Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Business Forum > Business World

Old 19-01-2005, 02:37 PM

***aCe*** is on a distinguished road
Bougainville Copper Limited's Rio Tinto looking for buyers

The mother company of Bougainville Copper Limited (BLC) Rio Tinto has no plans in reopening the mine in the future however, it is seeking interested buyers to sell its assetts to.

Manager of Rio Tinto in Papua New Guinea, Paul Coleman confirmed today (19/01/05) the public statement the comapny issued last year still stays the same.

"There are no plans in opening the mine. We are looking for buyers to sell our assetts to," Mr Coleman said.

The same statement was issued by the company during a press conference held at Crowne Plaza in Port Moresby.

It is understood that the company is keeping a low profile and is working within the requirement of the Bougainville Peace process.

"We cannot do much when it comes to the people on the island. That is matter for the provincial government. But we will support the work of the peace process on the island," Mr Coleman said.

Mr Coleman said the plans for BCL this year depends on what happens on the island.

He pledged the company's support for Bougainville on the coming elections saying that they hope to discuss the mine issue with the elected leaders after the election.

Rio Tinto is a giant mining company in Australia. Its full name is Conzinc Rio Tinto of Australia (CRA).

Ends//
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bougccs.jpg (12.1 KB, 504 views)
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 29-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Jordi is on a distinguished road
Hi there,

Do you have any information, links etc. on whats the situation now in Bougainville?

I mean there are a lot of news these days but what about daily life? Do the people still fear for their lifes?

What will be the election like?

Is the Panguna likely to be reopened? Do the people want that or is there a plan for eco-tourism etc.?

Does Francis Ona have any backing?

What do you personally think about it?
Old 19-02-2005, 09:19 PM

Hi there!

Still no opinion about that? Polls are scheduled now for May. It is hard to get any further information.
As far as I understand, the Mekamui Defence Force still remains around the mine with weapons, but I doubt that it is still a big group.
Someone with an opinion or better information?

Thanks
Old 23-02-2005, 05:15 PM

The peace process on Bougainville has been very successful as far as arms disposal and work towards achieving autonomous government is concerned.

After almost 5 years of violence and fighting on the island everyone's mind is focusing on peace. Only a few people on the island for one reason or another will try or dare to go against the peace process.

Although things have not been that 100 percent with a couple of problems occuring from time to time;( For example, trouble brewing over non payment of security claims) Everyone is experiencing much freedom nowadays, and though there may be certain fears or traumas stemming from the years of violence; everyone is living harmonously with each other and are trying to make ends meet by involving themselves in various activities.

Click here and see Vero's write-up of the coming elelctions

Last edited by ***aCe***; 23-02-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 23-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Is the Panguna likely to be reopened? Do the people want that or is there a plan for eco-tourism etc.?
I don't know for sure if Panguna is likely to be reopened (I'm afraid I cannot say much on this) however, there have been plans for eco-tourism on island. Last year UNDP as part of its committment towards Bougainville met and discussed with members of PNGTI (PNG Tourism Industry) and development of eco-tourism on Bougainville was one area that was stressed during the meeting.

They plan to work together with Bougainville leaders in identifying potential tourist spots on the island before working on achieving plans form eco-tourism.

Quote:
Does Francis Ona have any backing?
What do you personally think about it?
I'm afraid I cannot offer my personal opinion here because this is quiet a sensitive issue.

If you want more information or updates on Bougainville click on the link below:

http://www.geocities.com/belisi_2000/xxrindex.html

peace mate

Last edited by ***aCe***; 23-02-2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old 24-02-2005, 08:36 AM

Thanx a lot.

Got me some links I was looking for weeks!

Either eco-tourism or mining depends on the security. Just read an article about still remaining weapons in Buin. Hope to get rid of this stuff to give the people a future.
Eco-Tourism is good to get the business starting, but it will be hard to get the people there. Eco-tourism is no mass tourism thus they do not fly with charter. But then it gets really expensive if there are only few regular flights.
Anyhow, the island has to work on several options. Eco-tourism, sport tourism, agriculture, mining etc.

Peace to all.