Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > General Category > Finding (Old) Friends

Finding (Old) Friends Come here if you want to find and catch up with your old friends. Also try the School Forums if your friend was associated with one.

Old 20-04-2003, 08:39 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

aussie is on a distinguished road
The Bougainville Copper Project

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils :

From the air, Bougainville is a romantic island. Lush and rugged, surrounded by reefs and an emerald sea. Cloud sits on the rain forest that mats the mountains. The tall volcanic cones of Bagana and Balbi smoke sullenly and glow at night.

But along the Crown Prince Range and down on the flat country, life was not always as romantic as it seems from a passenger's window.

Rain, mud, dust, heat, boredom. These are deep in the memories of the men who built the mine. But deeper in their consciousness is another feeling, almost of pride, that they were part of a tremendous and exciting adventure. That they were pioneers.

The Bougainville Copper Project in the then Territory of Papua New Guinea ran from 1966 to 1973 and cost some US$350 million. At its peak in mid-1971, it employed a labour force of some 10,700. The Bougainville Copper Project was not only the largest grass roots copper project undertaking in the world to that date - it was truly a monument to every man who turned his hand toward its successful completion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougainville-map.jpg (33.5 KB, 682 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 20-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Did you spend some time on the Bougainville Copper Project in the sixties and seventies? If you did, they want to hear from you!

There aren't many left and it would be good to hear from those who lived with them in the camps or in Arawa or Kieta and shared with them the experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougcamp500.jpg (28.9 KB, 666 views)
Old 20-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Wouldn't it be great to re-visit Bougainville, drive up to Panguna or swim at Loloho Beach?

The Bougainville Copper Project shaped their lives and many continued in overseas projects.

Others returned to suburbia and ordinary jobs but they, too were forever changed by the experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougcamp5002.jpg (34.4 KB, 660 views)
Old 20-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Where are they all today? Many are settled back in Australia while others stayed on in New Guinea and some are still on the move. When were you on Bougainville? Who did you work for and what did you do? Have you photographs or memories to share which we could publish on this website?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougkietabeach500.jpg (20.3 KB, 637 views)
Old 20-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

I came across this great website on Bougainville and thought I would share it with you all.

If you want to check out their website, please click on the following address :

Email address is : riverbend@batemansbay.com

Their mailing address is :

C/- "Riverbend"
Nelligen N.S.W. 2536
Australia

They very much look forward to hearing from you.

If you have friends who worked on the Bougainville Copper Project, ask them to contact them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougpangcamp300.jpg (21.2 KB, 635 views)
Old 20-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

Editors Note: My second job in Papua New Guinea was working in the office of Watkins Overseas.

At the time I joined we had something like 700 employees working in Bougainville.

I was responsible for making sure their salaries were paid etc and I owe it to Watkins for ever learning to talk pidgin.

Owing to the fact that everything I said or done had to be translated into Pidgin and then back into English made it impossible.

Hence, I told all staff they could not speak English to me only pidgin until I learned to communicate.

So thanks Bougainville for giving me an asset which has allowed me to become closer to the people of Papua New Guinea during my many years here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beach-scene.jpg (33.7 KB, 630 views)
Old 21-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Pls help me to help PNG

can somebody help me

I was just wondering if any one could help me.

My mother met my father in png in 1982 when he worked in the copper mines. i was wondering if any body could help me with any information about people who worked there in that year and who could help me search.

being a long time ago i understand that my chances are very slim but hopefully someone out there can help me.

Ambrosia

Editors Note : Please post more details like your parents name and who knows someone might know them.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:39 AM

Peter is on a distinguished road
Ambrosia, why not post your inquiry on the webpage http://www.riverbendnelligen.com/bougainville1.html ? You may get some replies.
Old 16-07-2003, 05:35 PM

airlink is on a distinguished road
Bougainville Copper Project

In response to Aussie's note regarding BC Project, I was there in the early 70's. Worked in Training setting up the first Supervisory and Management Courses for PNG employees. Worked out of Unit near the Hospital in Panguna then moved into the Mine Training Centre when it was built. At the time this training Centre was the largest in SE Asia.
Still have some Company Newsletters and a couple of brochures which I treasure. My time in Bougainville was special and so was the work, something I will always remember, had a big influence on my life. I went to Bougainville from Oz where I had been working in Training with Ford Australia after emigrating there from UK. Returned to UK after Bougainville then a few years ago met up with a friend and collegue who also worked at the mine on a visit to Oz.
Would welcome exchange thoughts/memories with any old employees.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Milahu is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bougainville Copper Limited

My Father Howard Lintern worked for BCL for about nine years, 1973 - 1982, I attended Arawa High School 1973 - 1975, prior to joining the Australian Army, the best years of my life, looking at the photos brought back great memories. Spent my school holidays in Nukui, Raasu, Kunna and Monoitu villages in the Siuai (Siwai area) with my mate Tony Kasu, who I still maintain contact with. Its a shame what has happen on Bougainville but the National Government and BCL only have themselves to blame, if you ignore the local people's concerns what can you expect.

Milahu Meeng
Mark