Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Business World

Old 08-07-2003, 05:52 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Family "put up for sale" paintings left behind by the late Mathias Kauage

……Sons continue the legacy

The late Mathias Kauage from the Simbu province in the Highlands region left behind a legacy in his work of arts.

Kauage, a veteran painter who has been involved in painting for more than 30 years left behind a wife, with three very talented young sons who are now following in his footsteps as artists/painters.

Kauage’s sons John and Andrew are self-acclaimed artists who have indeed taken after their famous father – the two boys have started holding paint brush at a very young age and have now completely mastered their father’s artful skill.

A painting by Chris Kauage the son of the late Kauage. Chris was went through to School of Arts in Port Moresby and his art trainer was none other than renowned artist, Joe Nalo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrispainting500.jpg (58.7 KB, 1288 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 08-07-2003, 05:56 PM

At secondary school age, John and Andrew - have kept a collection of their own artwork. Their paintings are now on sale with the some of their father's paintings.

John’s wife Elizabeth and her three sons are planning to hold an exhibition sometime this year through which they plan to sell some of the work left behind by their late husband and father.
This whole process is still being discussed since it is not whether the paintings are last of Kauge's work.

The Kauage family is currently seeking help from the National Museum and Art Gallery to stage the exhibition, however, little obstacles regarding Kauage's last paintings needs to sorted out before they do.
Unless they have his last works and of his remaining paintings, the exhibition would not go ahead as planned.

The two sons of late Kauage ( Andrew and John) with one of the artist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sons,brother.jpg (56.9 KB, 1196 views)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:06 PM

Kauage’s paintings have been viewed around the world. Though, Kauage is a household name in some parts of the world - simply because of his unique artworks - generally he is very humbled person according to those who knew him.

He was among the first lot of artists who promoted PNG paintings overseas – actually he was one of the first artists who went into traditional and contemporary painting and brought out cultures by the way of painting into the international arena.

Kauage's wife Elizabeth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mother, son.jpg (43.1 KB, 1192 views)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:13 PM

His paintings have been viewed from as far as the European countries like the United Kingdom, England, and in Australia and the United States of America.

Some of his paintings are still on display at the October Gallery in London and other art galleries in the countries mentioned.

John the eldest son of the late Kauage says he decided to follow in his father’s footsteps since he was small. He said he has watched his father at that time he was small and had admired his work.

“I simply admired my father’s work and because we were raised by an artist we became a family of artists,” John said when referring to himself and his younger brother Andrew.

One of the paintings kept by the family of Kauage on sale during the craft market
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (49.0 KB, 1163 views)
Old 08-07-2003, 06:20 PM

“By the time John and Andrew were old enough to hold brush and put the paint on the paper I already knew that they were going to be artists just like their father,” exclaimed their proud mother, Elizabeth.

The date and place for the late Kauage’s exhibition is unconfirmed yet at this stage and an announcement will be made upon confirmation.

This will also be a chance for Kauage's sons to exhibit some of their artworks.

//ends

Son Christoper's painting is likened to Kauage's paintings - Chris grew up with late Kauage and his style of painting is obviously influenced by the late artist
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brothe chris.jpg (55.7 KB, 1156 views)
Old 31-07-2003, 09:56 AM

juabal53 is on a distinguished road
Re: The last of Kauage’s artwork on sale

Kauage started his painting career in 1968. Then he painted for 35 years.

I was convinced that Chris Kauage was one of the sons of Kauage (with his first wife). Is it not so?.

I understood from Kauage himself that Chris Kauage studied at the National Arts School of Port Moresby. Is it not so?.
Old 31-07-2003, 10:02 AM

So far I know, Kauage did not keep any of his paintings at home. Then, it would be impossible for Elizabeth and sons organize a exhibition with the "last works of Kauage". Indeed, I had the last works of Kauage, which he painted at my home in Port Moresby one month before his death and when he was already very sick. Luckily, I filmed Kauage painting these last works!.
Old 31-07-2003, 10:06 AM

I do not believe that Elizabeth Kauage is a "Dame" of England and Kauage was a OBE (Officer of the British Empire), but not a Sir. Or?...
Old 05-08-2003, 11:31 AM

Dear juabal53

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I did the necessary changes to the story based on confirmations on your queries.
I never met the artist myself till he died, though I wish I had in person, then maybe I would not have been misled in thinking that what I was told by his own family I happened to come across during a craft market, was truth in itself.
Obviously you knew the late Kauage's background since you met him in person.
According to his family, Chris was the adopted son of Kauage. Actually Chris was the late Artist's young brother when he adopted him.
The family claim that what was displayed during the craft market were the last works of Kauage, in fact it was some of his remaining works they planned to exhibit! (See corrections on the story)
There are some complications right now about all this but I uderstand the National Musuem and Arts Gallery are trying to sort out this problem
I would very much like to work on another article regarding the work of Kauage, maybe you could help me? It is very interesting to note that you actually have Kauage's last work with you!
Please refer to the corrections above for your other queries!

Kind Regards

Alison
Old 06-08-2003, 03:32 PM

More information...

Dear Alison

If you want more information, please send to me your private e-mail address! (this site admits messages not larger than 1000 characters and it is tiresome to divide my letter in so many parts).

Regards,

Juan