Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province

Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province Enjoy a cooler climate

Old 24-04-2003, 08:02 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
Leahy and Taylor have left a lasting legacy in the Highlands - 70th anniversary !

The 70th anniversary of a momentous occasion in the history of Papua New Guinea passed recently without much fanfare.

This was the discovery of much of the Eastern Highlands, Chimbu, and Western Highlands provinces by the famous Leahy brothers and Jim Taylor.

To this day, Leahy and Taylor have left a lasting legacy in the Highlands through their achievements, which include the planting of coffee as well as the Collins & Leahy empire.

Most notably, April 1933 was when the great Waghi Valley of the Western Highlands was first opened up to the outside world through Mick and Dan Leahy, Taylor, and surveyor Ken Spinks.

They also opened up air travel in the Highlands with airstrips in Bena Bena, Eastern Highlands in December 1932, and the iridescent Waghi Valley in April 1933.

The discovery of gold in New Guinea in 1926 lured Michael (Mick) Leahy and later his brothers Pat, Jim, and Dan into an adventure that opened up the hitherto unknown Highlands region to the rest of the world.

Mick Leahy gave the world its first glimpse of a land that time forgot; of cloud – covered mountains and valleys occupied by thousands of people whose very existence had been unknown before 1930.

He, like his companions and others to follow, were young and independent, courageous and ambitious, self – confident, and above all intelligent.

He took over 5000 35 – mm still photographs and several hours of 16 – mm movies film under most adverse conditions.

These have been immortalized in the famous “First Contact” movie and numerous black and white photographs, as well as Mick Leahy’s edited diary “Explorations Into Highlands New Guinea”.

These additional qualities that he possessed – the ability to see and describe, verbally and with the camera – gives his readers a vivid sense of the man, the land, and the people.

Mick Leahy’s explorations had a lasting impact on the development of New Guinea and earned him recognition by the Royal Geographic Society in 1936 and the US Explorers Club in 1971.

Between 1930 and 1935, he and his companions made 10 prospecting and exploring trips through what is now known as the Central Highlands.

Their grueling travel through some of the most – rugged terrain in the world and dangerous encounters with the natives did not lead them to the El Dorado they dreamed of.

The adventure began in April 1930 when Mick Leahy and his partner, Michael Dwyer, were grubstaked to prospect for gold in the headwaters of the Ramu River.

Along one of these tributary streams, the Dunatina, they were the first white man to look on the Goroka Valley, which sparkled at night with the cooking fires of thousands of people.

They discovered the Waghi River, where bloated corpses gave further evidence of a dense population further up in the Highlands.

They also made the first crossing of the Bismarck Range, the central mountain chain of New Guinea.

The band, including 14 native carriers, ended up at Port Romily on the Gulf of Papua having discovered, among other things, the headwaters of the Purari River.

They traveled by steamer to Port Moresby and hiked 150 miles in 13 days across the Owen Stanley Range (before it became famous in World War 11 as the Kokoda Trail) to Morobe on the Huon Gulf, arriving at their base in Salamaua in September 1930.

Their trip lasted six months and covered more than 800 miles, most of it traveled on foot.

Some of the routes covered previously traveled terrain, including places visited by German traders in prior years, but most trails brought Mick Leahy and his party into areas never before seen by white man.

Beginning in the fall of 1932, the last five of the journeys were into the Mount Hagen area, the most – distant from the permanent Leahy base at Salamaua.

From here, Leahy hoped to prospect and explore the Sepik River, which flows into the Bismarck Sea 150 miles to the north, but this goal was not realised.

Mick Leahy lived to see Papua New Guinea’s independence from Australia in September 1975, an event that he saw as ending white domination and causing ultimate disaster for the Highlands peoples themselves.

Ends

Michael (Mick) Leahy in the Wabag area in 1934. Picture courtesy of Michael Leahy's book Exploration into Highlands New Guinea :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg michael-j.jpg (96.4 KB, 1218 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 24-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

James (Jim) Taylor, the Administration Officer of the 1933 expedition of discovery, at the Baiyer River Divide. Picture courtesy of Colin Simpson's book Plumes and Arrows :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg james-(jim)-taylor,-the-adm.jpg (62.9 KB, 1167 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Danny Leahy, meeting Waghi natives who had never before seen white men !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan-leahy-meeting-waghi-nat.jpg (55.8 KB, 1154 views)
Old 24-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Message from Robert Akepa, Bena Bena Village :

When Jim Taylor and one of the leahy brother's were at Bena Bena (my area) the locals were frightened and scared when the Whiteman unbuckled their belt, to change their shorts.

The locals thought the white men have long ***** when they unbuckled their belts. They normally would flee into the bush and have to be persuaded to come back by the local carriers or boys.

Robert is the son of Sir Akepa Miakwe, former member for Unggai-Bena :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robert-in-off.jpg (14.0 KB, 1130 views)
Old 01-02-2004, 08:21 AM

DANEX is on a distinguished road
robert akepa

hey aussie

we are doing a project on the leahy brothers explorations and would like to interview him. We have talked to you before about him but then our email couldn't get through to you or Mr. Akepa
Old 01-12-2004, 05:15 PM

Apo Mokane is on a distinguished road
The Legacy of the famous Leahy Brothers and Jim Taylor are real. They are part and partial of the History of Highlands Provinces. As an Eastern Highlander I reckon and award at the annual coffee festival is appropriate in recognition of their contribution to the Coffee Industry. Perhaps organisers might consider introducing quiz for school kids at the festival so that the great story of Coffee and its pioneers remains...

Thank you.

Apo Mokane
Local Coffee Grower
Old 08-05-2018, 02:21 PM

ylq is on a distinguished road
<P>Occasionally, true religion outlet in ferragamo the **** air max life hollister online shop of burberry outlet the swarovski canada way toms outlet to stop milwaukee bucks jerseys the pace michael kors outlet of new balance shoes running soccer shoes outlet forward, nfl chargers jerseys an adidas zx instant, suddenly ray ban pas cher look back, mbt shoes I do swarovski crystal not know air max 95 where the true religion body, burberry handbags looking coach outlet at those who have prada outlet long nfl seahawks jerseys been vans shoes bumpy, nuggets jersey looking at coach outlet the lacoste outlet road nfl bears jerseys on rolex watches both adidas sides longchamp of prada shoes life, supra shoes outlet see some trance, nfl eagles jerseys can not help And made toronto raptors jerseys me chi flat iron into cheap oakley the whirlpool veneta of hollister memories.The following are the same as jordans the air jordan shoes "</P>
<P>That **** jordan year, burberry outlet under tommy hilfiger outlet stores the mlb jerseys willow michael kors outlet online sale of ray ban the dansko shoes outlet school, there nfl broncos jerseys were thunder jerseys two girls, sacramento kings jerseys two different lakers jersey pieces michael kors outlet online sale of oakley store paper, jimmy choo two **** air max different small bottles, and north face backpacks then asics buried under the tree, promised converse to tods shoes outlet grow up **** together, and valentino shoes then long Big converse outlet after purses and handbags the burberry sale together to nfl vikings jerseys take north face outlet away. montblanc Set a vows, **** free said longchamp handbags a lifetime washington wizards jerseys of ralph lauren polo words. tommy hilfiger online shop At that kate spade outlet time, hollister clothing store very **** free trainer 5.0 happy. cheap barbour jackets Because pumas there are soccer jerseys two burberry girls, two versace clothes innocent hollister co hearts, tommy hilfiger canada a north face canada sincere adidas clothings friendship, polo ralph lauren the confused future, ray ban uk full of michael kors outlet store curiosity. Unfortunately, timberland pas cher after coach shop factory all, fitflop shoes is too air max small, moncler jackets outlet after brooklyn nets all, **** shoes is wholesale handbags too naive.The calvin klein outlet following are the nfl bills jerseys same belstaff uk as lacoste outlet online the christian louboutin "Gradually, both long champ of tory burch sale us are fred perry polos slowly philipp plein clothes growing cheap ray ban up, at michael kors handbags the burberry outlet online same phoenix suns jerseys time, hollister clothing also oakley sunglasses used to under armour shoes go shopping roshe with mlb jerseys her, used to pandora charms be crazy Hermès Pas Cher together, ray bans chaos, ray ban wayfarer used to sell hugo boss a variety ecco mens shoes of celine outlet snacks cheap jack wolfskin in fred perry the marc jacobs handbags street, obviously they eat ralph lauren outlet online the kate spade bags most adidas online shop That one, but curse celtics jerseys the other nfl steelers jerseys side cher coach sacs like michael kors outlet online a pig can burberry handbags eat.The following are the **** factory outlet same polo ralph as free running the "Through air max pas cher a field, salvatore ferragamo passing a creek, pandora jewellery australia set coach factory outlet online foot on michael kors a marc jacobs handbags wooden belstaff bridge, facing the news hollister kids that never toms.com stop, oakley you shouted mcm bags loudly, that north face jackets I hermes tracksuits Taidalielie, no coach bags friday lady's michael kors handbags temperament, cheap ray ban then, mcm backpack outlet I was nfl jerseys thinking, hilfiger outlet that adidas.nl A fendi shoes ladies ugg australia temperament polo ralph of the girls ralph lauren uk will baseball jerseys you **** roche as longchamp outlet a ralph lauren girlfriend, which bcbg max azria a nfl patriots jerseys ladies temperament burberry girls birkenstock deutschland will oakley outlet online shout at the creek, but coach bags outlet also omega watches in the nba jersey time salomon of many people! skechers mens shoes Then, louboutin shoes we toms shoes are nfl panthers jerseys slapstick ray ban sunglasses outlet in the hogan sito ufficiale field, ignoring burberry outlet online the eyes of ralph lauren uk pedestrians, guess outlet enjoy juicy couture clothings the converse sneakers entertain themselves.The adidas online shop following ray ban sunglasses are the michael kors outlet online same hogan shoes as **** mercurial the "I nfl packers jerseys remember the replica watches most **** roshe run profound polo ralph lauren day, coach factory online just your louboutin shoes birthday, nfl azcardinals jerseys you like the adidas crystal ray ban outlet ball, **** shoes I will true religion jeans outlet accompany oakley holbrook you c.c beanies outlet slowly christian louboutin outlet look, ray-ban sunglasses you golden state warriors found a toms shoes outlet crystal the north face ball, nfl buccaneers jerseys that a huaraches very beautiful, inside detroit pistons jersey the babyliss flat iron glass horloges cover, there are air yeezy two hermes birkin Little girl, just like the cheap jordans two of supra shoes us, their timberland shoes hands air max shoes hold ray-ban sunglasses up two words - reebok girlfriends. However, due oakley standard issue to the economic mont blanc pens situation, did new balance not woolrich clearance buy at that michael kors outlet time. air jordan That day chrome hearts clothings her skechers canada birthday, I **** roshe run bought mcm backpack the ralph lauren crystal michael kors ball, flat iron and wrote longchamp my best wishes new balance for northface her, I excitedly kate spade handbags ran jerseys from china to oakley vault her jordan retro home, nfl lions jerseys to guess shoes outlet give her a michael kors uhren surprise, did true religion jeans women not expect thomas sabo outlet that she would move! rayban Uncle told me that mavericks jerseys you orlando magic jerseys are waiting for pandora charms me red bottom shoes on mcm bags the ralph lauren outlet online bridge, links of london bangles I heard, and under armour outlet quickly designer handbags ran portland trail blazers jerseys to the ray ban bridge, afraid oakley of a late kate spade handbags step, converse you louboutin shoes go.The following are the same new balance store as the toms outlet "When nfl texans jerseys I timberland outlet panting minnesota timberwolves jerseys ran pandora bracelet on parajumpers jackets the bridge, that fidget spinner there are bottega your longchamp shadow, bulls jersey and some, prada handbags just tommy hilfiger a oakley sunglasses cheap small note shoes outlet you left, ralph lauren factory store the michael kors purses note you use the oakley sunglasses handsome givenchy words written "treasure". See this, nfl bengals jerseys the michael kors handbags hands of the **** air gift doudoune north face fell cle Jerseys to polo ralph lauren the ground, the mizuno wave crystal nfl saints jerseys ball new orleans pelicans jerseys broke, barbour and birkenstock I looked nba jersey at the utah jazz jerseys gurgling creek, shed burberry handbags tears, reebok outlet fell barbour outlet store on ray ban outlet the michael kors creek, issued michael kors purses a vans lonely pandora voice, montre femme crying polo ralph lauren outlet that 76ers jerseys treasure ... ...The following are the tn requin pas cher same as **** outlet the coach factory outlet online "Now, coach outlet usa I alone oakley sunglasses cheap walk north face through atl jerseys our jack wolfskin outlet online previous pandora bracelet footprints, swarovski habitually thomas sabo to pull **** roshe run the nfl raiders jerseys right side rolex replica of moncler outlet the warm hand, uhren shop touch it **** roshe run is nfl dolphins jerseys cold huarache air, fixed oakley sunglasses outlet to look at true religion jeans outlet the hand thomas sabo that stretched guciheaven mens shoes out, air max thea mouth burberry outlet online can basketball shoes not help Raise michael kors a coach factory outlet touch cheap true religion of ridicule curvature, birkenstock taschen deutschland habit nfl jets jerseys is really long champ a armani watches terrible michael kors bags presence eyeglasses frames of it.The following lebron james shoes are the same as the **** soccer shoes "Holding coach outlet online a swarovski crystal trace coach factory outlet you hollister co still hermes birkin bag care uggs about easton bats my heart, I went to the school under pandora jewelry the ray ban pas cher willow ray ban tree to air max find christian louboutin the two small nfl giants jerseys bottles, but oakley pas cher only to vibram five fingers find **** air max one, new york knicks jersey I know ralph lauren outlet that I new balance have long air max been indiana pacers jerseys away, dsquared2 shoes and **** free my hermes belt hands tommy hilfiger outlet of omega this, louboutin just mcm handbags You, I opened air max the nfl cowboys jerseys small note jordan retro 11 in **** the michael kors bags bottle, miami heat jersey I naive spurs jerseys that prada sunglasses what mens hoodies is ed hardy sworn, did oakley outlet not adidas shoes expect, but barbour jackets outlet only "goodbye" nfl redskins jerseys ... ...The following nfl 49ers jerseys are nhl jerseys the swarovski jewelry same asics gel as rockets jerseys the "Is ralph lauren still stone island jackets a north face catkins **** uk fly season; nfl jaguars jerseys still air jordan retro is that nfl jerseys gurgling creek; burberry handbags but jimmy choo outlet I dsquared2 sale alone timberland boots boarded rolex watches the hogan bridge, recalled cheap coach purses that year in the giuseppe zanotti sneakers bridge ray ban prezzi wanton cheap oakley sunglasses laughing two **** store faces, and asics shoes now tommy hilfiger online also oakley into a bcbg max bubble, rolex watch Was versace brought ferragamo away ferragamo shoes outlet by the river. cheap oakley sunglasses Night, nfl colts jerseys I iphone 4s cases looked levis outlet up polo ralph lauren outlet at air max 2007 the toms.com sky, **** air max 90 I skechers shoes outlet hope nba jerseys you polo outlet online are juicy couture handbags thinking polo ralph lauren outlet online of mizuno me ralph lauren outlet at the north face outlet this time. belstaff sale You are nfl ravens jerseys like michael kors outlet the **** moon, I omega watches am accompanied nfl rams jerseys by cheap eyeglasses your stars, knowing that coach factory I vans will burberry outlet online disappear nfl browns jerseys in nfl titans jerseys your world, nfl chiefs jerseys you will forget swarovski online shop me, but I wholesale handbags still gucci mens shoes willing michaelkors.com to nfl falcons jerseys accompany you michael kors with this ferragamo shoes quiet huarache night, michael kors until I nhl jerseys completely Disappear tory burch from omega watches your iphone 5s cases life nba jersey ...The following gucci shoes outlet are **** id the easton bats same as the "Acquaintance, coach black friday parting, thoughts coach factory outlet are in memphis grizzlies jerseys that giuseppe zanotti catkins fly barbour mens jackets season, puma online shop catkins fly season, **** running shoes give plein shoes me air force too hornets jersey much michael kors outlet online sale memories. prada "Now, you, air max 90 ok ..."</P> clippers jerseys