Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Anything Goes > Entertainment

Entertainment Musics, Movies, Stars and Celebrities

Old 16-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Matt See is on a distinguished road
Hornets’ Nest Chapter 4 – A Sting In The Tale:
A Sting In The Tale is the fourth and penultimate chapter in the Hornets' Nest story with the Fourth Doctor and Captain Yates.
Included in the cast here is Rula Lenska (Styles in Resurrection of the Daleks) playing the Swarm.
The Doctor recounts to Mike Yates of tracking down the earliest manifestation of the Hornets at a nunnery in the 11th century.
The pieces are falling neatly into place.
I found A Sting In The Tale to be most thrilling during the second half including when the Doctor encounters the Swarm.
A very good cliffhanger leading to the final chapter of the tale Hive of Horror.
Old 18-12-2010, 06:44 AM

Snowfall

Cold Snap Part 2:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...lendar_day_17b

An engrossing conclusion to Cold Snap as we find out about the alien creatures that the Doctor and the family he is with has encountered
Old 18-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Snowfall

The Thaw:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...lendar_day_17c

This takes us back to David and Big Jack at the station.
Quite fun the bit about the biscuits.
Fascinating the lead-up to David’s story of how he met the Doctor.
Old 19-12-2010, 08:27 AM

Circular Time - Summer:
Summer is the second part of the Circular Time audio story released in January 2007 by Big Finish Productions. Featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa and written by Paul Cornell and Mike Maddox.

Summer has the Doctor and Nyssa meeting Sir Isaac Newton played by David Warner. Warner had played one of the alternative Doctors in Big Finish’s Doctor Who Unbound range. Another Doctor Who work that Warner has done is that of voicing Lord Azlok in the Tenth Doctor animated tale Dreamland.

The Doctor and Nyssa meets Sir Isaac Newton due to unfortunate circumstances. The unfortunate circumstances being that of the Doctor and Nyssa arrested for forgery as a result of bringing the wrong currency for the wrong era and their meeting with Sir Isaac is due to the fact that he was the director of the Royal Mint.

David Warner’s performance as Sir Isaac Newton is what is impressive about Summer. His performance as Newton is enough to make me believe that was what the real Sir Isaac was like.

Summer includes the Doctor saying about wanting to visit The Council of Nicaea. He does visit The Council of Nicaea in an earlier Big Finish story of that exact name but one that is set much later in the Fifth Doctor’s timeline when he was travelling with Peri and Erimem.

Last edited by Matt See; 19-12-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 20-12-2010, 06:36 AM

P.R.O.B.E.: The Zero Imperative:
Saw in 7 parts on Youtube, The Zero Imperative starting from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhuuDOde1qg

The Zero Imperative is the first in the P.R.O.B.E. (Preternatural Research Bureau) independent spin-off videos released in 1994 by BBV Productions.
PROBE stars Caroline John reprising her role as Liz Shaw from Jon Pertwee’s first season as Doctor Who.
Now on her own without the Doctor, Liz investigates for PROBE paranormal cases.
Included in the cast of The Zero Imperative are four Doctor actors Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy. They all play different characters as BBV could not use the character of the Doctor as the licence to use him belongs to the BBC.
Funnily enough the Baker character’s first name is Peter and the McCoy character’s first name is Colin.
Also in the cast is Leela actor Louise Jameson as Patricia Haggard.
All of the PROBE series including The Zero Imperative was written by Mark Gatiss later to write for Doctor Who on television. Gatiss also appears in his acting capacity in The Zero Imperative playing Dr Bruffin.
The mystery is adequately presented but overall I thought it was a bit slow going and lot more talkative in lots of parts of it than it needed to be.
Some years ago I knew only a few things about The Zero Imperative and that included its cast. Since it had both Jon Pertwee and his former companion Caroline John in it I had wondered whether Liz would say to the Pertwee character Dr O’Kane about him looking familiar to her. Mark Gatiss obviously took account of this as he has written a scene with both Liz and Dr O’Kane acknowledging the history of Liz and the Doctor without infringing the aforementioned BBC licence.
It was quite subtle, a subtlety that is much appreciated at least to me as a long time fan.
PROBE is a Doctor Who spinoff that has been described to be like The X-Files preceding the other Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood which also been given this description by 12 years in 2006. PROBE has also preceded Torchwood for being the first ongoing Doctor Who spinoff.
Remarkably even though Mark Gatiss has written all the PROBE series he is one Doctor Who writer who has not yet written for Torchwood.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:34 AM

Snowfall

Vampire Hurricane Part 1:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/ne...lendar_day_20b

David tells his story of how he met the Doctor.
This story plays on the real world’s current vampire craze but the vampires here have been approached in quite a different way.
Here they are made with the intention of them being toys but things don’t go as planned. Reading the vampires as toys made me think of the teddy bear in Terror of the Autons – they are all very dangerous.
Very very thrilling in displaying the horror of the vampires and the last line which marks the cliffhanger is very creepy.
Old 21-12-2010, 11:54 AM

A Christmas Carol to be broadcast on ABC1 on Boxing Day 7:30pm is reviewed by Michael Idato in this week’s Sydney Morning Herald Guide and gets the “Show of the Week” label.
As the episode has not even been shown in the UK, Idato says that going by what has been shown in the trailer, the music, production design and the effective use of a piece of classic literature it all adds up to be the firmest and finest footprint so far in the life of the Eleventh Doctor.
The Guide also has an interview with Karen Gillan in which she says she looks forward to watching A Christmas Carol, her first Christmas special.
Karen also tells interviewer Frances Atkinson that her favourite companion is Billie Piper and her own theories as to why Doctor Who is so popular during the holiday season.
Karen says that, “Doctor Who is the ultimate family show – everyone can watch it. Adults feel a bit of ownership about it because they know the history of the show and so do the children.
With details of A Christmas Carol still under wraps, Atkinson has quoted from Executive Producer Steven Moffat in which he described it as being all our favourite Christmas movies at once in an hour.
Old 22-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Doctor Who Confidential preview of A Christmas Carol:
It is Day One of a video blog by Charlie McDonnell as he explores the Doctor Who set -
http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...tton-blog.html
Old 22-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Burning Ice:
Part 2 of the story from Doctor Who Times and Blink advent ( http://thedoctorwhotimes.co.uk/advent/) is now available on 21.

Part 2:
Somewhat confused on how the conclusion started but eventually made sense and how the story is resolved fits very well with the festive season.
Old 23-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Part 2 of the Doctor Who Confidential preview of A Christmas Carol:
http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...nd-tardis.html