Go Back   Papua New Guinea Forum > Travel and Tourism in Papua New Guinea > The Journey to Paradise > War Wreckages in Papua New Guinea

War Wreckages in Papua New Guinea A collection of wrecks found in Papua New Guinea

Old 07-05-2003, 11:02 AM

WhiskyAlphaOne is on a distinguished road
Question American removal of WW2 wrecks

I have heard that there are a lot of Americans in PNG at the moment trying to and successfully removing WW2 wrecks? Is this true? Can anyone give me any information on this? Iv heard they are both going through proper channels and some are just being taken. Any help would be fantastic.

I was talking to a person who had come back from one of many visits from PNG and he said” seems you cant turn around with out seeing a Yank dragging a plane….)
The information is for a short article about when they are finished striping PNG they will start on Australia.

Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

HotelsCombined.com - Pack full of the best deals
Old 29-05-2003, 01:29 PM
lean and keen ;)

muppie is on a distinguished road
I saw on TV the other day that they need to retrieve the oil stored inside the sunken ships... to prevent the oil from bursting out and contaminate the environment. I am not sure if that's what they are doing in PNG.
Old 29-05-2003, 03:01 PM

juanii is on a distinguished road
thats what. WW2 Wrecks still holding Oil? What kinda oil?, unless a wreck had survived all those years in sea, which I doubt. With the corrosion an' all.... nah....It be quite interesting to know what they plan on doing with the wrecks. If Its' retrieving oil, theres' not much point now in the PNG Waters, most of these WW2 Wrecks are just about gone.

juanii
Old 09-10-2003, 12:41 PM

juanii is on a distinguished road
Well go on, give us the pics...i am interested now.

juanii
Old 08-09-2004, 08:24 AM

riverluv is on a distinguished road
I would like to know if one of the evacuations was a B24- #42-40886. If it was it was the plane on which my uncle was on. We have been noitified by a geneologist that his plane has been found and now my mom and her sisters have to do DNA testing. ANy info you have on this plane would be greatly appreciated
Old 26-10-2005, 01:43 AM

MIZZBAISO is on a distinguished road
I Am Lookin For Anyone Who Knows Any Of The Cilhi Search And Recovery Guys From Hawaii, Who Were In Alotau In 2001. They Stayed At The Alotau International Hotel I Think..
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 AM

apostilleus is on a distinguished road
American removal of WW2 wrecks

THE pilot of a helicopter was killed when his aircraft crashed into the sea near Lae city, just minutes after taking off last Friday morning.Killed in the crash was John Twitt, formerly of Melbourne, Australia.His passengers — three US army officers and an officer with the National Museum— survived, most of them without a scratch.Only one of the US army officers had to be hospitalised after suffering injuries in the crash.The Pacific Helicopters-owned Lhama helicopter had been contracted by Hawaii-based US Army Central Identification Laboratory (CILHI) and was on Friday morning enroute to a downed World War II crash site in Kabwum, which the team was surveying before moving personnel and equipment to the site.
Old 28-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Still Shy

naveed1234 is on a distinguished road
I like Americans they are very self respected and motivate peoples.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 PM

SaipanSam is on a distinguished road
Americans come here to retrieve our dead. Unlike the Japanese, we identify our dead and notify families. The Japanese simply collect the bones with no attempts at identification. If a dog tag is retrieved, that will be returned to the families with a message that their relatives remains were cremated and sent to Yakisuni Shrine in Tokyo.

I am unaware of any scavanging of WWII equipment.
Old 27-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Tobyt is on a distinguished road
Japanese recovering their wardead...

The Japanese have never made any attempt to recover their war dead simply because there were too many of them because they considered those men expendable. Also the Japanese would much prefer that the world forget what they did and that's why they have still refuse to apologise for anything they did. In fact, if you study the history of Japan you will find that not only did Japan escape from having any war trials as happened to the Germans in Nuremberg, most of the large Japanese businesses that helped take part in the war effort are till around today doing business as normal.

The link betweeen the Japanese government, the Japanese Royal Family, the criminal organised crime (Yakuza) and big business is still as strongly interlinked today as it was back then. General MacArthur made the decision after the war that letting these war criminals escape justice was essential to being able to maintain control in Japan after the end of WW2. It was one of the greatest injustices of the last century. Read the historical books written by Stirling Seagrave and you will be shocked as to what happened.