Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > Tour Packages throughout Papua New Guinea

Old 19-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Kokoda Trail - Russell Eroro from the Oro Province

Meet Russ, or as his friends call him, Rusty! of Kokoda Trekking

Forty year old Russell Eroro from the Oro province has just completed trekking the renowned Kokoda Trek for the 287th time. A lot of you might know his brother John Derrick also from Kokoda who is also an experienced guide who has walked over 300 times.

For someone who started so young, that is an exceptional gain, and he is still looking forward to adding another hundred rounds to his trekking list.

Russell has provided services both as a local guide and porter for trekkers coming in from Australia and other countries for 12 untiring-years. Both him and his brother John Derrick and other long time walkers should receive medals for their services to tourism.

He started trekking in 1992, after he left his job as an apprentice in Bougainville - two years before the crisis started.

Editors Footnote : If you would like to join Russell Eroro (Kokoda Trekking Ltd) on a trek, please log onto our Kokoda website for further details :

www.kokodatrail.com.au or www.kokodatrail.com.pg

or CLICK HERE :

Russell Eroro at home on the Kokoda Trail, this photograph taken at Naoro River:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Russell-at-Naoro-crossing-6.jpg (105.3 KB, 917 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 19-04-2003, 12:40 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

He was 21 when he started walking the infamous Kokoda Trail and since then has accompanied a number of trekking companies/trek leaders from Australia and other countries, like ‘Rope, Pack and Paddles’ including few big names like war veteran Clive Baker.

Russell’s experience and knowledge of the history of Kokoda came after he met Clive Baker who works for a war history library in Canberra. This enabled him to become as an excellent guide who was well sought after.

Russell is probably the only local who knows about the history of Kokoda like he knows his way around the trek.

Group of Japanese Trekkers under Russell's control during 2004. At a couple of places on the trail, including the last climb up to Ower's Corner, the young Japanese girl gave up and couldnt lift her leg. Finally, Russell piggy backed her all the way to the top of the mountain. He did this on three separate occasions just to get her home:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japanese-Trek.jpg (92.8 KB, 883 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

For someone who has been trekking for over 12 years, Russell is well known along the Kokoda Track and his services are easily trusted.

“The longest walk I had went on for 11 days, when I accompanied a trekking team from Australia. The shortest was only three with two Israelites,” the energetic Russell said.

“My job as a guide is really is to ensure that the trekkers are safe," Russell said. Now as a trek operator, Russell's responsibilities have grown immensely and he now has to manage staff; plan; meet & greet and train his porters and guides to follow in his footsteps.

Russell & Al Briggs out on the Kokoda Trail:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al-&-Russell.jpg (101.2 KB, 851 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 12:50 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Russell's family in Kokoda have also been welcoming overseas trekkers for well over 10 years to their family block. When you arrive at their home you are made to feel really welcome by all his many brothers and their families.

Sisters are rare as when they marry they go and live with their husband's family but their will be enough sister in-laws who will fuss over you along with Russell's wife and mother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Entrance-Family-Block.jpg (92.5 KB, 839 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Even Russell's 80 + year old father enjoys welcoming trekking guests to his block in Kokoda:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00198.jpg (83.4 KB, 792 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:17 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Russell's mother is seen here leading the trekkers into the family block along with other women who also live in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00197.jpg (102.7 KB, 790 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Russell's daughter Tina seen here on the right in this picture, along with her many cousins love to talk to trekkers.

They take them for a walk down to the creek and show them around their village and how they go about their daily lives.

For us as expatriates, we ask ourselves where are all the mod cons are but for the people who live in and around Kokoda, the have to rely on generators for electricity. It is extremely rare for the women in Kokoda or surrounding areas to have a stove, refridgerator or anything similar as they continue to cook today using wood and open fires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Children-on-the-Block.jpg (120.0 KB, 790 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Russell Eroro standing beside KTL 1 his Mitsubishi Canter which is used to ferry around our trekkers and also as a community service to the people who live in and around Kokoda to take their produce down to Popondetta on a daily basis.

It is available for hire by emailing me: gail@pngbd.com
I will then radio KTL 1 to pass on a message.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KTL-1-&-Rusty.jpg (75.1 KB, 768 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Emirates Pilots came to PNG and walked the Kokoda Trail with Kokoda Trekking in 2004:

Celebration time....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emirates-Pilots.jpg (70.9 KB, 758 views)
Old 19-04-2003, 01:42 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Russell with his guides and porters at the Bomana War Cemetery on Anzac Day 2004:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anzac-Day-2004.jpg (85.7 KB, 729 views)