address I supplied is my student email and as I mentioned earlier, you are most welcomed to email me for I would be glad to receive from someone from the Koiari tribe. Make sure no one else knows my email address.

Nagava

Iaiso

My nick-name is Donphy. I am from the most inland of the Owen Stanley Ranges bordering the Central Province and Oro and part Sogeri.

Iam just enjoying the pleasure of been a member of this site as a PNG studying abroad. I look forward to share with you informative articles that constitute the experiences of a diverse range of guests in this particular site. What an experience to share?!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Donphy